• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Air cleaners for HS2 carbs?

RickB

Yoda
I put a set of HS2 carbs on my 948 in the Sprite and currently don't have any air filters for them.

I have toyed with the idea of cleaning and painting the original air filter housings and getting filters for them.

Any suggestions on whether that's best or to get something else?

I guess the biggest drawback with the old ones is they make it pretty hard to do anything with the carbs unless you first remove them.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's pretty hard to tune the carbs until you take ANY air cleaner off. That's just the way it is. But you need to run air filters anyway. See if Ed still has his K&N's, and if they'll fit under your bonnet. There is a difference you CAN FEEL using K&N's with stacks instead of stock cans with paper filters.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I can also get K&N's that fit tho original cans, I have considered this route as well.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I'm not convinced K&Ns are worth it. True you can reuse them but they don't filter quite as well and if you don't NEED more flow (engine is getting what it wants) why bother?

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here is my experience. I had stock cans and filters on the red thing. There is a hill nearby that is on one of my "drive" routes. One day I drove up and on the way had to downshift from 4th gear to 3rd. My K&N's arrived the next day, and I put them on with 1 1/2" tall stacks inside. (3" deep or better filters. I drove up the same road, same weather conditions and could accelerate up the hill in 4th gear at that same point. A bolt on horsepower gain for about $200 with no other modifications is cheap in my book.

YMMV

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
I just installed a set of HS2's on my BE a couple of months ago and have been looking for a set of filters I found a pair of these and just ordered them a few days ago they come with a stub stack in them and washable two layer foam. I'll let you know how they work out when I get them and get them installed.

Attachments

• 18448.jpg
    18448.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 460

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I like those, Chris. Where did you get them?

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
Pythias said:
It's pretty hard to tune the carbs until you take ANY air cleaner off. That's just the way it is. But you need to run air filters anyway. See if Ed still has his K&N's, and if they'll fit under your bonnet. There is a difference you CAN FEEL using K&N's with stacks instead of stock cans with paper filters.

Hey, Rick... I've still got them. They don't fit well for my car but should work nicely for you. They are brand new from APT. Send me a PM and well chat. I'm in Moscow, RU right now so I won't be able to do anything until after the 25th.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Pythias said:
Here is my experience. I had stock cans and filters on the red thing. There is a hill nearby that is on one of my "drive" routes. One day I drove up and on the way had to downshift from 4th gear to 3rd. My K&N's arrived the next day, and I put them on with 1 1/2" tall stacks inside. (3" deep or better filters. I drove up the same road, same weather conditions and could accelerate up the hill in 4th gear at that same point. A bolt on horsepower gain for about $200 with no other modifications is cheap in my book.

YMMV

This just always comes to mind.
too much flow?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I like em, he use to be an advertiser here.

Course mine say Miss Agatha, hehe.

Attachments

• 18449.jpg
    18449.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 428

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I was thinking of getting a pair of those SU Filters with the integral stub stacks. My impression from reading various things is that the foam filters are superior in filtration to the K&Ns with only a tiny bit less flow. Also, I wonder if the "I can feel it" HP difference mentioned above is due to the stacks or to the filter. I'd guess that the stacks make a much bigger difference than the filter.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
davester said:
I'd guess that the stacks make a much bigger difference than the filter.

And that may well be true, but you can't run stacks in stock air cleaners.

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
Not sure about stub stacks on stock air cleaners but they fit nice on these.
Why could you not run a stub stack in a stock 1275 filter housing? They are not any shallower then these are they? The old HS1 fliter-spark arestors noway there"s no room for a after thought in there.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It has to do with where the bolts go. The bell of the stack is bigger than to allow the bolts that hold the air cleaners to bolt to the carbs

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here is a set with stubs in them.

Here is the link to his site, note that he is a supporting vendor as well. https://su-filters.com/

Attachments

• 18463.jpg
    18463.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 384

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
never noticed herself's name on the cover - nice touch

WE been wrking on a a aluminum billet velocity stack for the HS2 for awhile, it's been a back burner projects, but now it down to waitng for dleivery form the CNC source, all the homework is done, it fit under the hood fo Bugeyes, Square bodys and would be used woth the K&N Ru-4410 air filters. It a proven better flowing set up than anyhting else offered, and for someomen that like things simple the KN RU 4410 cone filter, no back or fornt plates to deal with, no studs running thru the air flow, the air filters is held on with a SS hose clamps that comes with the filters, so getting access to carb is as simple as loosening the clamp and removing the air filter ( a 2 second job). We been using this set up on the MGBs for awhile and the racing Spridgets w/ dual HS4s, and the racing MGB with HS6 and HS4s (we already make aluminum billet stack for the HS6s) now we have them for the HS2s as well, I should have my stock of them in a couple of weeks at the most, they will sell for $59.99 a pair, and the KN filter are around $30 each, and can sourced just about anywhere, I got mine at Summit racing.

The first picture is a set of HS2 with the aluminum radius stack, and the second picture is my MGB with the KN RU 4410 air filters.
This set up is not a fancy as some of the set up, but it flow better than the rest, and it very user-friendly when it comes to working on the carbs, that why we racers have used this set up for years.

Attachments

• 18483.jpg
    18483.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 404
  • 18484.jpg
    18484.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 419
OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks Hap, I remember a while back when you asked if there would be any interest in these and I'm pretty sure I said I would.

That's what I did with my last B too, and I agree it really helped and was a pretty elegant solution.

I think I can hold off until these are available for the HS2 - I hope you will be getting enough stock so everyone can get some!

A buddy and myself contracted to have 20 sets (40 stacks) made, and we'll get more when these run out.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hap, how about a real close look at those standoffs for the heater return pipe.

I'll take two, just bill me. Where they come from??