• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 - will I fit?

spaamport

Freshman Member
Hi guys,
new to the forum. I wanted to ask - and BE HONEST

I am 6'2", about 240lbs and I have a 35" inseam. So I'm tallish, but I'm all legs.

I think the TR3 is possibly one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I want one and am considering hunting one down in good condition and buying one.

But I don't have access to get in one and drive one and I am concerned that as a practical matter I won't fit, my legs will be too long and getting in and out will be an act of contortion.

So before I go out of my way to find one, I figured I'd get some opinions.

Is this a potential problem or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks,
Christian

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You know Christian, I'm beginning to think that tall people fit the TR3 easier than small (like me). I've decided that for tall people the seat goes way aft, so you have more room between the seat and steering wheel. With my stubby legs the seat is way forward, so the wheel is a tight fit. It is very comfortable once seated, though.

I am sure your post will have plenty of responses!

John

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You will fit much better with the top down!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't think you'll have a problem, as long as the seat adjuster works and you have normal range of motion in your knees. I'm not as tall as you are, but the seat will still go back by several inches from where I like it. I'm also thicker, and I don't have any trouble getting in and out except when my knees are acting up. (My car is even lower than stock, so getting out is basically a deep knee bend motion.)

Don't be fooled by the optional adjustable steering wheel, though. It only adjusts from "too close" to "closer than that". The non-adjustable wheel is farther from the seat back.

As noted, it's a whole lot roomier with the top (and sidecurtains) off :smile:
Seriously, I don't like to drive nearly as much with the top up, makes it seem kind of claustrophobic to me. At least as I remember, my current TR3 doesn't even have the bows and brackets installed, so I couldn't put a top on if I wanted to.

Country flag
Plenty of leg room in the TR3. You'll feel like you're putting on some tight clothes getting in but once your in, you have ample room.

Marv

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yes, I agree. I am about 5'11" (an weigh more than you lets just leave it at that) and have no issues fitting comfortably in the car. I find that it has more room than my TR250/TR6 as the lack of the center console in the 3 means that I can move my right leg over a little farther.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm 6'2" at 210 and have no problem. My inseam's about the same as yours. There's more room in the TR3 then my Miata.

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Summer is coming, and with it come many car shows. I would advise you to go to a local British Car Show, find a TR3 on display, and tell the owner your situation. Most people will certainly allow you to sit in their car. Heck you might even find one for sale. More then a few years ago, at the Palo Alto Car Show, the owner of a mint 1972 Lotus Europa allowed me to do just what you want to do. I found out that the car fit me perfectly if I didn't mind having my head angled back so that my forehead rested again the roof. Good Luck.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have a tall friend who had a problem sitting comfortably in a TR3 -- his left knee would foul on the forward side curtain bracket. This was a car with wedge-mount side curtains. He drove mine (Dzus mount) and it was better but his right knee was still bent up aways. You probably just need to track one down for a try-on.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One small tip for getting in. Back in to the seat...sit down....then just swing the legs in. Much better. And you should have plenty of leg room. And you are on track....The TR3 is one of the coolest cars ever! Gil NoCal

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
6'6" here. I bought a TR3 because I could fit in it. I did have a thinner seat bottom made for it. That gives me a good position behind the windshield and helps with the fit under the large wheel, but I can drive ok with the original cushion.

But by all means go to a show and try a few on, I think I've sold a few taller guys on TR3s at British car shows!

Good hunting,
John

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
I have a tall friend who had a problem sitting comfortably in a TR3 -- his left knee would foul on the forward side curtain bracket. This was a car with wedge-mount side curtains. He drove mine (Dzus mount) and it was better but his right knee was still bent up aways. You probably just need to track one down for a try-on.

Yes, I hit that when I get on the clutch. When I get tired of it I unscrew the bracket and put it in the boot.
John

M

Member 10617

GilsTR said:
One small tip for getting in. Back in to the seat...sit down....then just swing the legs in. Much better. And you should have plenty of leg room. And you are on track....The TR3 is one of the coolest cars ever! Gil NoCal

I agree. I have friends who are about your size and have let them drive my car. When they try to go in feet-first, they can't make it. But when they slide in and bring their legs in, they are surprized at how easy it is to get into the car.

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am 6'4" and I have sat in a few.....mine is still in the restoration process, But it seems way more comfortable than the TR6 I drove to a show for a friend. I will say I tip the scales over 260 as well.....

If I don't fit when I am done, someone will get a good deal on a very nice restoration.....

Tugboat

Country flag
I am 6'3" 250 lbs with a 34 inch inseam and can vouch for what the others say about a TR3 being very roomy from a length standpoint. I don't have my seat near as far back as it can go. I did initially but found that I was getting cramps in my calves from having to reach forward for the pedals. You will be fine.

On an unrelated note, JP, you ever going to get back to me on the temperature gauge?

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mike,
I must have missed your follow up PM. I have a hectic schedule. But if I am moving too slowly for you feel free to find another gauge. Otherwise drop me a pm and I will try to get is boxed up soon.

Christian ...Sorry to take over your post with unrelated business....

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Tugboat said:
I am 6'3" 250 lbs... I don't have my seat near as far back as it can go...

Which brings up a point -- at 5'10" I do have my seat as far back as it can go... but I have the early 'rounded' front occasional seat behind me. A TR with no rear seat may give more room for a long-legged driver.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Best thing is to find one and ask if you can sit in it -- everyone's body is different. I sat in a friend's TR3 last summer and had some issues (I'm 6'1" 210#); my knees banged up against the underside of the dash pretty badly.

Most LBC owners (myself included) are happy to let someone have a sit -- we want to spread our obsession to as many folks as possible!
grin.gif