• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

36'F, no top, highway driving

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I hear you. Last night was cold in NUJ too.

Every Monday I work a half-day and then drive to my daughter's to watch my grandaughter (so my daughter can go to work....I wait until my son-in-law gets home).

Anyway, it's 85 miles each way, and I drove the Miata home late last night with the top down. I refuse to put the windows up but I have the heater cranking! My hands were stone-cold by the time I got home.
I gotta remember to put gloves in the car....and my ~tougue~ :laugh:

It's brisk today too. The MGB brought me to work....top down, of course.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I had my first chilly run last Sat. about 36. newly made wind blocker, gloves, warm coat and heater cranking, I was fine but it was only 12 miles! Quite an exhilarating ride, really liked it, looking forward to another this weekend.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
My BE is a continual work in progress. This last yr., I recovered the seats in leather with heaters. I don't presently live in the same city as the BE and haven't hooked the heaters up yet, but I've thought as in your case it would be pretty cool, to coin a pun.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I do that all the time! The top goes on only when it is raining or snowing (although I have driven in both types of weather al fresco!).

A good stocking hat, winter jacket and gloves is all you need. :smile:

We should start some sort of 'polar bear' club......main requirement is to drive topless at least once when it is below freezing outside (32*) and/or aggressively snowing. Not some cruise around the block either.....it would have to be at least 15 miles in distance or 30 minutes in duration.

Ultra polar bear members (polar bear elite?) would do the same drive when it is below zero.

Hmmm.....it has possibilities.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
mrsprite said:

great concept just one anxiety - salt

RickB

Yoda
Wait a minute - "heater"??? What is this strange invention of which you speak???
Seriously, you guys get heat? How?
Maybe my radiator just works too efficiently, on cool 40F mornings my engine doesn't reach 160F on a 15 mile drive. Since it stays so cold the thermostat stays closed most of the way. Do I need to reduce airflow?

My heater works, in hot summer driving when the engine is continuously 180 - 185F the heater cranks out all kinds of heat. So much that I bypass it to keep my sandals from melting.

The other three seasons - nothing but cool breeze.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And what temp thremostat do you have. 180 should work fine. If not block off a bit of radiator with cardboard.

walshja

Jedi Warrior
RickB,

I would think something is wrong with your thermostat, like it's not closing, or there isn't one in there. I would check it out.

cars need to run at a certain temperature. I don't think your thermostat is staying closed on cold days, I think it's stuck open, or you don't have a thermostat installed. an open thermostat will not allow your engine to reach operating temperature, and would also affect the heat output of your heating system.

the thermostat should stay closed until your engine reaches the proper temperature, then open and close to maintain that temperature.

just my take . . .

H

highhilleer

+1 For a simple device it seems that thermostats are really miss understood. Running too cool is actually bad for the engine. With a functioning thermostat the engine should run at the proper temperature regardless of the air temperature.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
JPSmit said:
mrsprite said:

great concept just one anxiety - salt

True. We are lucky, I guess, here in Colorado they don't use salt in the traditional sense. They do use sand, which is hard on paint and windshields, but not corrosive salt.

Although, in many parts (especially the Denver metro area) they spray a liquid solution on the roads prior to the snowfall to help prevent ice from forming. It is technically a salt (magnesium chloride), but it isn't as bad as regular sodium chloride is, as far as rust is concerned (still nasty stuff though).

We could forego the driving in snow requirement.....probably for the better.....I drove my Bugeye in a snowstorm last year and it didn't like it one bit! :smile:

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Rick
Remember that on your entire trip to work you are driving downhill and that engine isn't working too hard, maybe if you lived in Seattle and drove uphill to work you would get some heat. Blocking off about 1/2 of your radiator would work in the morning but wouldn't be so good in the afternoon.
Bill