• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another what is it worth

LynnNace

Freshman Member
I have the 1964 Austin Healey 3000 in the classified section of this site.

Considering the VIN issue shown what is it worth?

Thanks

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
A note of caution, unless someone has written check for it, all listings and auction prices should be considered theoretical and not actual sale price. Auctions are not to be trusted, although on car side all I know is what one hears and reads about in mags, but even at the level of art and the Sothebys and Christies of the world, recent books have disclosed unimaginable skullduggery. It is worth what someone has actually paid for it and until that happens, no value has been established.
Jay, '65 3000

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Between the VIN number issue and the non-original paint scheme I am sure you have to subtract a few points from the value of a similar car in the like condition, but I think the color looks really sharp! nice car.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think we need some better photos. All I can see here is shiny paint and wheels. The engine bay is white. I think its never a good sign when the engine bay is a different colour to the car. It gives the impression of a quick respray to sell the vehicle.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Lynn, You have a real issue to selling it for ANY price for sure, unless you straighten this one out ! You have just found out why you don't EVER buy an old car unless the VIN represents the car accurately and it matches the title, it is the responsibility of the SELLER to fix this before you buy it and you're finding out what a PITA it is now !! Where exactly are you finding the accurate VIN for this car? Not the shock tower I hope , as that may not match the numerical part of the actual VIN the factory affixed . At this point it could be impossible to ID it, hence why the State of Pennsylvania won't just let you screw any old number on the car you wish. I have an idea but need more info. first. Been there.
Kevin

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Lynn, You have a real issue to selling it for ANY price for sure, unless you straighten this one out ! You have just found out why you don't EVER buy an old car unless the VIN represents the car accurately and it matches the title, it is the responsibility of the SELLER to fix this before you buy it and you're finding out what a PITA it is now !! Where exactly are you finding the accurate VIN for this car? Not the shock tower I hope , as that may not match the numerical part of the actual VIN the factory affixed . At this point it could be impossible to ID it, hence why the State of Pennsylvania won't just let you screw any old number on the car you wish. I have an idea but need more info. first. Been there.
Kevin
Kevin,

I'm curious about your comment that the shock tower number does not always match the plate on the bulkhead. I would have thought that it does as a rule, and if not, it would have been a factory mistake. They match on my car.

Lynn, in your posting you mention that the shock tower number matches the body number. Can you describe what number plates you have? On a BJ8, there is the VIN plate, a separate batch/body number plate, and the number stamped in the shock tower. Also, have you obtained a Heritage Certificate for the BJ8 number? That would have the body number that corresponds to the VIN.

If the various plates and stampings match, then that is what you have. There are a variety of reasons why the Title may have a completely different number, but as for identifying the physical car, those plates and stampings are what you have to go by.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Of course I could be wrong but I don't think the full VIN is stamped on the chassis frame on the BJ8. The full VIN includes the prefix "HBJ8L" , not just the chassis number. IF the full VIN is on Lynn's car ( on the proper sheet metal screw attached tag on the firewall) then the car is titled for a different car and not just a matter of one or two digits mismatching. The state won't just correct the title to match. He'd be best to ID the Healey the proper way and tell the state he lost the title for that car.

OP
L

LynnNace

Freshman Member
Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.
When I bought the car the VIN plate on the firewall matched the title VIN. The VIN on the plate attached to the car still matches the title. The problem is that the number starts with BT7. I did get what I believe to be the correct VIN from the shock tower. I have confirmation that this VIN matches the body numbers on the car. So I figured there would be no problem getting the title corrected until I talked to the Pa. State Police. A
trooper came to my house and verified the number on the shock tower was what I had written on the form they use to make a VIN change. The reason I did not have the title changed is that Pa. will not let me attach the correct VIN on a factory correct plate . They wanted me to use a plate they make with some additional numbers added of their own making. I was told the plate they give you is big,blue and ugly. I decided to let the new owner determine how they wanted to handle the issue. I have been told other states will do the right thing and allow the correct to be made and use a correct VIN plate. Do you know if Mi. is one of those states?
Lynn

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Of course I could be wrong but I don't think the full VIN is stamped on the chassis frame on the BJ8. The full VIN includes the prefix "HBJ8L" , not just the chassis number. IF the full VIN is on Lynn's car ( on the proper sheet metal screw attached tag on the firewall) then the car is titled for a different car and not just a matter of one or two digits mismatching. The state won't just correct the title to match. He'd be best to ID the Healey the proper way and tell the state he lost the title for that car.
The State of Texas will correct 1 or 2 digits but not if all 5. For all 5 you will need more good hard information such as the shock tower and maybe something else such as the engine ID plate and a Heritage Certificate plus a Letter from the BJ8 Registry. When you have as much of the above information as you can get then you will need to have the car safety inspected and then there's a couple of times a month they have you take all your paperwork and the car to a special place where they will inspect the car and if it all passes their sniff test then you can get the title changed.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Kevin,

The shock tower has the entire number, including the HBJ8L. I'd say that if he has the shock tower number and the batch/body plate, and those two things match per the Heritage certificate, then he knows what physical car he has. Why someone substituted a BT7 plate is anyone's guess... Whomever did so did not know that BJ8s have their number elsewhere.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I'm a licensed dealer in Michigan and this doesn't sound legit to me. Somebody changed the factory VIN plate and supplied you a title for a different car? It isn't a wonder the state won't unwind this one easily, if at all. If I were in your shoes I would call the person you purchased the car from and ask him to help bear the brunt of this burden . He's the one that's committed a crime , if any , and you want him on the hook too even if he was victimized. If this is legit someone will sign an affidavit attesting to certain facts about how the VIN was taken off and another put in its place by mistake. Or get in touch with somebody that specializes in Lien sales in your state. Any help?