• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone Have a n OCPG Handy?

Pancho

Freshman Member
Guys, I'm getting a hassle from the powers-that-be about titling my new toy. It's a 71 MG BGT in probably #5 condition. No O/D, nothing fancy. Can someone please give me a value so I have a place to argue from? I bought it at auction for less than the minimum appraisal amount that the state allows for giving a title. My point is that its not what I paid but what its worth that matters. Need some ammo to confront the police chief with tomorrow. Thanks in advance, Pancho

BradHollister

Since when does a state have the authority to tell you how much to pay for your car? Not saying you're lying, but the fact that they are telling you "You didn't pay enough" is irritating to me.

Brad Hollister

[ QUOTE ]
Since when does a state have the authority to tell you how much to pay for your car? Not saying you're lying, but the fact that they are telling you "You didn't pay enough" is irritating to me.

Brad Hollister

[/ QUOTE ]

Happens all the time here in Vt. If what you paid is to far out of line with book value, the state will charge you tax on what they figure it is worth. only way around it is to get an appraisal from a dealer, then register it at the appraised value. Then let it lapse while you make it mint, then all you have to pay is the reregistration. and the other way is to apply a larger price than what you paid on the bill of sale, and try to keep it at least close to the book value. either way..your gonna pay.

the whole deal isnt right, i bought my midget for 50$, put about 3000$ into it, got reciepts and all, the state doesnt care. they booked it at 3500$ and i got to pay the tax on that, didnt make me very happy..

mark

R

Randi

[ QUOTE ]

Brad Hollister

[/ QUOTE ] They tried to do this is Louisiana and had to repeal it. It's the very reason I got my notary. The state decided people were cheating them out of tax money so they used Nada and since it only valued 7 years they took the 7 year amount and discounted $225.00 less a year. Since we have a Mechanics shop & Paint &Body shop I would create a estimate for a paint job which allow the buyer to pay that much less for the car/or and engine etc. I was doing a transfer and I was behind a sweet little old lady who paid $400.00 for a 1990 LTD. This was 97. They told her her car was worth $4,000. and she owed $750. in taxes!!!!She was stunned and started to cry-it was horrible. I left the line and told her to come outside with me. She kind of tottered out. I sat her down in her car created some documents notarized it all /signed my husbands name-went back inside ran her paperwork through along with her proof of insurance and came out with her plate & registration for $65.00. The next thing I new I had a line around the building. I was gone 3 hours from the shop. The girls were actually sending people out for me to help them(for free I might add) They felt as bad about the situation as I did. My husband thought I'd been kidnapped. LOL the state had to rethink their new tax strategy!!! The populace were going to recall their legislateurs. Randi

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

the whole deal isnt right, i bought my midget for 50$, put about 3000$ into it, got reciepts and all, the state doesnt care. they booked it at 3500$ and i got to pay the tax on that, didnt make me very happy..

mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes! I guess I'd better hope the State of Ohio remains satisfied with the $400 I bought my Midget for. Sounds like that would fall under the heading of taxation without representation, no? Seems like sales tax should apply to what the purchase price is and not what the "perceived value" is.

BradHollister

That's what sales tax is alright...Can't by a burger from Wendy's on sale and have the state say "Well, you bought it for 50 cents, but its worth a dollar, so instead of 3 cents tax, you have to pay 6 cents tax."

And Mark - You already paid tax on the $3000.00 put into the car, if your state has a sales tax, when you bought the parts (unless it was labor which isn't taxed in some states, or internet commerce <evil grin>). But that's none of their darn business.

LOL Randi - So THAT"S how I get in good with the girls behind the counter of the SOS (although here its usually women that a bit old for me ... before you shoot me, I'm 23)

/rant off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brad Hollister

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Steve, NADA does not provide prices for parts type cars.But that was a good suggestion.---Keoke

OP
P

Pancho

Freshman Member
All good points, people. The deal in Colorado is that if you buy a car from an impound or towing company you have to make sure that the seller lists the appraised value as $201 minimum or you will not be allowed to title the vehicle, ever. The police chief that filled out my paperwork put the $125 I paid for the car in the place for appraised value also. When the county clerk looked at it she said I was screwed. Fortunately, the chief hadn't sent off the paperwork yet and he was willing to change 125 to 425 once I explained the problem. I'm kind of excited to get the little car roadworthy and have some fun with it. My wife actually LIKES this car!!!! That's a first! On another note sales tax on used vehicles irks me to no end. Cars are probably the only consumer good that the state can rip you off indefinitely on. Depreciation be damned! They'll charge you whatever they can as long as they can. Because of this fact when I buy a car from a private party who has a clear title in hand I get them to fill out the bill of sale as $50 or $100. On other cars that have been given to me we fill out the price as $1.00. That really hacks them off but its easier that the rigamarole of a "gift" car. The amount of taxes they collect on gasoline alone ought to keep the state happy, without registration fees and sales tax! OK, rant over.

[ QUOTE ]

And Mark - You already paid tax on the $3000.00 put into the car, if your state has a sales tax, when you bought the parts (unless it was labor which isn't taxed in some states, or internet commerce <evil grin>). But that's none of their darn business.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you think i am not happy

mark

R

Randi

LOL Randi - So THAT"S how I get in good with the girls behind the counter of the SOS (although here its usually women that a bit old for me ... before you shoot me, I'm 23.....Easy-Candy at Valentines & Easter, Coffee Mugs and Christmas-more important ALWAYS SAY THANK YOU AND MEAN IT-remember everybody else Bitches them out!!Randi

BradHollister

[ QUOTE ]
LOL Randi - So THAT"S how I get in good with the girls behind the counter of the SOS (although here its usually women that a bit old for me ... before you shoot me, I'm 23.....Easy-Candy at Valentines & Easter, Coffee Mugs and Christmas-more important ALWAYS SAY THANK YOU AND MEAN IT-remember everybody else Bitches them out!!Randi

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I'm customer relations manager for an auto company - I know what those people go through - That's why I can't bring mywself to even swear at the cable company. LOL

Brad

R

Randi

LOL...I'm customer relations manager for an auto company - I know what those people go through - That's why I can't bring mywself to even swear at the cable company. LOL

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]That is very cool Brad! Most people don't take the time to be pleasant and helpful when there is nothing in it for them. Life is what you make it....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gifRandi