• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Barrett-Jackson TR3A

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I just returned from the Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach auction (as a rubbernecker only) and was surprised to see a TriumphTR3A, one of a handful of British cars. I examined it closely and found it to be quite a nice example. It was supposedly a British car show car in London, 1961, in spite of the LHD.
It hammered at 34,000 and sold at 37,500 including fees. That was a good price, imo, since the large crowd included very few LBC people.
Here's the link, you may need a Barrett-Jackson account to open:
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1961-TRIUMPH-TR-3-A-ROADSTER-190556

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I'd be afraid to drive such a pristine example. That's the trouble with those over-restored cars. Ideal Classic Cars down here in Venice has a lot of those extra-clean cars.
Already my leased Subaru has a ding in the driver door from a careless parker.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
The listing notes "actual London Showroom 1961 show car"; I am guessing that means that it was on display in the London showroom, where many folks would pick up their "Personal Export Delivery" Triumphs to drive around a bit and then bring back to the US.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Tom what other sales do you recall ? British. Kevin

1MG TD, 1MG B, 1MG B GT, and several Jags that I noticed. Also lots of late generation Bentley (seem to be the latest fad in Florida). Not much considering there were several hundred cars on the block. There is a list on the Barrett-Jackson website.

Pdplot, The goal of restoration, imo, is to make the car as close to what it was when newish, without making any of the repairs detectable. This car did that. It surely had paint and interior, but my guess is that it never had any substantial rust. It's not a daily driver but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it on weekends and to shows and such if it were mine.

Andy, I think you are spot on with this.

Tom

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
$34k is a lot better than the crazy money ($92k?) that a TR4 brought a few years ago - remember that one?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Tom, my guess is that a lot of these 100-point cars were not purchased by enthusiasts like us but by "investors" who regard them as just another commodity, driving the price way out of line.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
My guess is at $34k it was not a very good investment for the seller. I'll bet after paying BJ their 10% he lost his shirt.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
My guess is at $34k it was not a very good investment for the seller. I'll bet after paying BJ their 10% he lost his shirt.

I have a good friend who always says, "You can't pay too much for a classic car, you can just buy too soon!"

As long as you don't die or have to sell it too early, you will always get your money back out.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

I'm not sure exactly how it works but there is 10% added to the buyers cost making it $37,400 and I'm sure the seller gets less than the 34 hammer price.
My guess, from looking closely at the car, and I have no other information, is that it had paint and interior, probably a fresh engine and other mechanical rebuilds and little else. The car is very good but not pristine. Even with that, the seller may not have come out ahead, but didn't loose the shirt either.
I just looked it up on Hagerty (I wonder if this sale is reflected on their valuation tool?) and find at condition 2 that it would be valued at 39,100. I'd put this one at the lower end of condition 2, so the match is pretty close.
I suppose potential buyers and sellers will draw their own conclusions but I thought it would be good to have this auction result, as well as previous ebay sales, for a reference since these LBCs are pretty rare at the big boy auctions.
I think I might get a bidders number for the next one.
Tom

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Do you recall what the TD sold for ? and what kind of condition? It looks like I'll be selling one for a good friend of mine. His dad passed away three years ago and he just isn't in to it.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. I always liked Clipper Blue on these cars. That seems like a ton of money for a TD, doesn't it?

Way more than I'd pay. Again, I don't know the ins and outs of these auctions but I think that one rolled out with a high bid of 27 or 28. Plenty enough at that, and I know there is a buyers premium, but I don't know how it got to the number on the sales sheet.
At any rate, that's what it is.
Tom