• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recovering Bugeye seats

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
My Bugeye seats looked good and were relatively comfortable, but I'm changing from a black with red piping to a dark blue with light blue piping, so I started stripping them today. The metal is in decent shape and they have a mix of batting that needs replacing, but I don't have pictures of what they originally looked like. Does anyone have pictures or a tutorial on rebuilding Bugeye seats they can share? Advice? The cars close to coming home and I'm chomping at the bit!
Thanks, Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rut I've got a few things I can send. Working from home today so I'll find a few spare minutes and forward.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks guys! I started to recover what I had and I just couldn't do it...too anal.
Rut

lewmac

Hi Rut,

Heading back from Japan today but I have in the storage garage both original and new stuffing (what do they call it ?). Have to go there on weekend to pic up some RHD parts to take back to Australia at Xmas, so can take some pics and also trace out the new stuff, if you want sizes. These came from AH Spares.

Finally got my rare Ashley Hardtop and Sebring Front shipped from UK last month with an unmolested RHD dash and another RHD Steering rack. Shipment has cleared customs and will be delivered next week. Will post some pics of Ashley hardtop when received

Cheers
Lew

Thanks guys! I started to recover what I had and I just couldn't do it...too anal.
Rut

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just sent you three emails with lots of seats covering disassembly photos. I used them as my source for reassembly.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ray to the rescue once again! Those pictures are just like my seats, but the horsehair squab had been replaced by a very similar black plastic squab that has good cushion to it...so similar I thought it was horsehair at first glance! Let me know what you want for the horsehair set since I think I'd rather use that than foam rubber.
Thanks, Rut

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a set of new AHSpares XUPY152. Also two homemade pieces of felt cut to the proper size for the back of the back (if that makes sense). I also have an original very serviceable used set. Your choice.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ray,
Could you please email pictures and prices? I'm still not 100% sure of what I need.
Thanks, Rut

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ray I think upholsterers cal that piece the "outer back." But that may not make much sense either.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well, I finished wire brushing and painting the seat backs and they were in really good shape, so I had high hopes that the seat bottoms were in equally good shape...not so. One seat pan is salvageable, but the other is so thin I don't think I'll even try. Who makes good pans for less than an arm and leg?
Thanks, Rut

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
attachment.php
attachment.php

The squab on the left is OEM. The squab on the right is new AHSpares XUPY152.

The back of the back piece on the left is OEM. The piece on the left is my felt homemade version.

Attachments

• BE Seat Back Squabs.jpg
    BE Seat Back Squabs.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 85
  • BE Seat Back Felt.jpg
    BE Seat Back Felt.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 80
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ray,
Thanks for the pictures! Please let me know what you want for those. Do you possibly have the foam seat bottoms?
Thanks, Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Whichever ones are in the best shape. Going to place an order with AHSpares for the foam and other assorted goodies tomorrow, but would prefer to use yours.
Thanks, Rut

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
AHSpares $25. Shouldn't be any additional shipping cost with the other stuff you want.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
The Sprite seats/interior refurbish is VERY rewarding. I like that color choice. My driver's seat foam/webbing
was awfully saggy but I retained the originals for fear I would be even MORE above the windshield with my forehead.
I reasoned the right seating position for me was as low and back as I could get it. The actual work isn't too bad.
Rolling the leathers down over the seat back was fun. There are some places where you pierce the material on the side
that I skipped. Couldn't bring myself to put holes in those pieces.
I know you are pleased to get yer hands on it. Pics....pics.....

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Reupholstery is done best outside on a warm day so the material stretches easier. I agree with the piercing. Hard to hide afterwards.