• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A BRG Paint code [again]

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi all
Got my restoration project ready for paint. The shop wants to use PPG Envirobase. I want the dark BRG color which has the factory code "75". Can any one give me the PPG equivalent. I think that this was the 1975 TR6 color
Thanks in advance
Al

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Joe Curry posted a long time ago that Triumph code 75 was PPG mix 42487 That number is probably obsolete (and was certainly not Envirobase), but maybe your shop can cross-reference it.

OP
S

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey Randall
You really do have all the answers. Unfortunately PPG does not have a cross reference for 42487 in the Envirobase (water based) line.
We are going to try something close which is Jaguar BRG and add a little blue.
We are making up some test samples and trying it out on spare sheet metal.
If any one is interested, I'll post the formula
Breaking News: PPG does cross reference 42487 in their Deltron DVC (2 stage) and Concept (single stage) lines
They are emailing me the formulas which I will faithfully pass on.

Al Shoop

OP
S

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Screen dumps of codes

Attachments

• dbc paint code.jpg
    dbc paint code.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 78
  • paint code.jpg
    paint code.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 51
OP
S

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
No NY restrictions. It's just that the body shop is set up to mix up Envirobase but they can buy DBC from a local supplier. 45102 is the number that I have been looking up but no cross-ref for envirobase. I'm going to order up a small quantity of the DBC to see what kind of match it is.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Post a pic if you can...I think I would like that color for mine! Unfortunately the PPG paints are highway robbery. The last pint of DBC I bought was $78/$124 per qt.

OP
S

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just got off the phone from PPG mixer. Ordered 1 Oz each of the two formulas. $10. each
Picking up Sat. Will test spray and take a picture. Post it next week

OP
S

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
OK. Tried the samples. DCC on top, DBC on bottom
The DCC (single stage ) was the closest to the original "75". The DBC base coat/ clear coat was not quite as dark and closer to the "25" code . Also attached is the formula from the Allard car which is a pretty snazzy car but somewhere in between the other two.
I have decided to go with the DCC formula. The estimate cost is $500 / gallon which is probably way more than I need even including the interior.
Good luck every one.

Attachments

• allard.jpg
    allard.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 54
  • allard1.jpg
    allard1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 67
  • good small.jpg
    good small.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 61

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The DBC has an olive tone to it. Of the 2, I agree, the DCC looks the most accurate.

Usually the 2 types should look identical, with the clear coat giving the DBC a better gloss...and much more durable shine. I would imagine they have trouble mixing exactly with such small samples. I used to use paint scales to balance engine parts as they are the most precise scales I have ever found. The smaller the paint sample they mix, the more difference a small mix error makes.

The DCC is most popular in trunks and engine bays, where it is difficult to uniformly spray the clear back over the base.

For planning, my TR3, painting the entire tub and all the back sides of the wings, bonnet, apron, etc., it took 1-1/2 gallon of the DBC. Every time I pay $2k just for the paint on a restoration, I think of my Old Man, who used to put $100 MAACO paint jobs on all his cars. Of course, his paint looked good for a month. Modern Urethanes last decades.

OP
S

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Good info. By the way is your estimate of 1 1/2 gallons for your TR3 including the reducer and hardener? They recommended 3 qts paint, 1 1/2 qt reducer and 1 qt hardener totaling 5 1/2 qts, 1/2 qt less than your estimate. For reference, that entire order comes to $630 including tax

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
No, the 1-1/2 gallon was just the DBC! But, that was painting every square inch of the body, inside and out, and the DBC does not get hardener. For most cars I have done, a gallon is about right, with just enough left over for later touch-ups. The TR3 has a lot of removable panels that ran up my total the extra half gallon.

Since you are using the DCC...the hardener does increase the volume to make an even gallon, which should be pretty close. You can reduce what you need a bit by using a primer that compliments your color...in your case using a black primer instead of light grey. Also, most paint shops charge almost the same to mix a gallon of color as they do for 3 quarts. It may be worth asking them the price for a gallon of the color. You wouldn't have to purchase the reducer and hardener unless you needed it later.