• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First time I've ever seen this [bad brake hose]

G

Long story short, I knew my rear line was going bad and becomming clogged w/ itself. I pulled it down and changed it out, no big deal. While I'm there, I figured I'll fix the axle seal leak that's been bothering me and wetting my shoes seeing I'll now have properly working brakes.

I got the drum off and noticed some brake fluid in there as well. This angered me as it was a "new" wheel cylinder (VB) that was about 4 years old and had about 5K on it. I had another one here for the other side and put that one on.

I decided to take apart the bad one to see what the deal was and I found it almost FULL of brake hose pieces.

I've seen several hoses go bad from swelling up or "collapse", but I've never seen one come apart and wind up somewhere else, at least to this extent.

So, now some of you might be worried if you have a bad hose that otherwise looks good. For those that are unfamiliar, here's how to test your hoses for flow restrictions. It's fast and easy:

Simply open the bleeder up, fluid should drip out. It might be fast, it might be slow, but it should drip out. If it doesn't, you have a restriction. Usually it's the rubber line.

Next, pull the bleeder screw out. Check to see if it's clogged. If it's not, break the line LOOSE (not off) at the top where it comes from the car. It should drip. If it does, the rubber line is bad. If not, your problem is elsewhere.

So now I'm waiting for my new seals and axle bearing to arrive that I also discovered was bad "while I was at it."

Yadda, yadda, yadda; doodle, doodle, dee; wubba, wubba, wubba.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
kellysguy said:
So now I'm waiting for my new seals and axle bearing to arrive that I also discovered was bad "while I was at it."

Not gonna do th' other side too? :shocked:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Means that thing has been sitting in the dry weather a long time....you better do all 4 corners!

OP
G

Yeah, I'm doin' both.

tony barnhill said:
Means that thing has been sitting in the dry weather a long time....you better do all 4 corners!

California car that sat in a field for 5 years, then at a shop for some more. I did the front a few months ago. I have everything here. I did a $1000 order from VB to get free shipping right after the storm. Sorta therapy for me then. That way, I have whatever I need when it breaks. Local suppiers take too long and I don't like waitin' for parts. Glad I did it then. Things are tight now, but I got my stash!!! I mostly have the top and weather strip stuff left, but I'm not putting the top on the car. I give small children rides in the top well area and I don't wanna give that up. I'd hardly ever use the top anyway.

OP
G

Gotta huge deal on the wheel bearing. $7.25 at a local industrial supplier v.s $20 local. VB has the whole kit on sale for $14.95 right now.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Replace all 3 brake hoses every 10 years. They are dated with the manufacture date. If there is no date on it, it's older than the mid seventies and should have been replaced 30 years ago.
Not only do they clog but they burst too but only when you are trying to stop.

OP
G

spritenut said:
Not only do they clog but they burst too but only when you are trying to stop.

:lol:

I've seen that before, but not fill up a wheel cylinder or caliper w/ rubber.

"Only when you try to stop"....hehehehe

I have in on good authority that flat tires are only flat on the bottom!!! :jester:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
and invariably have the lowest air pressure of the four. And, 80% of flat tires are the passenger rear tire. - that part is true.

OP
G

So I get it all back together and......the starter dies.
Good thing I got a brand new one in the storage room.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This sounds like a comedy of errors! Jack it up and replace everything attached between th' wheels! :jester:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My checklist, though designed for an MGB, works pretty good on a Midget....you might want to follow it...https://www.theautoist.com/CHECKLIST.HTM...you can automatically eliminate some things on the list based on the work you've already done...but, what you haven't already done needs to be done to make it a reliable driver, IMO.

OP
G

It's reliable. Got close to 10K on it since purchased w/ 5K w/o having to touch it. I knew it was just a matter of time w/ the starter as I spin it awhile to build pressure before I let 'er light off. I didn't think it would be this soon but this would explain recent trouble spinning in the cold. She should spin up just fine now. Didn't have a chance today to change it, went shopping for a coat. Still haven't had luck w/ a pea coat yet. Still wearing the smaller one.

I've already changed allot of stuff. Brakes were fine at first. They didn't feel right after the last lay-up. It's just one of those things.

fordtrucks4ever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
This sounds like a comedy of errors! Jack it up and replace everything attached between th' wheels! :jester:

Definately a requirement on older Fiats.

OP
G

Gott 'er back together. Starts and stops much better. Starter wasn't that old looking. No oil in starter. One a'em things I guess. Car is more fun w/o the brakes dragging. Milage is down, I think from driving it harder. ALLOT more fun !!!