• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR 3A Brake, Pipe Line Question.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Redoing the brake lines as part of the frame off restoration of my post 60000 TR 3A. The lines that were on the car were steel and some of them were not original I suspect. In any event I am replacing them with cupro-nickel lines that are cut to length with the fittings on them. They are not pre-bent. I'm sure some of you out there have done this so I need your guidence here. The main pipe line goes from the flexible rear pipe to a fitting on the 5 way union. along the way it takes a jog around the jack hole. I was told by the tech guy at TRF that this is the only pipe that cannot be prebent and then installed. I can understand that after looking at the rout that it has to take. My question is how did you put the jack jog into the pipe. Obviously you can't put it in after its installed so how did you do it? What I see is possibly putting the jog in first then sliding it through the rear frame hole as far as it will go and then sliding it through the front frame holes. Does that make sense? Do any of this make any sense, heh.

Help, Help, anyone out there!

Thanks, Tinkerman

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Here is how it's done. The photo is from Menno in The Netherlands. He added the extra clips which I did not add on my 1958 TR3A, nor on the late TR3A I finished in 2006. There is a clip spot-welded to the bottom of the floor pan to hold up this brake pipe where the dog-leg makes the two closer middle turns.

Attachments

• 17047.jpg
    17047.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 166

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I don't remember any real problems putting in that pipe. I had to do a little bending to get the old pipe out. I then pre-bent the new one to as close as possible to the one I took out. I had to finagle getting the new one in, with some bending here and there to line things up one it was in place.

Pre-bend it the best you can, and then work from there.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
"TRF that this is the only pipe that cannot be prebent and then installed"

Dick - I can only assume this is correct, not because of installation difficulties on your TR, but it's simply too long to prebend before they ship it to you. So it comes coiled up and the rest is up to you. As Art writes above, it's not hard to install, once you do the bending. But it's a lot easier if your body is still off.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
martx-5 said:
I don't remember any real problems putting in that pipe. I had to do a little bending to get the old pipe out. I then pre-bent the new one to as close as possible to the one I took out. I had to finagle getting the new one in, with some bending here and there to line things up one it was in place.

Pre-bend it the best you can, and then work from there.

Agreed Not such a tough job! :yesnod:

Attachments

• 17051.jpg
    17051.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 17052.jpg
    17052.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 113
OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Thanks, guys. I suspect I was in one of my over engineering modes. I will just go do it!

Cheers, Tinkerman