• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thank You Barrett Jackson

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had bought a BT 7 for a parts car and I noticed Lynne was really paying attention to the selling prices on the Healeys. Well tonight she asked me why we didn`t restore the parts car since it was about 75% there. I just hope she feels that way when the bills starting rolling in thanks Barrett Jackson.

skip,after the b.j.auction,the lovely wife of a fellow member(SHG)gave him permission to spend 50. big ones on his bj8,i know hes thanking barret jackson very much indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
I always like this , after every BJ auction , another car is "hot",
so the owners (or their wifes) think they have a gold mine , when the week before it was a pile !

Barrett Jackson prices are not real world !
but I am sure most of you know that anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
I beg to differ. BJ prices are real, BUT they are for the 99 percentile cars, not the drivers many of us have. I also believe the BJ prices drag the prices of our drivers up.

OP
S

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Don`t think I would thank them 50 grand worth, I get more pleasure from doing the restoration than anything else. But I have 3 daughters so each will get a car when I am in my wheelchair. I was going let it sit in the back of the shop and do another airplane but I guess now I will have 3 Healeys. The way they have been going the past few years the money will return there better than sitting in the bank anyway. The reason I was thanking Curt Tanner is without someone like him going to Barrett Jackson our cars wouldn`t be worth as much no matter how well they were restored.

skip and lynne,i respectfully submit the thanks are somewhat misplaced,we shouldnt thank B.J.,or kurt tanner,but rather the heavely bank accouned knuckle heads that are willing and able to pay such over inflated prices,o.k. what came first? the chicken or the egg?/B.J. or the bibbers,or the builders?,its making alot of people happy no matter how we look at it! good luck on your new project.as per my attachment,is the "night flight cafe" still up and running,or have they changed it to something else? regards anthony7777 1963 bj7 3000 M.K. II /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I beg to differ. BJ prices are real, BUT they are for the 99 percentile cars, not the drivers many of us have. I also believe the BJ prices drag the prices of our drivers up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi ThomP -- Alas, I'm not sure I can agree with you on the values for concours cars (though I respect your view). If you take the average price of Big Healeys at BJ, they were in the $70k range, and by all reports this was for cars that were better overall restorations than the golden metallic beige BJ8 that set the record. My Healey is a concours car (see https://www.tr-250.com/Healey/HealeyPage.htm, and while I think that there will be one or two cars at the big auctions that take huge numbers, I would wager that I couldn't turn my car into any more than $70k to $75k. Car is in perfect shape and restored by a Pebble Beach winner (who happens to be a family member -- I didn't spend the money!!!). Alas, I think the $130k number was the combination of the last day, a big spender and TV coverage. Now, that being said I would never have dreamed that we'd be talking about BJ8s going for $75k, so even the "average" numbers for concours cars make my head swim.

Of course, I'll sell my baby to the first guy with a cashier's check for $100k! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Ahh Barrett Jackson...where $45,000 Healeys become $80,000 Healeys, $50,000 Corvettes become $115,000 Corvettes, and $35,000 Camaros become $135,000 Camaros.

By the way, please don't assume all those cars are concours cars. I've seen many cars that have gone through Pebble, and many would be #3s. I actually like watching the auction on TV and look for the flaws. (Like when the Caddy's filler was exposed (behind the tail light) and it was all corroded and nasty behind the light. It's also easy to spot sanding scratches.

My favorite was last year, when a Z-28 was described as an original "disc brake car and cross-ram car." The same car had run across the block the year before with "original drum brakes" and no cross-ram.

And the dirty little secret: BJ buys cars all year and runs them through their own auction. They love that muscle cars are so hot, because it's easy to accumulate big block Corvettes and Hemis all year, then sell them at auction -- especially when you have plants running up the prices!!!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif SAMMY!!, you realy mean they do those kind of things?---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
skip,after the b.j.auction,the lovely wife of a fellow member(SHG)gave him permission to spend 50. big ones on his bj8,i know hes thanking barret jackson very much indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Naw Anthony, SHG is back at the pet shop seein what else will fit on or in his car. He is very frugal you know---Keoke--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif SAMMY!!, you realy mean they do those kind of things?---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My father was at a classic car club event, trying to explain how Barrett Jackson shill-bids their own cars, and one of the less-than-stellar members (who has the most gorgeous Derby Bentley -- so how he can have such great taste in cars, but be such a tool is beyond me) couldn't understand how they could do so and make money.

He kept trying to question how they could pay themselves to send the car through, and even run the risk of buying their own car.

My father kept saying: well, if you buy a Corvette 427/435hp for $55,000, send it through the auction and have your own guys bid it up to $100,000 or so, you basically wind up paying yourself $8,000 in fees and sell it at the next event if your shill gets stuck with the car, but then every nicer Corvette (of which there are 20 or so) for the rest of the auction goes for $135,000+ and you pocket all the buyer and seller fees.

Y'ever notice how you see the same faces bidding, but never being the high bidder? I have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
S

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I did that exact thing in November with a backhoe, took it to the auction and ended up buying it back myself. Thank goodness there were no fees just good ole folks down in south Jawja. Skip

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Sammy, I was gonna save up to go to the auction next year but in view of all these revelations I think I will just stock up on-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
It's great to go to the auction if you have any of the "in" cars. A member of our local region of the classic car club of america sold both the record Olds concept in 2005 and the Chrysler D'elegance this year -- total take: $4M.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Naw Anthony, SHG is back at the pet shop seein what else will fit on or in his car. He is very frugal you know---Keoke--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Keoke is absolutely right. Just because she's willing doesn't mean that I would spend it. Right now, I'm trying to figure out whether a large doggy bowl with a hole in the center is a good substitute for a vredestein 165/15. And, I might add, my boot looks mint!

shg,iffin your wife o.k.ed the 50.large,i godda get her to talk to my wife! by the way two dashhounds tied end to end make a good spare tire!. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifkeokes right!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Keoke is absolutely right. Just because she's willing doesn't mean that I would spend it. Right now, I'm trying to figure out whether a large doggy bowl with a hole in the center is a good substitute for a vredestein 165/15. And, I might add, my boot looks mint!

[/ QUOTE ]

No!! SHG get one of those large round rubber pull toys it will work a treat.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

skip and lynne,thanks now i know what all that sqeelin is,i thought it was the live cheewawah hood orniment!o.k. next question,how about "port royale" still there? i trully must take a trip back to my second home to see for myself how much its changed,nowing you guys live there just brings back alot of great times for me.thanks,anthony7777 1963 bj7 M.K.II,stay well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif