• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Barrett Jackson Auction 62 2 Seater Tri-carb only brings 48k

wolf

Country flag
Watching ( on TV ) the Barrett-Jackson Auction last night , I was disappointed to see a very nice 1962 2 seater tri-carb only sell for $48K ( good for the buyer ) but I was thinking more like $60K - $70K , don't know if the color was a factor , the car was white with red interior with chrome wire wheels . It was one of the fastest to go across the block , they were going to an ad that also may have been a factor . What do you guys think ? Correct price or low .

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Didn't see the auction but price sounds low to me, particularly for a BN7. I'm like you, would have figured in the 60's for a BN7 tri carb. Color could have been a factor too - should have had red coves on it !

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
This car was on eBay recently. It was for sale by Kurt Tanner restorations, but was not restored by him. Vague description in the numbers, since the original tags were included, but not necessarily on the original parts. BN6 bonnet wasn't mentioned. No white piping on correct red leather seats - how correct is that? Other things that might have kept the bidding lower than expected. I wrote to Kurt about his description and he said if it was one of his restorations, it would sell fo twice the price. I felt he could have pointed out the differences, since he is an authority.
I hope the buyer isn't expecting an authentic car in every way.
Bob

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Even authority has an expiration date ... :angel2:

Marketvalue is what its sold for in real life

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
The Barrett-Jackson auctions are usually not the best venues to sell them funny furrin' cars. They seem to move them through very quickly to get back to the Mustangs and Corvettes. That's what the bidders came for.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
61 just sold for 70 G's things are improving

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's better . 110Gs for a 67 BJ8

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gentleman
As Steve G mentioned I went and looked at this car as a potential purchase. To say it was less than stellar is kind. Although I believe that it is a real Mark II BN7 TRICARB, it was somewhat pieced together.

This was not a Kurt Tanner restoration but rather an older non professional attempt, somewhat poorly executed. The car barely ran, the paint was poor and the interior incorrect.
I did not get to see the under side of the car to check for rust, or possibly worse, rust repair poorly executed.

It is not my intent to be mean spirited, but this car was not what it appeared to be. In my opinion if you wanted to make this a good car you would virtually have to start over. At $48 K this car was well sold.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Gentleman
As Steve G mentioned I went and looked at this car as a potential purchase. To say it was less than stellar is kind. Although I believe that it is a real Mark II BN7 TRICARB, it was somewhat pieced together.

This was not a Kurt Tanner restoration but rather an older non professional attempt, somewhat poorly executed. The car barely ran, the paint was poor and the interior incorrect.
I did not get to see the under side of the car to check for rust, or possibly worse, rust repair poorly executed.

It is not my intent to be mean spirited, but this car was not what it appeared to be. In my opinion if you wanted to make this a good car you would virtually have to start over. At $48 K this car was well sold.

This story has a familiar ring: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?92498-1961-3000-Restoration&highlight=tanner

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Could there be more to this story? Sounds sort of like hearing about a divorce from one party only.

I've been to Tanner's shop several times and seen his work. He has a good reputation as far as I know - would like to know more about why he would risk it on a deal like this.

However, also heard he's now out of the resto business and is just buying and selling cars.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I saw the car. It was interesting in that it was originally exported to Belgium (or was it Denmark? Oh well, no matter) and was a stripper: no overdrive, no adjustable steering column and steel wheels. How many of the 355 two-seat tri-carbs were made without those options that we tend to think of as standard here in the colonies where we got option-loaded cars? It might be nearly one-of-a-kind. Anyway, it was a bit scruffy; certainly not a complete or fresh or well-done restoration, and people go to Barrett-Jackson auctions to buy dreams, not projects.

I would not have bid on it at all.

Between the Barrett-Jackson and Russo and Steele auctions, I think there were 13 Big Healeys available. There was also an early 100-Six BN4 with an engine from a 3000 at the Silver auction. I think Gooding also had a Big Healey, or was it two? Forgive me for an imprecise memory, but after seeing something like 2,500 cars last week, some things tend to blur, and I was looking closely at a lot more that just the Big Healeys.

Please search the auction company websites for results. The only one I specifically remember is John Wilson's BJ8 at B-J hammering at $100,000, which means that the winning bidder paid $110,000 if B-J's buyer's commission is still 10 percent. It was a very lovely car and should make someone very happy.

Last edited:

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
I saw the tri-carb with the ridged bonnet. I thought it looked OK though definitely not concours material. I didn't hear it run. I thought the Healey prices at all the auctions were lower than last year though I haven't done a car by car comparison. Seems to me that most of the Healeys sold for well under 100K. Gooding had two Healeys, a worn BJ8 (50K) and a nice BT7 (71K). The few that bid over 100K were very nice BJ8's. Maybe I won't need to raise my insurance this year.

I saw only one 100 (70K at Bonhams) and not a single 100M or M wannabe this year.

This was an Italian car year for sure, never saw so many Ferrari's, Maserati's, and Lambo's. Toyota FJ40's, 300SL's, 280SL's, Isettas, and Fiat Jollys went for very high prices. It sure makes a good circus and car show but after five years of going I think I may try Monterey/Pebble Beach next year just for a change.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Seems like Healey prices in the US are still some way over those in the UK if 'a nice' BT7 is $71K.

Bear in mind that these are (a) auction prices for cars that are (b) usually for very nice, very recently restored cars. The prices seen in private sales are generally much less than those we see at the auctions, and they are usually for cars that are in lesser condition. Certainly there are exceptions, but we don't see BJ8s in "nice driver" condition changing hands between private parties for $80-100,000, etc. A merely "nice" BT7 might go for $25-40,000 if sold by a private party to another one.

ahealey1004

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Here are a few images from BJ Scottsdale. This BJ8 was restored by John and Robert Wilson of Healey Lane Restoration of Oregon....as you can see their car was beautiful! They chose an Aston Martin racing green color which Donald Healey preferred over BRG.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 131