• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Crystal ball says: "New Vehicle in my future?"

Bret

Yoda
The Challenger thread prompted me posting this, but it looks like I'm going to have a new addition to our stable early next year.

The wifey & I had an interesting conversation last weekend and believe it or not we where actually talking about vehicles. A subject she never really feels comfortable with, but was for some reason interested this time.

So during that little chat – I mentioned that I was thinking about selling my 4x4 Supercrew that currently sees double duty as my daily driver (when I ain’t renting vehicles) and as the weekend pack-mule. What I proposed was a vehicle dedicated daily driver and still be able to haul a couple kids around and still haul all my tools & test equipment. Then find an old beater truck for the weekend duties.

But it looks like the wife is a little attached to the truck and actually suggested that we payoff the loan on the truck rather than sell it. Then I can purchase “whatever” vehicle I wanted. BTW Did I mention what a great gal my wife is? I think I’ll keep her.

Anyway it’s important to note that there was no mention of the 78B just keep our truck and get the vehicle I want.

What is the new vehicle you ask? A shinny new 2006 Mustang GT. Probably ain’t going to happen until late February or early March because of some major landscaping & construction we’re having done to the house right now. But I have already started collecting the brochures and scanning the various Mustang web sites in preparation. So far it turns out that on the Dollars to Ponies scale a “loaded” Mustang GT is a pretty darn good deal. So for well under $30K you can have a cool car with 300HP and can do 0-60 in 5.1 seconds!

Wish me luck!

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifLucky guy! I had to trade off my '02 F-150 Sport(nothin' fancy, v-6, auto, all black, but still got 20mpg on the hwy, oh yeah, and it was paid off) I was using as my DD, for a Focus wagon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif Ah, the joys of having a new baby, two pickups, a Vette, and a Kia Rio... Least it's loaded. Looks like no Lightning clone for me. I'd be happy with a v-6 'stang, well maybe when the Frokus is paid off. BTW, you gotta love the multi colored dash lights!

R6MGS

Yoda
I looked at Mustangs a few months back before buying the Jag...a really good value for the money...I really like the standard GT rims...but I think if your going to go for an American sports car for $30,000 you can get a few year old Corvette and you're doing alot better(especially with resale)but if you need back seats then the Mustang is a great alternative.

G

OMG I am so jealous Bret! This time last year I was well on my way to getting an 05 GT, but things just didn't work out with price/availability and my car at the time starting to die prematurely. Anyway, just watch the price gouging as the car is still a way hot seller and some areas still have a several month wait to get one. If you haven't driven one yet go do it, you will want the car tomorrow! It is everything a Mustang should be, loud, possibly the loudest stock Stang I've heard since the 70's cars, loads of torque, just a hoot to drive. I liked the base GT wheels the best (torque thrust look alikes) over the more modern looking upgrade wheels. The torque thusts are a classic muscle car wheel, and they look so at home on the retro styled Mustang. If you need true back seats though for hauling kids and whatnot just try them out beforehand, the seats are tiny, and there is hardly any legroom. If your kids are still small though this won't be a problem, as they are probably the only ones that could fit back there comfortably.

Did I mention how insanely jealous I am of you right now!

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Very cool. As you know, I like the looks of the new Mustang. The interior looks quite nice -- if only Ford would put that type of thought into the rest of its products.

I still have trouble with the near $30,000 loaded price, though...I understand that all cars have gotten expensive, but the thought of the "affordable" pony car nearing the $30K range seems strange. Too bad you can't get one for $2372 base and $4000 fully loaded.

G

Yeah, the convertible is over 32K, pretty steep. I was planning on a sticker price of 28K on the 05 I was looking to order. That was for a GT with the premium package (leather, a few other things), the interior upgrade package (color adjustable gauges, chrome and aluminum interior trim, etc.), a 5 speed, and the base wheels. If you throw in the upgrade wheels and the top end stereo you're easily at that 30K mark, and that was on an 05, I'm sure the 06's are a tad bit higher now. My problem with getting it was I couldn't find anyone who would deal on the car. If I placed an order when I was looking to buy, which was last June, I would MAYBE have gotten my car by christmas, and most dealerships were asking 3-4K over the sticker price. I know I've ranted about this before but it just pisses me off to no end. Let me know what kind of deals you find out there Bret, I'm very curious how things are going with Stang sales these days.

Here's a funny twist. One of my wifes best friends, her sister just won a completely loaded 06 from a dealership contest here in Jersey. Silver car, 5 speed, every option, sticker right at 30K. Turns out she doesn't want the car, she had to pay tax on it and also has to claim it as income on her taxes at year end. She wanted to know if I wanted the car for 26K, ACK! If I hadn't bought the Subaru a few months back I would have jumped on this in a heartbeat. I don't think she will have any trouble unloading it at that price (if she hasn't already). Funny how things pop up in your life that could have been if the timing had been different. I love the Subie dearly, but I would have loved the Stang even more.

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My main race car is a 2001 Mustang Cobra (315hp) and those new GTs are at the performance level of where the Cobras were pre-2003 it is great looking car and $/hp ratio.

Of course you could wait a little longer and get a 500+ hp Shelby Mustang.

b023-bizshelbyfrontko-0305n_03-23-2005_GL50A95-2.jpg

G

My buddy was down from Mass this weekend visiting family for the holiday. Friday we went out for a more or less aimless drive and ended up at the local Ford/Chrysler dealership. He wanted to look at the new Charger Daytona they had on the lot, I went over to scope the new Stangs. Surprisingly, they had 7 new GT's on the lot, 2 were verts. If I had the money I would have bought one on the spot, they had the car I pretty much wanted. GT premium with manual trans, interior upgrade package, in Tungsten with black interior. It also had the chromed bullitt wheels out of the SVT accessory catalog on it, which looked amazing but were a bit pricey. Sticker on this car was just over $30K. They also had my second choice of color, Windveil blue, nearly same car but with the regular painted bullitts, didn't see the sticker but I'd guess right around $29K. The place was dead, no salesman even tried to chat us up. Wish they had, I'd have asked how willing they were to deal on the prices. As much as I love my new Subaru I'll admit I did give it a glance thinking what I could get for it in a trade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif I pushed that thought out of my head quickly though, I'm better off with the Subie as a daily driver, I have a back seat, four doors, a big trunk, and few worries when the white stuff starts to fall.

JFC

Jedi Hopeful
I'm in similar shoes Frank. A 13 year old, 2 year old and one arriving in January. We have the mini van, suv, and my two fun cars. I would love a new GT. Good for you Bret!