• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Why Would Anyone Butcher a Healey with a V8?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Saw a few 327's in the big Healey's back in the 70's The one I got to drive handled well, but only had a 3 speed transmission, so with the rear end was more a cruiser than a road car. Weight was a little closer to 50/50. He was using it as a AutoX car. Can't remember the class.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The bigger question for me is why was a Corvette powered Healey allowed in a race at Goodwood. I don’t recall seeing that before in UK classic racing, which is based on controlled specs. That Maserati has got to be the most beautiful car ever.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Weren't most nasty boys created from junkyard cars back in the day?

Some were, some weren't. Most of the early conversions were done when original engines failed. Race cars seemed to be popular in the beginning. I always like to cite that 8 of the 50 100S cars had a V8 in them at some point, either because of broken motors or out of a desire to improve the performance of what had become a non-competitive race car. Then hot rodders seized on the idea of a high-power engine in a light body. I'd guess that most of the cars were done on used cars with tired motors rather than coming out of a junkyard.

The bigger question for me is why was a Corvette powered Healey allowed in a race at Goodwood. I don’t recall seeing that before in UK classic racing, which is based on controlled specs. That Maserati has got to be the most beautiful car ever.

I saw a post by David Matthews suggesting that Goodwood entry might be influenced by one's connections. I know for a few years that original Cobra owners haven't been happy by some replicas being allowed to race.

I saw this very cool Healey V8 special at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago that had been raced since the '50s:

68601621_653492735059900_2313723900539699200_n.jpg

69018510_653492685059905_8252298253559660544_n.jpg

68792571_653492705059903_8918860337332092928_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1953_austin-healey_healey_chevy_vintage_racing_special_1565103559ec75550IMG_4259-432x620.jpg
    1953_austin-healey_healey_chevy_vintage_racing_special_1565103559ec75550IMG_4259-432x620.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 123
OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"Being able to outpace a Maserati 300S with your Corvette-engined 100 could have something to do with it."

The relative value of his car versus that of the Chevy-Healey might also have led the Maserati driver to feel more comfortable behind it versus in front of or alongside it....

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"Being able to outpace a Maserati 300S with your Corvette-engined 100 could have something to do with it."

The relative value of his car versus that of the Chevy-Healey might also have led the Maserati driver to feel more comfortable behind it versus in front of or alongside it....

Irreplaceable.

According to Wikipedia, it has 245bhp, which would put it down on power compared to the Healey-Vette.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
" The relative value of his car versus that of the Chevy-Healey might also have led the Maserati driver to feel more comfortable behind it versus in front of or alongside it....

An understandable sediment but at one point in the video it can be seen that the Massi was pulling up on the Healey rather quickly on a straight, the Healey driver did an obvious double take in noticing the situation and just proceeded to pull straight away from the Massi.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Some were, some weren't. Most of the early conversions were done when original engines failed. Race cars seemed to be popular in the beginning. I always like to cite that 8 of the 50 100S cars had a V8 in them at some point, either because of broken motors or out of a desire to improve the performance of what had become a non-competitive race car. Then hot rodders seized on the idea of a high-power engine in a light body. I'd guess that most of the cars were done on used cars with tired motors rather than coming out of a junkyard.

I saw a post by David Matthews suggesting that Goodwood entry might be influenced by one's connections. I know for a few years that original Cobra owners haven't been happy by some replicas being allowed to race.

I saw this very cool Healey V8 special at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago that had been raced since the '50s:

View attachment 60541

View attachment 60542

View attachment 60543

I thought the recent bid was high enough, but he's put a lot into getting back into shape.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1953-austin-healey-healey-chevy-vintage-racing-special/

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My perception is that it made sense to pop V8s into crapped out Healeys in the 50s/60s/70s; not so much since then.
Fun watching the video, and seeing those (relatively) skinny tyres drifting out somewhat unexpectedly on a few of the corners. Either way, I'm glad to see the two of them out there. Doug

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
An understandable sediment but at one point in the video it can be seen that the Massi was pulling up on the Healey rather quickly on a straight, the Healey driver did an obvious double take in noticing the situation and just proceeded to pull straight away from the Massi.

Vette--

The Healey driver's apparent situational unawareness seems not have been lost on the driver of the Maserati who following that tends to keep a safe distance.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
So, it appears, was the Maserati, which had the faster "Best Lap" by 2.2 seconds:

DNF 8 Michael LYONS Austin Healey-Corvette BN1 - 1954 11 3 Laps 17:36.890 1 Lap 89.17 1:34.080 7
DNF 21 Lukas HALUSA Maserati 300S - 1955 10 4 Laps 15:31.911 1 Lap 91.94 1:31.902 4

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It would have been interesting if there had been lap times for the Mercedes 300SLR which had nearly 100 more bhp than the Maserati.

I wonder if a Scarab ever ran at Goodwood. Another interesting lap time. Also the Maserati 450S.

jlburdge

Freshman Member
Being able to outpace a Maserati 300S with your Corvette-engined 100 could have something to do with it.

Glad you asked Rick. I saw an Austin outside of a boat dock builder's shop. Stopped and asked about it. It had been on fire and stripped out, floor pans/trans tunnel rusted out, fender support frame cut out, etc. Had been sitting outside for 4+ years (that I know of) because everytime I went by and had the time I tried to get it from him. No deal, he was going to "fix it up" someday. FINALLY, we made a deal---for a used chainsaw and a 30-30 rifle. It was n my shop, on blocks for 5.5 years as I word on it in my spare time (the shop WAS my work). I decided to put a 289 Hollman/Moody (350H.P.) engine in it as a full restoration was not possible. Some "Purists" may scoff at what I have done, BUT, at least it is on the road once again instead of a junk yard. AND it is one ****-of-Auh-Ride.

jlburdge

Freshman Member
Here is my "Butchered" Healey. I do not apologize for saving it from the scrap yard .

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 237

ahealey1004

Looks great jlburdge! I'm a fan of modified Healeys, and stock Healeys too! Thanks for sharing.