• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye Seats

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
How do the seats mount? Can I mount the passenger seat with out the adjustment runners? Can I just use the brackets? Does the driver's side have to have the brackets used for the passenger side under the adjustment runners? I am wondering about seat height and all that jazz. Moss is saying that all is need but I am wondering what exactly I can do. I don't really care if the passenger seat is adjustable, but I do want the seats to match vertically. And I want the driver's side seat to function--hopefully without the brackets.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The wooden spacers, just that, spacers are on the drivers side as they are needed to allow for the seat adjustment stuff.

The passanger side is different as it has little flanges that hold the seat up a bit but is not adjustable.

I made my spacer strips from boat building plastic stuff, heck you could use just about anything to raise the seat. Orginal was a couple peices of wood, nasty stuff in a car. A stack of washers would even work.

There are capture nuts under the car on both sides for the seats.

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Thanks Jack. How about making me a set of those plastic jobbies? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just went out and looked, not enough material to make another pair and I hate to go ask for more.

Make em out of wood, 1/1/4 wide 1/4 inch thick as long as you need, holes where you need for seat. Coat em with some good stuff so they last for ever or use marine plywood or out door treated wood.

bugimike

Yoda
I have a bunch of it! It's called "starboard" in the marine industry and is also used in the sign business for sign boards under the name "Sintra". It is basically PVC board (same stuff as white plastic plumbing pipes) Do you need enough strips (4) for both seats? I also have it in two thicknesses, 1/2" & 3/8".

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Thanks Mike. I would imagine that I only need enough to do one seat (2 pieces.) Jack says at least 1/4 inch, so 3/8 should probably work just fine.

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
The foam that comes from a Moss and VB. Is there a difference? Does the backing have the "ribbs" formed into the foam?

I'm trying to get an order ready for Tony and need to pull everything that I need together. VB lists a few extra pieces than Moss. Hummmm? Seat rails are different between years also, (according to VB.)

bugimike

Yoda
I also have some 1/4" which will work better (If you are like me, the lower I sit in the car, the better I like it! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif ). I will cut it this weekend and send it to you! PM me with a mailing address.
PS: Since there are possible differences I will send you two oversized strips that you can trim to size and will also let you locate and drill the necessary holes (the stuff is very easy to cut and drill as it is quite soft!) In fact, if you still have any of the old wood you could probably use that as a pattern, or even use the rail as a pattern! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Thanks Mike. I will send you a PM with my address. The 1/4 inch will be great!! I wish I had some of the old wood to make a temp. It is long gone. I don't even remember having it when I took everything out of the car. How Much do I owe you?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
1/4 inch will work fine. Cuts with regular wood tools.

Outstanding that someone, Mike, had some.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I bought new rails for my seats two weeks ago. The seats were out of the car when I purchased and I didn't get these. I do have the runners though still attached to the seat frame. How do the runners attach to the rails? Looking at the catalog pics for the replacement rails it shows holes that go along the vertical edge. I've only got about 8-9 square holes.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OK...now I feel really dumb. I just had a chance to look at my rails and the runners. There's a lip on the rail that slides into the lip on the runner.

My gray matter is shot for the week. I'm going to bed so I can operate heavy machinery tomorrow...like the coffee maker.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lip to lip is it. Hmmmm.

Yep just slide in.

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
After talking with Jack and Tony, I have been searching for an upholstery shop to do the seats. The best quote so far is 450 a seat. Man!! I remember about 150 per bucket seat not too long ago.

bugimike

Yoda
Boz, why don't you check out the parts listings on ebay. They regularly have seat re-upholstering kits in the $150 range for BOTH seats!!! Look at them carefully though, as some look fairly authentic while others are just plain "not right"!

Country flag
Those from the Utah vendor? Ask Drew (drooartz) about them.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
"Those from the Utah vendor? Ask Drew (drooartz) about them."

I have been told you get from him just what you are paying, cheep stuff that does not fit correctly.

The Sprite list had several folks discussing his lack of quality.

By the way, more expensive but the Moss stuff is great, good quality and fits well.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've met that Utah seller when I was first looking for a car. He was very nice, but I never bought anything from him.

Quite a few folks on the Spridget email list have bought those covers, and none seemed to be satisfied -- the fit wasn't very good at all, according to accounts.