• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

another 1500 question

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Today was shakedown day. I took a lot of things off the new midget and did a lot of scrubbing and cleaning in the cockpit and trunk area. I basically got things ready so I can start sanding, welding, painting in those areas. When I removed the shifter boot, I found a big glob of foam rubber. It was covering an opening right into the shifter linkage of the 1500 transmission. I don't know if this was a plastic plug or a large welsh plug that is missing but I know this is not right. Does anyone know what goes there? With that done. I need to remove the front fenders next and see how bad that is. There was not any rust through on the inside. Oh, and after sitting a week, it fired right up. Engine seems good except for a smooth idle. I need to read up on zenith carbs and see how I can get rid of all the smog junk so it can run.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Likely the bushing. In terms of the idle, very few get the ZS running right and sometimes taking off the smog stuff makes it harder as it was designed to have it all attached. They also had the water choke. On mine the metal sensor was broken so I went to a manual choke, this after the rebuild but before the SU. (Could have bought the SU with what I invested in the ZS)

dklawson

Yoda
Kim, give serious consideration to the SU HS4 swap that was mentioned in one of your previous threads. You won't be sorry.

I can't picture where the foam piece you found is located. Can you post a picture of it?

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
What is missing is the cap on the back end of the shift module there. Its not on the moss listing. There is something on the back because I can look right in and see the shifter moving the levers and dirt can get right into the gearbox here. I will try and take a picture later. The plan today is to take the front end off it today and see what bad stuff is under there.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Broken? That PDO repair fixed it?

dklawson said:
Kim, give serious consideration to the SU HS4 swap that was mentioned in one of your previous threads. You won't be sorry.

I can't picture where the foam piece you found is located. Can you post a picture of it?

+10 on the su swap....

luv it.

m

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I am exhausted. Front end is off and many other pieces. I cut out the old battery box in prep for a new one and beat my hands up chiseling off the driver side sill so I can weld a new one on(already have that). The whole engine bay area is now ready to be hit with a coat of naval jelly and then a coat of por-15 and a top coat. I want a light color because it makes it easier to see in there and see if there is a leak. I scraped out all of the old abbington sticky pad that they put in there and found mostly clean metal in the floor pans but I did find one rusted hole area that I will have to weld in a patch for. I have it down so I can see every last wort. I don't know if I will start putting it back tomorrow or not. I am just tired.
I think I will go pick out a color of rustoleum to paint the under hood area with while the por15 is still tacky. I will take pictures tomorrow as well.
Oh and just to let everyone know, I got a lead on a weber dgv carb and cannon intake for this one for $125. I think I might go for that.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Cool! Lotsa progress. Take pics as you go, I'd love to see this "in process."
The Weber will get it drivable fast, but be sure to save the original intake for when you upgrade to an HIF4. :wink:

bwm1974

regularman said:
What is missing is the cap on the back end of the shift module there. Its not on the moss listing. There is something on the back because I can look right in and see the shifter moving the levers and dirt can get right into the gearbox here. I will try and take a picture later. The plan today is to take the front end off it today and see what bad stuff is under there.

The end cap was also missing on my 1500's transmission. I looked through my emails and found that I ordered it from Little British Car Company in February of this year. Part number is: 848-595 and it cost $1.96. It is shown in Moss online as #58 in the picture linked here: Moss Gearbox Parts
but some reason, it looks like a seal in their picture, even though it really is a metal plug.

Anyway, I recall being able to fit it without removing the transmission from the car. It fits like a freeze plug, so I just tapped it into place.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
bwm1974 said:
regularman said:

The end cap was also missing on my 1500's transmission. I looked through my emails and found that I ordered it from Little British Car Company in February of this year. Part number is: 848-595 and it cost $1.96. It is shown in Moss online as #58 in the picture linked here: Moss Gearbox Parts
but some reason, it looks like a seal in their picture, even though it really is a metal plug.

Anyway, I recall being able to fit it without removing the transmission from the car. It fits like a freeze plug, so I just tapped it into place.
ah, ha I looked at at than and thought it was the rear transmission seal for the output shaft, Thnaks!

dklawson

Yoda
The cap is also available from VB. I posted the part number in your other thread.