• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A '60 TR3 or '66 Midget........ Which would u pick??

NardisCNC

OK, OK, I know this is an extremely vague question, that can have a thousand+ variables, with answers coming from two different groups of people / schools of thought, but I'd like some input from people who perhaps have had some experience with both. Although I do realize in the end it simply comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Here's my predicament........I currently own a '66 Midget that I love it's been completely restored more or less with the exception of the stock 1098 which I was getting ready to switch for a 1275 as soon as I rebuild the engine. However in the meantime I found a '60 TR3 that I guy has started restoring frame-off and is supposedly 80% finished with. Engine already rebuilt, body & paint work finished (the stuff I wouldn't want to do), etc. And I think it could perhaps be had worth the money, as he is a retired fella who just got bored with this project, and is now devoting his time to other interest. He claims all that is left to do is to "button everything up" and put it back together.

About me: I only have room for ONE car right now, with a budget to match. I love old British Cars but am only 3yrs new to the Hobby, the Midget being the only LBC I have driven thus far. I'm not set on any particular make or model. I enjoy it as a hobby with the fringe benefit of being a small investment that will hold its value, more so than most other hobbies at least.

It appears that TR3's in god condition similar to my Midget are worth 2-3 times as much, which is appealing. Mainly I guess I'd like some insight on other traits between these two cars.... Power, Handling, Appeal, etc. (assuming both cars were in the SAME mechanical/physical condition) If you could have ONE, which would you pick?? Thanks in advance!!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I'll come down on the side of the TR3, but what you really need to decide is if you want to complete another restoration, or just enjoy the one you have.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I'm with Darrell - put some thought into working on a restoration vs driving a restored car. It is very rare to have a "button everything up" situation. Stuff usually slows things down, and it can get frustrating if you aren't ready for it. But I'd pick the TR3 especially if you want performance.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
NardisCNC said:
: I only have room for ONE car right now, with a budget to match. I love old British Cars but am only 3yrs new to the Hobby, the Midget being the only LBC I have driven thus far!

Like Randall, I'm partial, too, but you have a chance to own THEE ultimate British sports car, (E type and AH 3000 not withstanding).

If there's a Triumph Club in your neighborhood, maybe you can bum a ride/drive. How do you feel about finishing a car you know little about? At least you found BCF! Good luck! Post some pix.....

OP
NardisCNC

NardisCNC

Thanks a million so far to everyone for their input!! I was noticing the same thing Randall regarding the weight to power ratio. Intriguing! I agree Randy and Darrell too, that's one thing I'm waiting to find out... How much "buttoning up" actually needs to be done vs work. And come to think of it Kevin, I remember seeing a TR3 being worked on at a local garage! I'll see if I can track down the owner for a ride/drive!

I also posted this in the Spridgets section and the only response I got so far was that the handling was like driving a "Truck vs Go-Cart", I'm assuming the truck reference being made towards the TR3? Any thoughts?? (I also realize there may be some biased opinions in each category here on BCF)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
NardisCNC said:
I'm assuming the truck reference being made towards the TR3? Any thoughts??

A lot of TR3s do steer pretty stiff. Rebuilding the steering box by the book made my late TR3A steer a whole lot better. The TR3 isn't quite as good yet, but it's not bad at all. Part of the problem is the steering ratio; it's only about 2-1/4 turns lock to lock so naturally it's going to take more force than a car that is 3 or 4 turns. But the fast ratio also means you can run a pretty tight slalom/auto-X course without moving your hands on the wheel.

PS, overdrive is a definite plus as well. If the car you are looking at doesn't have one, I'd plan on finding one.

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
With a sway bar TR3 handling is as good as any of them and faster than most. Mine has a 3.5 to 1 axle so is doing 28 mph per 1000 rpm and a standard one does 24 or 3000 rpm at 72.

A midget is doing 4000 rpm at 60!

IMO the TR3 isa better car than you'd expect, it has real character.

