• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Did this ever happen to you?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Following my return from Mid-Ohio I drained the Courier's transmission oil and found portions of two gear teeth in the pan so decided it would be a good time to put in the freshly rebuilt (MGA close-ratio) back-up box before I thoroughly trashed the old unit.

Monday morning I pulled the engine, removed the transmission and prior to reinstalling anything I bolted the engine and transmission together on the garage floor and rolled it over to make sure I removed enough metal inside the bell housing to allow the larger MGB clutch to clear. All good!

I separated the gearbox from the engine, reinstalled them and pushed the start button. CLICK--nothing! <span style="font-style: italic">(Hope-against-hope thought: "Why would my battery have lost charge like that?")</span> I hooked up a charger and switched it to the "75 amp start mode". Pushed the starter button--the engine rolled over and fired off and now there is a loud and unpleasant metallic "clack-clack-clack-clack" sound. Feeling around the bell housing while the engine was running I could tell that the clutch is rubbing in the place where I had ground away what I thought was enough material to provide clearance. <span style="font-style: italic">(Thought #2--apparently static and dynamic situations are different.)</span> I called it a day.

Tuesday morning bright and early I pulled the engine and saw the shiny spot inside the bell housing indicating the point of contact and using the old transmission as a guide I ground away a bit more material. I reinstalled the engine, pushed the start button and the engine fired off with no more clanking noise. GREAT!

I thought it would be good to run through the gears and when I shifted into first and dropped the clutch it sounded like someone had left a wrench inside the gear box and it was making a very loud and expensive sounding clatter. <span style="font-style: italic">(Thought #3--[censored] [censored] [censored]! What is that???)</span>

Jon, the fellow who rebuilt the box, comes over and he suggests trying reverse, then 2nd 3rd and 4th--all perfectly fine--but when I go back to 1st the same noise is present. There is no clearance between the inside of the transmission tunnel and the transmission to pull the side plate and peer inside so Tuesday ends with the clear and certain knowledge that next day I will again be pulling things apart.

Wednesday dawns bright to find Jon and me once again pulling the engine, then the transmission. After draining the transmission oil and examining it for metal (none) we pulled the box apart and there. sitting loose on bottom of the case, is a thrust washer. Apparently it must have slipped out of the stack of gears, washers and the like when Jon passed them onto the mainshaft, so as I watch he disassembles and reassembles the components, this time including the washer! Close up the box, put the oil back in and hang it into the car--it is now end of day and we are both tired and frustrated.

Bright and early Thursday we mount the transmission and install the engine one more time, fasten all together and fire off the engine. FINE. Take it through the gears (still on jackstands). FINE. Drop the car down, hop in, fire off and run it down the street: R-1-2-3-4-3-2-1-R. GREAT, the transmission shifts butter-smooth.

What I planned to be a three-hour job took 3-1/2 days to complete, but luckily no damage done. Did anything like this ever happen to you?

Seeya at BeaveRun/Schenley Park!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I have personally pulled the crank and all other critical bits out of an engine......only to find that the "cause" of low oil pressure was a bum gauge!

Live and learn! (<span style="font-style: italic">I hate taking transmissions apart</span>)

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Did this <span style="font-style: italic">ever </span>happen to me?

This is the way it <span style="font-style: italic">always </span>happens to me!

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
I've been doing an engine R&R every non-racing weekend, it seems. And facing another one this weekend - removing my old trusty motor, replacing it with the new one which I removed to check why it was dumping oil - turns out I bottomed it hard just driving around the paddock at Nelson Ledges two weeks ago and trashed the rear neoprene seal. Pan appears not to be distorted, so new gaskets & seals and back in, then on to the dyno.

Never a dull moment

#0 Hprod MARRS

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] turns out I bottomed it hard just driving around the paddock at Nelson Ledges [/QUOTE]

Yikes. So the Ledges "paddock" is still cow pasture?!?

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Michael Oritt said:
Did anything like this ever happen to you?

That's the way things always happen for me. Been down so long it looks like up to me.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Has "WhatsThatNoise" shown his mug at the event?!?

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It's pretty difficult to spot workers while running around the course but I did not see him at the dinner tonight to which all the course workers were invited. In fact I sent Dave an email a while back and did not hear from hear from him.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
He and his bro must be busy... real estate moguls now, y'know. :wink: