• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

air cleaners

Mac

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Just received a pair of new air cleaners for my BJ7 from one the usual suppliers and the quality appears to be less than the ones that came with the car. I'm thinking that I may be better off just trying to clan the original ones with kerocene or something similar. Any thoughts? Mac

Country flag
Hey, clean them. There aren't any moving parts what could go wrong. A friend used a spray used to clean BBQs and dried with air compressor and it looked real good. Just add oil. Different story if you have torn or mangled wire mesh. Save money and still original is a no brainer for me.

XK4

Jedi Hopeful
I always suspected one of the prime reasons the old British Motorcycles and LBCs couldn't go much more than 20 K Miles without replacing the piston rings is their wire mesh air filters aren't good for much beyond stopping wasps, bees and B B sized stones (and I'm not too sure about the bees).
If you can find something that uses a modern paper type filter without looking out of place or screwing up the carbs fuel/air ratio IMO you will be better off.
Jim
smile.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Jim,
I couldn't agree more. England is apparently so damp that there isn't any dust. In the US especially in a dusty climate, the stock filters will not protect an engine worth a hoot. I would not run any engine without a good paper, oiled fabric, or oiled foam filter. There is a pretty good article here on converting wire mesh filters to the K&N type.
https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb201.htm

Speaking of bees, did Noah keep his bees in archives?
D

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I agree with the proper filter recommendation. Whilstoriginality has its merits, I would rather go with a K&N setup for regular driving. I ran K&Ns in motorcycles. Just clean them and re-lube them and they are good to go again. Worth the investment.

Country flag
Would a foam cover over the existing stock air filter inhibit air flow or would the SU's compensate? I tried a set for a while and saw no difference. We have a pollin season here where you can write your name on the bonnet in one day's falling. Must reek havic somewhere in the engine. I take it off when the pollins pass but maybe I should leave them on. They are cloth backed and stay in place with hose type clamps. I don't know where they come from or it they can be cleaned. I lust bang them and shake off all the junk.

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
Great ... Now this thread hits! I just (today) pulled both my cleaners off, cleaned them, wire brushed about three coats of paint off them, re-painted them, re-oiled them and replaced them. I'll check the link above for future reference.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Tahoe,

I doubt if pollen is nearly as abrasive as dust & probably would cause little damage.

The foam covers should be oiled with a special oil to catch really small particles such as dust which is very abrasive. Unless the cover manufacturer says differently. Dirt bike racers often use filter covers but replace or clean them very frequently.

The foam can be washed in hot soapy water.

The only problem with a foam cover is that it has much less filter area than a pleated type filter & therefore must be cleaned more often than the other types to prevent restriction of air flow.
D

Country flag
I use them in congunction with the original oiled metal mesh. I figured it has to be better than just the metal mesh. My concern is the reduction in air flow since we have less air up here at 6500 to 7500 feet. I have to adjust the carbs 1/4 turn for altitude when I go to sealevel. Does any one make a paper filter that looks like or fits into the original (Cooper?) air filter?

DougR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Good info there... Now who knows how to take apart the air filters for a bugeye? I was hesitant to take out the screen that retains the wire mesh (mess) but I'd like to upgrade the original type filter. Anybody done this?

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have always had a feeling that the stock wire mesh filters were less than wonderful at filtering the dusty US air.....so I have kept my eyes open for a better set. However, I have not seen any K&N or whatever for the 2" BJ8 carbs. Does anyone have a source for filters for these carbs?

Thanks,
steve

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Thom,
The Jags use the same HD8 carb so that part will fit. As to whether they will clear everything else I really don't know. Maybe you can get K&N to give an answer. One of the other above filters lists separate blank back plates which could probably be fitted to clear everything. It's not exactly easy.

Since I have a cold air box with a hose leading to behind the grill I just used a diesel truck filter similar to the K&N conical type.
D

[ 08-23-2003: Message edited by: Dave Russell ]</p>

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Dave

I see the K&Ns are listed for Jags. Do they directly fit on a Big Healey i.e. clear the bonnet and controls?

Unfortunately K&N doesn't provide the details of the 56-9145 filters on their US site.

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the info, Dave. I think the RamFlo may be what I need. An interesting note though is that the listing lists one for the HD8, but when you go to the applicability list the 3000 BJ8 Mark III is blank. There is a listing for the Mark II. I have e-mailed the company asking for clarification. If the HD8 one will work on the space limitations of the Mark III, I plan to purchase them. Thanks again for your help!!! Regards, Steve

BLU_HLY

Country flag
For a good looking and performing air filter , I procured a chrome plated housing from SU Midel and put in a K&N filter element. For a BJ7 w/ 1¾ carbs , select housing # PFS175 and K&N element #E-2321. The filter element can be purchased from most K&N distributors in the USA for about $28 ea.. The housing, however, comes from Australia.
I use a smaller version on my 100/4 and it looks and works dandy.
Charlie