• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Blown Water Hose--Why?

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
About three years ago I put a new water hose on my engine--the little curved thermostat bypass hose on the side of the thermostat housing.

Today it blew a hole in the side and emptied half my radiator, sending my gauge to near redline on a chilly afternoon drive.

The sidewall felt like paper. It was literally all corroded and cracked, and thin.

I don't drive the car nearly enough, but what's the deal here. Surely the modern technology for radiator hoses should allow a useful life somewhat comparable to any other ordinary car on the road. Why the constant peril? Luckily, because of advice from this forum I had an extra in the trunk. I'd like to think its for unlikely emergencies rather than for expected failures.

Could this also signify issues with my thermostat? (I'm practicing my whining)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I doubt the thermostat caused the blown hose, but sometimes overheating can wipe out a thermostat.
Short-lived rubber parts seem to be a recurring theme with our cars. Probably the same people that put antifreeze in toothpaste are recycling condoms now. I'm on my 3rd or 4th bypass hose since 2008.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I went to the auto parts store and matched that hose up withone there to free myself from third world addiction.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have had the same problem on my TR3. Do you have a part number from the local auto parts store. I need to replace mine again. I dont want to pay $7.00 for shipping.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
When mine failed awhile back it sprayed the distributor and gave me a nasty miss long before the engine could overheat. I think that was a built-in safety feature.

Are the fabric wrapped hoses any better? I'm thinking that is what I got from TRF.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The one I got from TRF did not last any longer than the one with only (rubber).

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think it's time for SS if they are that bad

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree, mine were the fabric wrapped ones from TRF.

Don, the SS is only an outer covering, similar to the fabric. The key part is the inner hose.

One solution might be a pair of 90 degree molded hoses (from a modern car) and a union between them. That's probably what I'll try next time.

Another, less attractive solution would be to drill a passage through the thermostat back plate and install plugs in place of the bypass line. Not so good for those of you who drive in cold weather, but works well enough here in CA.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm not talking a bling piece from Jegs.
I'm talking a hose that is suppose to last.
Like This

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hmm, 8" bend radius. That should look ... entertaining.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I wish I would have written the number down. I have gone tothe same store for many years and we went to the rack and found one. It was aperfect match. However, in the past I have picked one out that was longer or slightlydifferent and just cut out the section I wanted with the correct bend.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree, mine were the fabric wrapped ones from TRF.

Don, the SS is only an outer covering, similar to the fabric. The key part is the inner hose.

One solution might be a pair of 90 degree molded hoses (from a modern car) and a union between them. That's probably what I'll try next time.

Another, less attractive solution would be to drill a passage through the thermostat back plate and install plugs in place of the bypass line. Not so good for those of you who drive in cold weather, but works well enough here in CA.

Are the "high tech silicone hose" from Moss any better?At $50 for a bypass hose I would think they should last.
As far as plugging the bypass,I think the heater circuit also provides for block circulation when the stat is closed. Seems the bypass would be needed for the no heater or heater valve closed condition.
Tom

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Need to find a bulk seller of the "silli" hoses
So not to pay mark up for kits that is not needed

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
When that hose blew on my TR3 I installed a new hose and wrapped it in a silicone type tape that I bought locally. I can't remember the name of that product but I see there is a product called Rescuetape that is similar. It can withstand 700psi pressure. I haven't had any issues with that hose since. Rescuetape.com

dklawson

Yoda
Are the "high tech silicone hose" from Moss any better?
Tom

I have no experience with the silicone hose sets from Moss for Triumph's. However, silicone hoses for the Mini have been available for a long time from multiple vendors. I have yet to hear bad things about them apart from a "too shiny" finish on the black sets (other colors are available for the Mini if you are into bling). I have not used those hoses on my Mini but I have used generic straight silicone hoses for the heater on the Spitfire. They are about 4 years old now and show no signs of failing. They are sill highly flexible with no visible cracks.