• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 steering box leaking oil

NIB

Just did a service on the car today. I checked the steering box for oil and couldnt see anything. Filled it up with around 0.1 gal of oil, quite alot. Shortly after i discovered why, oil leaks from the cables that goes to the steering wheel. I started to clean the area and was a bit surprised to see its not from the olive seal/ brassnut it comes, but from within the tube along the cables. Is the tube cracked or what could be the error?
I used EP90 oil.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is the tube cracked???????

Sore cold be. However, cracks that low down are not common. Maybe the rubber bumper that fits about midway down on the outside of this tube was missing and it was allowed to flex too far.---Keoke

OP
N

NIB

How is the tube attached? I thought it was supposed to be removed at the steering wheel, but i was able to pull it out from the steering box atleast 3 inches.
The car was originally with adjustable steering column and now has a moto lita steering wheel, does that matter?

IanIrving

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi Nib
If the nut and seal are ok and tight you shouldn't be able to pull it out from below. Is the seal actually there? maybe there's just the nut and no seal or maybe it isn't the right seal. You can't move mine unless you loosen the nut and olive, then it can be moved.

Ian

richberman

Jedi Warrior
NIB,
It pulls out from the bottom, once the nut/olive are removed. Just be careful to tie a string to the wires so replacing the wires is easier. On an adjustable column, there are two tubes which fit together via slot/notches about 12" from the steering wheel. The longer (stator) tube is a straight shot down and through the steering box. The wires go through it for the horn and turn signals and the nut/olive keep the oil in the steering box.

You may also have a leak from above the Pitman arm. There is a rubber O-ring which creates the seal around the steering column proper, which may need replacing. Randy Forbes has some good pictures of it here. https://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/reMKIII/IMG_2812
IMG_2812.jpg

I few pictures before this shows the moto-lita end.

If you scroll down to the section on trafficators here https://healey6.com/technical.htm, there are good articles on replacing the stator tube as well as what you'll find at the steering wheel end.
rich

OP
N

NIB

IanIrving said:
Hi Nib
If the nut and seal are ok and tight you shouldn't be able to pull it out from below. Is the seal actually there? maybe there's just the nut and no seal or maybe it isn't the right seal. You can't move mine unless you loosen the nut and olive, then it can be moved.

Ian

I didnt explain it very well, but its only when the nut is loose i can move the tube and the seal is on the tube, it cant be moved, it sits firmly.

I will order a new tube and seal and return here if I see any interesting when doing the job.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
:lol:

And how long will that last surrounded in oil?

Best weld it up and grind it back, but new tube has been purchased, and probably just as well.
Still you can experiment with the old one as a spare!

Bob