• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Brake hose replacement

M

Member 10617

I am going to have my rubber brake hoses replaced with stainless steel braded brake hoses. I plan to buy my hoses from Moss, who offer two sets: "Goodridge" brand (From England, $115.95) and "Colbalt" brand (USA-made, $64.50). Other than the price difference, is there a significant difference between these two sets? Any first-hand experience with these sets? Or other sources?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I got mine from TRF. I was going to just replace with the original style but they were out of stock and Albert offered to send me the braided for the same price.

Glad he did -- I don't think it is my imagination that there was a pronounced improvement in braking with the braided.

OP
M

Member 10617

Thanks for the idea Randy.

George: I don't think it is your imagination. I've read several places that rubber hoses expand a bit when brakes are applied, softening just a bit the action of the brake fluid, while braided hoses stay stiff. Moreover, I would think there is an added safety factor with braided stainless steel hoses in this most critical area.

But... can someone comment on the two sets available that I've mentioned? There is quite a cost difference between them. Both sets, I am sure, do the job, but are the English hoses a cut above?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, I can't help with the ones from Moss. But Ted sells his for $70 and I've been very happy with them. He sells to a lot of racers, so I feel a lot more confident buying from him than buying the "cheap stuff" at Moss. And brakes are definitely not the place to try to save money!

Might be worth pointing out, the SS braid is only protection against abrasion. The pressure is held by the inner tube, which is made of Teflon. The SS braid is required because the Teflon can easily be abraded.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Ed-

I bought a set of Goodridge a few years ago when I had a job in England (at a lot less than $115.95). They are nice but I can't see why they'd be at that kind of premium. The ones I have are also vinyl clad on the outside, but as Randall notes that is not what is helping with the pedal feel.

Randy

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm with Randy; I have the Goodridge set from MOSS for many years, but I'm sure I bought them for probably half the current price (knowing me).

No problems with them, though....

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Randy, thanks for linking Ted's site. He offers some TR3 specific services at reasonable prices. Something for me to think about for the winter "layover"....

OP
M

Member 10617

Thanks all. Randall: Thanks for the explanation of what is within the SS mesh and how it functions. I knew that the SS hoses don't expand as rubber ones do, but I thought it was because of the mesh. Didn't know that teflon was inside.

Ted's SS hoses and Moss "Cobalt" hoses are about the same price. I assume the TRF ones are as well. The Goodrich set is about double the price. I have to think that they all have to be good quality inasmuch as these are well-known suppliers and the hoses play such an absolutely critical role.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Let me add my experience here. I posted a question about banjo bolts earlier because the Goodridge hoses I bought do not work with my early 56TR3 with Lockheed drum system. The female connectors are to short, which means that the bolt hits bottom before sealing against the copper washers. Goodridge sent thicker washer but that still did not solve the issue. I guess I could use several washers but I would prefer not to do so, and don't see why I should have to do this. Goodridge has offered to machine the bolts to fit, but I want to retain my originals to keep the car on the road. Not sure why this issue exists because I believe my bolts are standard length, and the hose kit is supposed to be made for the early cars. I have been corresponding with Goodridge for many months trying to get this issue resolved. In the meantime, I'm using rubber hoses that work just fine. Information about other similar experiences or solutions would be much appreciated. Cheers, Mike

croz

Country flag
I found the same problem as mgedit (Mike). I ended up replacing the old crusty hoses with the new rubber hoses. The Goodridge hoses are destined for the landfill. I bought them from Moss 3 years ago while still collecting parts for the 3's rebuild, and am very disappointed with the fit. It may be too late to return them. has anyone tried the Cobalt set?
Best of luck Mike.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That is interesting. I thought that my issues were related to having an early car with Lockheed drum setup. Your later car would have front discs. Goodridge continues to sell these hoses so others must be having this issue to, or have found a workable solution. Cheers, Mike