• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel and Tire Question

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I changed the wheel and tires on the bugeye, I wanted to push the wheel size +1 to have a larger wheel and less tire, but same overall diameter, which I essentially accomplished with finding 185/60-14 is within a tenth or two of stock diameter. I read mixed reviews on clearance however, but went for it. And yes, there is a rear clearance issue, sticking out a bit too far in the rear and under heavy compression, they rub the outer fender lip. First thought was to roll the lip, but I don't want to do that. Second thought was to get the wheels more inboard, by maybe 5mm. How could one accomplish that? Machine the inside of the wheel where it mates to the hub? The wheels are the VTO Minilite copies from Hap. Thoughts? If only there was a step down in size to 175/60-14....but that doesn't seem to exist.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Panhard Bar? I think that's what was done with Blue Max and the Black BE.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Also Gull Wing springs will allow you to do that. Go inboard and inner side of tire rubs against the Springs.

Country flag
Actually, a panhard may make it worse. A panhard bar can pull the axle to the side on complete compression and rebound. Are both sides rubbing? Are your bump stops in place?

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I looked up what I have on 60 FROG. I have VTO 5.5x13.
The tires are Sumitomo HTR4 175/70R13.
Scott MCDonald said he used a caster set to get the top of the wheels to tuck in a bit.
I have no rubbing problems with this setup.
The tires are a little wide so they stick out slightly from the wheel wells and add a little dust to the side of the car front and back , but a little quick detailer that I keep behind the passenger side seat gets the dust off real quick and the car is ready to show.
Hope this helps.

Country flag
I have the VTO retro 4 wheels in 14". I installed a 3/16" spacer behind them because I had rubbing on the spring clamps with 185/60R14 Dunlop tires.
The car rarely bottoms out, but when it does there are no signs of rubbing. My car is lowered and I did reduce the height of the bump stops by about 3/8".

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I do need to address the bump stops, they had been removed as well as their mounting plates, one of my next projects. So far only rub on the drivers side, but I assume that's because I am in it. The leafs are the S-bend so they clear will room to spare. Trevor Jessie, you have plenty of clearance at the fender with the tires?

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior

If you can live with the wheel sticking out a little, I would stiffen the sway bar more to prevent body roll. If you tuck the wheel in you’ll have to use offset rear springs to keep the side wall of tire rubbing the spring and inner finder.

Country flag
My car is probably not as low as yours. I'm on the bumpstop before the tire can rub. When I setup my sprite I was trying to balance handling with usability. (at the time my Midget was lowered so much that it was a pain to drive).

How much vertical clearance do you have between the tire and the fender lip? (How much can it travel before rubbing?)

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That's what I've been after....lower but still a driver. The car is about 11/4" inches lower than stock....just enough to have an even reveal of the tire in the wheel arches. So I don't scrape speed bumps or anything like that. I'll have to measure when I get off work to see if travel to rub would be mitigated by getting those bump stops and brackets welded back in.
BlueMax, agreed, my next toy is a stiffer front sway bar, and considering offset trunion bushings from Moss for a touch of negative camber.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Took a closer look at it today, is it possible that the rear end is not quite centered in the car? Looks like it may be off to the drivers side just enough to cause some rub. The rear end has the Speedwell adjustable trailing arms, unknown brand "S" shaped leafs.....

Country flag
panhard bar?

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Will that center the rear end? I just measured it and its offset to the drivers side 4-5mm.

Country flag
No it will not center it. But it could be causing it to be off center if installed wrong. You need to start measuring and comparing to find the difference. Probably the spring perches.

nomad

Yoda
My BE was a rust free Cali car and the spring perches were off from the factory. Don't remember just what I did but I did re position them to center the axle. Very little movement is needed to move the axle right or left.

Kurt

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
An adjustable Pan-hard would be perfect to center rear axle. Loosen the three spring mounts bolts on each side very slightly then make your adjustments, then re-tighten bolts.

Country flag
Alan,

A panhard bar should not be in compression or tension at ride height.
Additionally, there should be no lateral adjustment on the springs on a 1/4 elliptical car.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
That is correct but, if you have a miss alignment to your rear axle you have to bring everything back to center unless you have a spring box that is completely out of alignment. The adjustable bar enables you to do that as well. After you find your center tighten everything back at ride height with no tension on it.

nomad

Yoda
My experience with a Panhard bar has me convinced to go to a Watt's linkage next. It does go a great job of tightening up the tendency for the rear to slop about but seem's to restrict spring movement over uneven surfaces. I'm definitely not taking it off though. It has to make the axle move in an arc in compression and rebound.

Kurt.

Country flag
If one side is 5 mm out further than the other, then you are talking about 2.5 mm of misalignment. Probably just manufacturing tolerance of the day.