• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

hydrolic fluid

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
I seem to remember when I had my TR3 and the other Spit I had to use a different type of fluid. This 71 I'm not sure about. Info would be helpful. Don't want to mess up something that's working so well.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I'll assume you mean brake and clutch fluid? Not to worry, as any quality fluid should be ok. The old bit about certain fluids hurting the "natural rubber seals" (or whatever) really doesn't apply any more unless you happen to be using 1950s-vintage NOS rebuild kits for cylinders.

Of course, there are the two main schools of thought as to what to use today: Silicone v. pretty much anything else. Bottom line is that each type has its advantages and disadvantages. I'm strictly a Castrol GT/LMA fan myself (that being the actual successor to the old Castrol-Girling Crimson, Green or Amber flavors over the years).

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
This is a classic debate. I agree with Andrew. I use Castrol GT LMA, which is a DOT4 fluid. It's rated better than the typical DOT 3 that is commonly used, but is still compatible with it. It is also compatible with the rarely found Natural rubber seals in case you come across old stock british hydraulic.
There's lots more info on hydraulic fluid, but I'll leave that to the others who'll chime in

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[sound of chimes]...

I, on the other hand, prefer the DOT 5, aka Silicone.

You owe it to yourself to try to see the pros & cons of both types -- but be forewarned, there's a lot of emotion and misinformation out there on this subject.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I can't disagree with Geo. DOT 5 has many good qualities (won't absorb water, rated for much higher temratures, won't lift paint) but to use DOT5 you need to completely flush the system of DOT 3-or-4. as the silicone is not compatible with the mineral based fluids.
SO if you're just looking to maintain your current system, unchanged, your best bet is DOT 4. most commonly found in the form of Castrol GT LMA (lma stands for low moisture absorbsion).
Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with checking out DOT 5 if you're intrested in converting.

Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Silicon has its attractions, but unless you're purging the system there's no reason to use just some in your system.

OP
kc_doyle

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
I just got home with a can of DOT 4 clutched in my greasy hand. After reading the DOT5 lable, I settled on the 4. I messed up my TR3 with the wrong fluid at one time. Don't want to go there again.