• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

do they exist --- splined steel wheels [not wires]

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
I have a customer who is set on replacing his wire wheels with stamped steel rims.

.............<sigh> on a Morgan...........

He has an image in his head of the old Lotus centerlock rims, but those aren't splined - they're pinned. Same with the MGA deluxe / twincam wheels, I think.

I think the only thing out there is the Panasport / Minilite alloy rims. Unfortunately, this guy wants the early Lotus / Jaguar centerlock look. Ironically, he isn't willing to do the original Morgan stamped steel rims with lug bolt hubs - got to have those spinners.

Is anybody making such a thing? Did it ever even exist, other than a pinned centerlock design?

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
There's a firm called Realm Engineering, in England, who supply old D-type and Dunlop-style wheels with splines.
Be prepared to pay an arm and a leg!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
MGA's had them

OP
eschneider

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
Roger said:
There's a firm called Realm Engineering, in England, who supply old D-type and Dunlop-style wheels with splines. Be prepared to pay an arm and a leg!

Bingo! Great find, thanks! Looks like they have adapters to make those dunlop clones fit a wire wheel hub, kind of like the minilite / panasport.

You're right - bloody spendy. Not sure my arms and legs are even worth that much? Easy to see how they would have to charge those prices though - for a low production specialty custom wheel.....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You've got some strange clients, Eric. :wink:

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
MGA's had them

MGAs only had peg drive, not spline, Tony.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OK, if you click on ~This Link~ and go about 3/4 of the way down, you'll see some spline-type knock-off wheels.

They are Rudge type. They look like the steel ones that used to come on 300SLs and Porsches, but they are aluminum alloy.

Price is 13,000 Euro which about $20,000 USD!

392-3.jpg

DSC00324.JPG

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Man my wallet really squeaked when I went to their site....guess it's the old shade tree in me....I used original E-type wheel with a set of spline spinners from Corvette Unlimited (no cap logo) and with a little more elbow polish they suit me!! Call me frugal!!!

Attachments

• 18717.png
    18717.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,582

MGZT260

Jedi Hopeful
Victoria British has center lock alloys for $1400 a set to fit a B, still not "the look". They even sell bolt on wires, such crassness.

There is the Daytona Cobra look which is available many places, also the early-mid sixties Corvettes had a knockoff option, then there is classic Rudge knockoff from Mercedes Gullwing.

I believe the XK steel wheels were covered by a full width chrome hub cap, so they may have been bolt-on. The Dunlop D-type knock offs appear to be pin drive just like twincams.

Hey, look long enough - (added note: these look to be the same as produced by realmengineering)https://www.racemettleltd.co.uk/wheel.html (mods remove teh link if you need to) steel-look (aluminum), Dunlop style, with splined adapter to fit Morgan!! L280 each before shipping is out of my league but maybe not your customer. What's $1800 plus shipping plus duty (if any) for a full set sound like? Mot really an arm and a leg, now 16" at L450 each is something else again.
MType.gif

DType.gif

42-2%20Spline.gif

This obviously becomes a possible place to get that twincam look no longer available, also.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you don't mind the price, you could fit the Campagnolos of the old Lamborghinis (they'd be cheaper than those Mercedes wheels!). At 7", too wide without flairs.

Proof that they fit an MGC splined hub:

islerowheel.jpg

mgcwheel.jpg