• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Barrett Jackson Bugeye 2016

P

Paul McGuffin

SORRY..IT SHOULD BE BARRETT JACKSON 2017 NOT 2016
Went to Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale, Arizona today. No Mk II, no MG Midgets, three or four MG-A’s, five or so big Healeys and one 1960 Bugeye. IMO..nothing special, except the nice silver paint job, fancy wheels with the old drum brakes. The lot number is 856.2. It had not gone on the auction block as of this afternoon. You can check Barrett Jackson’s website for the sale price.
BarJ3jpg.jpg
BarJ3.jpg
BarJ2.jpg

Attachments

• BarJ1.jpg
    BarJ1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I wouldn't pay $30K for that particular one, but I'm glad someone did....it makes mine worth that much more! :smile:

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just saw it too. $30k is pocket change for many of the attendees, but glad it brought a good price too.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It was amazing how FAST it rocketed up! Yeah, there's a lot of high-rollers that would consider this cheap (regardless of value). Good for all of us. :rolleye:

OP
P

Paul McGuffin

I wouldn't pay $30K for that particular one, but I'm glad someone did....it makes mine worth that much more! :smile:

Actually, the bid was $30,000. He then had about 8% AZ salse tax, $2,400 and 10% buyers fee to Barrett Jackson $3000 for a total of $35,400. Now don’t forget, he/she had to pay $500 for a ticket to be allowed to bid there plus his shipping fees (if any), and a bottle of water cost $3.00 at the show. BUT! The $500 bidding ticked gave you free parking,i but no water. This will do more for the interest and value of ALL Bugeyes than any Government Stimulus package did for our economy.

OP
P

Paul McGuffin

Bubbling vinyl on the dash and no door pockets.

Yep, the interior was really bad...for a show car. I wish I could have seen the engine
BarJ3jpg.jpg
. The drums were rusty, and the inside of the doors were not silver as the outside of the car.

OP
P

Paul McGuffin

I all fairness to the Bugeye bidder....the $500.00 bidding pass gave him/her free parking and access to the auction all days, but no water. That’s was still $3.00 per bottle. The one car I thought was way under valued was a 1961 Morris Minor Woddy. It only went for $14,000. It looked really nice. Sorry I didn’t take a few photos. Maybe you can find it on their website.

nomad

Yoda
I thought bidders could get thoroughly lubricated with alcohol as well as the 3 dollar water. Figured that might have something to do with the bids as well!:rolleye:

Kurt.

OP
P

Paul McGuffin

I thought bidders could get thoroughly lubricated with alcohol as well as the 3 dollar water. Figured that might have something to do with the bids as well!:rolleye:

Kurt.

True Kurt, but that alcohol is not a perk of the $500 ticket. Here’s a really nice 1999 silver Jag that only sold for $9000. ****, you could drive it for a few years, then replace the engine with a nice 289 V-8 Ford . The car was really in great shape.
Jag.jpg

Last edited:

nomad

Yoda
True Kurt, but that alcohol is not a pert of the $500 ticket. Here’s a really nice 1999 silver Jag that only sold for $9000. ****, you could drive it for a few years, then replace the engine with a nice 289 V-8 Ford . The car was really in great shape.View attachment 46762

Sooo, there are some bargains!

Kurt

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yes, I saw that Morris and was really surprised it sold for so little. Someone really lost their shirt on that restoration!! I know that unequivocally because I just finished a 3 year restoration of one.

IMAG0085.jpgDSCF4386.jpegIMAG0088.jpg

I all fairness to the Bugeye bidder....the $500.00 bidding pass gave him/her free parking and access to the auction all days, but no water. That’s was still $3.00 per bottle. The one car I thought was way under valued was a 1961 Morris Minor Woddy. It only went for $14,000. It looked really nice. Sorry I didn’t take a few photos. Maybe you can find it on their website.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I thought the same thing. That Morris Minor that sold looked really nice.

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The BE looks pretty solid. I would like to see more shots of the car. The price of the car is high compared to what may have been bought in the open market. I do know people that have attended Barrett Jackson. Unlike me they are all high net worth car guys for the most part. They have always said that people get caught up in the I can afford it if I really want it mentality - let me prove it to you and the TV viewers. Years later the same hauler takes it back to be resold for less money. You also have the guy or women that just flat out sees something and thinks that it speaks to them. The memory of not being able to have that big block SS RS Camaro as a blue collar kid in High School may be able to get one now. $30K is pretty easy to justify when a base Mustang Convertible is around those kinds of numbers. Plus this guy is now going to have something that will stand out at a Cars and Coffee or in the Parking lot of the local car show. If I was practical I would not have wasted time and money on a consistent basis
on the cars I like. The one car that I have enjoyed the most for the least effort is my 1960 Ford Falcon. Solid not a show car, but I turn the key and it seems to start every time and someone else spent money like a drunken sailor on it. I bought it for way less than his investment, but I may have spent more that it's real worth at the time. I don't think I can say that about any of the other cars that get hundreds of hours of my time. I hope he will come on this site and learn more about what he has if he doesn't already.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think we've seen some BEs here on BCF that were nicer than the Barrett Jackson one. Miss Agatha comes to mind, as does Longbridge Healey's '59.

I know at previous Barrett Jackson auctions, Square Sprites have pulled up into the teens, so seeing Bugeyes pushing into the 20s wouldn't be all that odd.

OP
P

Paul McGuffin

The Barrett Jackson Bugeye, without the paint job and mag wheels, was am 10-K eBay seller, IMO. As Bugeyeguy.com pointed out, even the rear bumper is on crooked.

Last edited:

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OP
P

Paul McGuffin

Here’s a photo of the Barrett Jackson Sprite’s engine.
BugEng.jpg