• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thoughts from Scottsdale - Live @ Barrett-Jackson

noutlaw

I spent quite a deal of time here @ the Scottsdale show (went to Barrett, and RM Auctions)... Here are some observations, etc. I'm not going to cross reference to all car#'s don't have the time.

The show (if you haven't noticed) is very muscle car oriented - so if you had a AH with a small block & some meats you might do really well. The healey's always get attention that they deserve. As far as auction prices - you get what's in the croud. I watched a Hudson (perfect) with 17000 original miles sell for $17k - couldn't believe it - it belongs in a museum. Then you see a Packard Carribean go for $141k - someone had to have that car - i think that's the way it goes - if the guy's there and he wants a Healey and he's got the bank to back it up - he'll get it - period. Personally, I'd never buy one this way - you can't drive it, test it, feel it - and honestly know what's been done to it - but hey everyone does it their own way. To the people who got the cars - if they are new to AH ownership - welcome to the club...

#1 - the "Green BJ8 that sold for $55k - talked with the owner for a while - nice looking car (outside) some issues with the restoration - paint misses underneath the hood, cleanup under the car, etc. I think the $55k was high - but a very good driver.

#2 - Black 100 with low miles - pretty nice car - i think someone got a good deal on a low mile restorer.

#3 - Blue ($21,000 car) - a "fixer upper" in my book - and not in good shape.

#4 - Green $105k car - nice car - talked with John from Healey Lane that did the actual work. He mentioned that the car literally "just got done". Overall everything fit, lined up nice, etc. It was sitting next to Tanner's cars and holding it's own. The tan leather interior was interesting - too much of a sharp contrast for me personally. I think someone really wanted a Green Healey.

#5 - Kurt Tanner's cars (green BJ7/Maroon BJ8) - as always excellent specimens. However I heard that he was "[censored]" at getting such a low value for the BJ7. Personally I think it's in line with the market for a BJ7. It's not a Healey color (paint or interior) - it's a Jag color - it looks really good together - but for me as a purist I gotta have what was in the book in '66. I did notice some issues with the door fit on the Green car, etc. So I think it was rushed at the last minute (often the case).

#6 - Healeys @ RM (Gold and Yellow) - There was a nice gold car @ RM Auctions - I noticed some slight cosmetic issues in the shroud - and it appeared to have undercoating on it - but overall the body fit was very good as was the paint. There was a Yellow 3000mk1 @ the show too - nice looking car - you could probably have gotten a good deal given the color.

#8/note i did not see a Single Jag @ Barrett Jackson (Xke types - you know the "cheap ones" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif - (of course i could have missed it). I saw one triumph go across (i think it's from hyman's in st louis). Tells me - if you had one of those (#1) and wanted to sell Barret Jackson might be the place next year...

#9 - i did hear a rumor on the tri-carb that they couldn't get it to start - had to find a local mechanic to look @ it - fitted with something wrong in the carbs... when you rush you just miss stuff...

I own a #1 67 AH Blue BJ8 in Denver/Boulder.