• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

THIRD BLOWN HEAD GASKET! please HELP!!!!!

srvtribute

PHOTO ATTACHED

Here we go.. I assembled, torqued etc. Car ran MINT, 4 times around the block then lost cylinders 3+4 again. I disassembled the head again. Blown gasket in between 3+4 just like the previous time. NOW THE PLOT THICKENS. I compared both blown gaskets and they were identical, with burn marks in the same spot! Now, if you're leaning on the driver side fender and looking at the engine, there is a hole in the engine block at about 1 o'clock in relation to the #4 cylinder which doesn't seem to go anywhere, yet is blocked off by the head gasket. Both times the head gasket had a hole burned through it in that spot. before I reassembled the head, I assumed that this hole was an antifreeze port and there was antifreeze left in the hole before assembly. Could it be possible that the coolant in the hole boiled and blew the gasket?? HELP-

PHOTO ATTACHED

Attachments

• 266037-a1_1_b.JPG
    266037-a1_1_b.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 126

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Of course you have checked the head and block to see how flat they were before you assembled the engine first didn't you? Is there any evidence of erosion on either surface around the areas of the blow-out?
Bill

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Has to be something wrong with the mateing surfaces I would think. Check the head first that is the most likely cause. Err, have it checked at machine shop.

OP
S

srvtribute

what's your theory on the hole filled with antifreeze?
I'm gonna send in the head tomorrow am. I bought this head reman from victoia b.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I just read your links on the MG side and may have changed my mind. If you haven't yet pulled the head you should try TIGHTENING those head nuts to see just where they are NOW (you will need a "bendbeam" type torque wrench to read this) but I will bet that those two (or more) studs are not at 44 ft-lbs but probably at 20 to 30 and either the threads in the block are destroyed and pulling out or the studs are not grade5 but may now be grade "crud" and are stretching and not holding torque.
Bill

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
If it's reman, I would 'assume' that it was straight and level. Is the block warped? If it's your third, then it's not out of the question that some trauma to the block has also occured.
Are you taking the block to the machine shop also?

OP
S

srvtribute

Hi Barry,
ASSUME is the key word here. When I first got the car, it overheated at highway speed. I had the original head checked and it was cracked. A mechanic friend of mine installed the reman head. A week later,I lost 3+4 cyl.I then replaced the gasket myself to spec. 10 minuted later I lost 3+4 again I'm assuming the reman head was level. THE CAR NEVER OVERHEATED with the new head.
It's a possibility that it wasn't. I think at this point, I'll replace all studs, nuts etc and get the head checked/leveled and try again. I'm gettin to be a master at dismantling this baby in record time! The good news is that the car ran unbelievable with the new weber dgv. Suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated!
Eddie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What a pain, but you'll get there.

OP
S

srvtribute

Thanks for the encouragement Jack! I haven't been this greasy since my Harley shovelhead chopper days. LOVE IT!!!!
Eddie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
It will be a pain, but the midget needs you. There's a not so obvious reason why it keeps a' poppin, that you'll need to track it down so it doesn't keep happening. Nothing more frustrating than to keep repairing something, and it go bad again. Take your time.

Morris

Yoda
Where are you sourcing those head gaskets? The 77 1500 should have a recess around each cylinder bore and a ring on the head gasket that fits into said bore to prevent it from blowing between cylinders. The gasket in the picture does not appear to have the ring. Earlier Triumph 1500s and 1300s (essentially the same engine with a different crankshaft) did not have this ring. Is it possible you are using a head gasket for the early engines?

OP
S

srvtribute

Good eye! That pic was for reference purposes. The 2 I used, from vb and one from an import shop. They both had the ring on the gaskets. The 1/3 inch bores in the block still have me puzzled. any info on those?

Morris

Yoda
That's what the ring fits into.

I reccomend only using Payen brand gaskets. I also reccomend buying them from Tony (theautoist.com I believe).

If you previously had a cracked head, things must have gotten pretty hot at some point. It may be neccessary to mill the block which could have gotten warped a bit when the head cracked?

When is the last time you check your spark timing? Could spark detonation cause this problem? It doesn't seem like it. Maybe someone smarter than me knows...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Remove all the studs and check the block (after scrupulously cleaning it!) for raised metal around the stud holes (chamfering these is a real benefit, BTW) and the block surface with a GOOD straight-edge. Should not be able to see light twixt block and tool anywhere... I think the most "gap" permissible is 0.002". Good to have a shop check that "reman" head. Take nothing for granted at this point.

On reassembly, clean the stud holes "hospital clean" and use red LocTite on the stud-to-block threads. I *DO* lube the nuts (some will cringe and take exception) on torquing the head in place, following the "map" for sequence. And I've rarely "retorqued" cast iron to cast iron head/block LBC's. Though in this instance I would be inclined to do it.

HTH!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Excellent advise Doc. I completely concur.

Thats a big 10-4

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Can we get a fee for the consultation, Jack? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yea prob Doc. That good feeling you get when you help out even if it is via long distance.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Works fer me.