• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye top and tonneau help please

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Never installed a top or tonneau before, and am thinking about installing both myself on my Bugeye next week. Does anyone have information how to do this? What special tools do I need? It looks fairly simple, but I have been tripped up numerous times before on this car trying to work on "simple" things. Any information or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do it in the sun on the hotest day of the year. It is a real streach job.

RickB

Yoda
That day may never come.
Do you have enclosed space you can heat up to do the job?

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Do you have the front and rear rails?
Do you have a leather hole punch?
Do You have a heat gun? although this is summer, do you get sun in WA!!! ha, ha, ha
You are sure to say the following during the installation of the top, "I'm sure this thing is too small!" "They gave me the wrong top!"
Scott in CA

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
If I wait for the sun this year, it may never get hot enough. This is supposed to be one of the coolest summers on record this year. My garage is enclosed, and I do have a heater, so that is a possibility. I also have a heat gun. I have the front and rear rails, new ones from Austin Healey Spares, and I think I also have the originals that came with the car. Will a metal punch work for leather? What does a leather punch look like? Do you need anything else to install the hardware? I do have the original top - not in very good shape, but couldn't I just match the hardware to it?
Kevin

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Some one will weigh in who's done it, as I have not, BUT, from what I've heard, if you warm them up and do them on hot days, they're a real bear to put on when you want to use them; when it's cold and rainy. Other have recommended installation when it's cold out and not stretching them. The problem then becomes that they are too loose and flap in the wind when driving, but are much easier to erect.

Pick your poison.

RickB

Yoda
Personally I think doing it in a heated garage would be best, not too loose and not too tight.

Leather? What leather? I hope your top isn't leather.
Thick vinyl, yes and yes a hole punch can get through but you may have to press hard.

The MK1 top isn't real hard IMHO - My biggest problem with doing a MK2 top (just about the same) was that mine was way too tight. I did have to wait for a sunny day then really stretch it to get it on. Mine was an old (but very new condition) AMCO top that had shrunk a bit. After getting it to go on I left it on for several months through different weather. Now it goes on and off easier.

Is yours fitted with the front and back bars now? Are the corner fasteners already on up front?

When making holes mark and measure and measure and measure.
You can measure lots of times before cutting a hole, but after you make the hole it's there for life.

No pressure.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Rick, reminds me of the advice my Dad taught me in wood working, "Measure twice, cut once". Maybe the idea of a heated garage will be an intermediate temp that will allow me to put it on later when it is cold since I can always heat the garage and put it on there. Almost forgot about the side curtains - thanks for the reminder. I have never actually installed them before, and it is definitely something I should fit first. I guess I will take a shot at the top first next week. If it looks like I am going to have problems, I may just take it in to be done professionally. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Kevin

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not really problems, it is just a pain.