• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What other seats fit a Bugeye?

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi to all, I want to drive my BE to the Jubilee in May, but with a bad back I know the stock seats would do my back in. It seems like I saw something on Miata seats awhile back, but I cannot find it. Are there any good aftermarket seats available that have the ability to recline? Is there a decent seat I can get out of a wrecked car that will fit in the BE without a lot of installation work?
Thanks,
Charlie

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Charlie,

Got a set of Miata Seats sitting ready to go into Bugsy my '68 as soon as I get done welding and doing bodywork. Seats look nice and sit even better. They do recline and have headrest speakers. You will need to
A) Drill new mounting holes being careful not to drill through brake line which runs directly underneath one of the logical spots to drill a new hole OR.
B) Feet on Mazda Seats are at a 30 degree angle on the mounting feet. I've got a template for an adapter that can be used to bolt the seats in using original mounting holes.

I found a set of seats out of a 1996 in Black Cloth for $150.00. Call around and bargain with Junk yard. They will deal. Seats 200+ are a little thinner. Space sideways in a SPRIDGET is limited. I've read any wider than 19" and you are SOL. Someone on this list bought a set of "Race Seats" off of the Web only to find out they were too wide to be installed in a SPRIDGET. Since MOSS Reupholstery Kit runs $250+ I opted for the Miata Seats. I was tired of sweating my as_ off on BMC Vinyl Seats happy to go to cloth.

I'll know more when I finsih install in MAy after welding and bodywork are completed.

You can use this link to look for seats in your area.

https://www.car-part.com/

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Hi to all, I want to drive my BE to the Jubilee in May[/QUOTE]
As soon as you know your route, lemme know...some of us from north Alabama are going to convoy over using "blue" highways & staying off the interstate wherever possible.

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
So far I have not planned a route. If you have one in mind, please share it and several of us can join your convoy. Staying off the interstate was my thought also.
Charlie

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I looked at Miata seats today and they have the built in head rest. Are there any seats out there that the headrests can be removed so they are more like the original BE seats?
Charlie

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've been looking in car windows today. I had a Suzuki Samuri that had removable headrests - not great seats though. Hyundais might Rabbits too - go to a u-pull with a tape measure - I know the miata dimensions are around here somewhere

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks John-Peter! I have found some seats that look good at Sports Car Accessories. I need to measure my old seats to see if the fit will work before buying anything. Their Corbeau Seats brand looks good. The "Sports Seat" and the "Classic II" by Corbeau look like possibilities if I take the headrests off. Check them out on https://www.sportscar-parts.com
Charlie

Country flag
I'm thinking that you should customize your existing seats for comfort. Most racing seats will be less comfortable and harder to get into, and make boot access troublesome. I would think you could find a local upholstery shop to help make the bugeye seats tailored to your "back's needs".

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Add a lumbar support.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
I've been through this recently on my Spridget Project; the '62 Sprite has the same basic floor/seat layout as the BE.

I initially thought I'd install a cushy, comfortable pair of seats even though they may not be strictly in keeping with my mid-sixties weekend racer theme. I measured and bought a set of seats from Summit Racing; the seats would "just fit".

[image]https://store.summitracing.com/largeimage.asp?part=SUM-G1159-1&Prod=Summit+Sport+Seats&img=sum-g1159-1_cp.jpg[/image]

When I did a trial fit on the seats they were tight...even without the emergency brake handle installed. AND, keep in mind, this is also without sliding tracks as my car will be set up with rigid mounts. I considered taking the driver's seat to an upholstery shop and having them do surgery on the right front to accomodate the e-brake handle, but decided against that as the look was still not what I was after.

They went back to Summit for exchange on the Kirkey racing seats I should have bought to begin with.

[image]https://store.summitracing.com/largeimage.asp?part=KIR-41511&Prod=Kirkey+Seat+Covers&img=kir-41511_w.jpg[/image]

The distance between door and tunnel is about 20"...subtract 2" for the e-brake handle and you'll need a seat that's 18" in width...not many are.

I'd be sure that whatever seat I bought could easily be returned for a refund.

Ray