• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Metal Dash - does anyone make one?

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
TR6s only ever came with wood dashes. You can buy aftermarket ones or some people re-veneer them. If you are set on a steel dash, early TR4s came with white steel dashboards. I don’t think it would be too difficult to adapt one to a TR6.

Matt

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I say keep it wood BUT I realize everyone is different. Another option is metal veneer.... if you do a search on the net you will find some beautiful metal veneer.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Metal dash on race cars, airplanes, and the like. See Summit Racing and use yours as a templet. Most would side with wood as OEM they are not that hard to keep up. What I did not like was the wood steering wheel on the Jag and mgs I have driven. If you find some thing it should be painted or covered. Madflyer

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
So long ago...I saw an engine turned TR6 dash...Like those glossy finished wood dashes I've seen I wonder about the sun reflection.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Think I'd like a plain metal dash and would paint it either with wrinkle or hammertone paint. Many period Euro cars have metal dashes painted body color - think 300SL, Porsche 356, Alfa Giulietta. Ferraris in the '50s had red wrinkle paint dashes.

IMO engine turning is '30s bling, more suitable for a Duesenberg, Auburn or Bugatti.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I redid my dash the last time I used a satin finish less shine as it is Mahogany. I had remover all finish and oiled it like a boat rail for years. In time it faded from sun light so went to satin finish. Having a car so many years ( 27 ) It all comes around again and again. Madflyer

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
If you are going to paint the dash do you want a real metal dash or would a wood dash painted to look like you want be ok. You could use your original dash to copy it using MDF ( medium density fiberboard) This board is very flat and is easy to paint and seal. Another possibility is to have it wrapped like cars are wrapped now days instead of being painted. I am sure you could find a wrinkle finish or hammered finish that would nice. Frank

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If you are going to paint the dash do you want a real metal dash or would a wood dash painted to look like you want be ok. You could use your original dash to copy it using MDF ( medium density fiberboard) This board is very flat and is easy to paint and seal. Another possibility is to have it wrapped like cars are wrapped now days instead of being painted. I am sure you could find a wrinkle finish or hammered finish that would nice. Frank

My current dash is delaminating around the glove box. Wouldn't go $500 for a new one just to paint it.

Djoslyn

Country flag
Here is a picture of the dash in my 4A. It is just a simple aluminum dash, No glove box or any other provisions other than the needed gauges, indicators, ignition, and choke.
IMG_0420.jpg

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I installed a turned dash in the sports/racer I am restoring.

Cooper Alfa Dash (1024x768).jpg