• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pattern for inner door panel for 100-6

Country flag
OK, so I'm going to bite off the next piece of the neverending story of my 100-6. This spring (and late winter) I'm going after the interior panels. The one pattern that I don't have is for the panel that goes inside the doors. I've got the outer panels, that create the pocket, but I need a pattern for the inner panel that actually goes against the inside of the door. My 100-6 is a Longbridge model, but from what I can tell from the pictures I've found, the inner panel looks the same. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Larry

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Actually, I think I have one. I will check this week-end when I can get into the garage. I will take the photos and send as well as the template dimensions.
Do you happen to have an extra Longbridge radiator?
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I did this last winter. For the inner panels (the two big flat ones) I made cardboard templates. There were the largest possible size that would fit in the opening. Haven't bothered with the one on the bottom yet. No particular trick to it, only make sure the top one doesn't get in the way of the door opening mechanism. Bob

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Hi, Healey 106 - That's great news. I'll be looking forward to the pictures and template. No, no luck on the radiator, sorry. I know how frustrating it is to be looking for something. It took me years to finally get the correct top bow with the hook on the bottom, not to mention the Longbridge curtains. It's a never ending process.

How far up into PA are you? We're in New Market, MD, a couple minutes from Frederick.

Thanks again!

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Hi, Bob - That was my current plan, to make cardboard patterns to work from. It looks like Healey106 may have a pattern that he will post, so that would be my first choice. I was looking at the clearance for the door mechanism, should be able to handle that. I keep thinking that it can't be as easy as it looks.

Thanks,
Larry

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It really is simple. I forget who, now, but one of the forum folks from down south sent me a template for the outside panel. The outsides are trickier as they overlap the opening. I found out my doors were not identical (why am I not surprised) and each panel had to be tweeked slightly to fit right. I used a Home Depot hard board which was a mistake, should have used thin plywood. Had a heck of a job getting the vinyl to adhere to the hard board, too hard and too smooth. Bob

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
I still have my original outside panels, so I'll either use them or some thin plywood. I was planning on the hard board, but I'll go to the plywood instead. Same with the front kick panels, I have the original ones, but somewhere along the line a previous owner cut large circular openings into them for speakers, so I'm going to replace them. Thanks for the info!
Larry

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Bob, What type of glue did you use to adhere the vinyl to the plywood?

Larry

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Larry it might be easier to ask me what I didn't use. I tried them all. Finally ended up using 3M "Super 77" this comes in a copper colored spray can +/- $15 a can. Only found it at an Autobody supply store. Tried NAPA and two or three lesser 3M products (the ones in the white can) and they all mostly seemed to stick for a while but eventually gave up. Not sure if the problem was with the spray adhesive or the hard board. Bob

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Thanks, Bob, looks like it's Super 77.