Ash

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I've had two Midgets, a '72 and a '75 and three TR3's,some TR4's and TR6's as well as a few MGB's including a GT. Investment wise the TR3 is hands down the winner. Midgets were and still are a entry level LBC in my opinion, and are fun to own but will never have the class of a TR3. I currently have a 61 TR3, drivable, but in the process of sprucing up. I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks on it to turn it in to a nice driver quality car, but would be hesitant to spend much on a Midget unless I was into it real cheap. But, If I was an expert on investment I would still have the '67 Triumph TR4 that I bought in "72 for $125.00 and would have saved enough money to also have a Porche Carrera.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
EV2239 said:
Mine has a 3.5 to 1 axle so is doing 28 mph per 1000 rpm and a standard one does 24 or 3000 rpm at 72.

That's with overdrive. Without OD it's closer to 20 mph per 1000 rpm (assuming a nearly stock tire size).

D

DougF

You aren't going to get many people here swaying you toward an octagon. I too would go for the 3. There is something about the cut down doors, a big steering wheel and the exhaust tone. But, you have a car you enjoy and are looking at a car that could be a year or more from getting on the road.

As mentioned earlier, drive a 3 to see if you like it. They are a ball to drive. You will get countless thumbs ups, if you like that kind of thing.

Parts availability is probably better for the Midget, though not bad for the TR3. When completed, the TR3 will be worth a lot more.

I drove a late Midget once many years ago and don't consider myself qualified to judge those cars.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
We do a 1000 road trip each Fall. We have a couple of Midgets in the group. When they first particpated we got them out in the front of the line (12 cars or so) cause we tend to get carried away (go fast) and didn't want to leave then way behind.

Yowza -- we spent the whole day chasing Midgets. Okay, these guys may be extreme but they flogged those Midgets all day often in excess of 80 mph. Well-prepared cars to be sure but they drove em hard and seemed to be hacing a lot of fun doing it.

OTOH -- I would always choose a TR over an MG whether driving the highway or running for a loaf of bread.

TR3driver said:
I am hopelessly biased...

Yeah, me too.

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Parts availability, size, power, handling, and looks.... TR3 would be my call. Just drove a midget the other day and drove a TR3 last year. Heavy at low speed but overall I liked the 3 much more.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I started with a TR3A in college....and ended up with a Sprite. Wife...kids...and a house payment came along...but 10 years ago finally got a TR3A again. WHEW! That Sprite was a few years back in the memory bank...but there is really a big difference in these cars. While the car you are looking at is apart...do take to heart the suggestion made above...find a 3 owner to give you a ride...and after you wipe the grin off your face...go buy the 3....get that ride before someone else does! Gil NoCal

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry if I missed this but;

1) How are going to use the car
2) How long planning on owning
3) How tall are you?

You'll get a far better Midget per $ than TR3.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DougF said:
Parts availability is probably better for the Midget,

Really? I don't know anything about Midget parts availability, but TR3 availability seems very good to me. Much better now than it was 40 years ago.

There are also a plethora of performance parts readily available, including a drop-in big bore kit that will take displacement up to almost 2300cc and a Rootes type supercharger kit. Last I heard, you could also get bolt-on throttle body fuel injection. The amazing part is that the old TRactor motor will tolerate such large increases in power output!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I posted in your thread over on the Spridget forum, but I'll add this here as well. Get the one you *love* more. You'll spend too much money and time on any old car, no matter what you wind up with so you had better be doing it in the car you *want*. Doesn't matter what that car will be, so long as it's the one for you.

I started with a TR4 in 2005. It needed work, but would have been worth doing. Just didn't, in the end, want to do it for that car. Sold it for the Bugeye, put a pile of time and money into that one. No regrets, as I really wanted a Bugeye so it was worth the financial and temporal pain. But I really wanted a RHD car, wanted overdrive, and didn't want to convert the Bugeye further (I'm more of an originality guy than I thought). So I sold the Bugeye for my current MGB -- for me, it's the right car (original spec, factory OD, RHD, room for my long legs, etc).

So if you just love the TR3 or just want a change, get a TR3 and enjoy it. If you love your Midget, keep it and enjoy it. This is not a rational decision (a cheap modern hatchback will beat these cars in stock form in almost every performance factor) it's an emotional one.