• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A wire wheel tire size & powder coating?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
What do you say here guys on tire size? Suggestions on where to source the inner rubber band? Is the inner rubber band needed as on MGB wire wheels - I'd think so since the principles are the same, no?

Any issue with powder coating the rims after the spokes have been checked?

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Interesting, this is one of the top projects on my list for 2010, new tires for the TR4A. Right now I am running 205/70-15s installed on 15x4.5 60 spoke wires. The tires probably timed out after 9 years and this is why I want to replace them. Even though I never had an issue with the 205's being too wide, most of my research indicated this width is too much for the 4.5 rim.

To maintain the stock diameter for speedometer accuracy, these combos are pretty good
165/80-15 (Kumho, Nexen and Vredestein, try easytire.com)
175/75-15 (cannot locate any in this size)
185/70-15 (this is my first choice in size and can only find the Vredestein)
195/65-15 (cannot locate any in this size)

I am pretty much decided to go with the 165's as replacements for a few reasons: best fit on 4.5" rim, cost, I am mostly a weekend cruiser not seeking max grip, curious to see if steering response is faster and car may be more "toss-able" with the narrower tires.

Yes you need the bands. Also, I have used Eastwood Detail Silver for wire wheels and it held up amazingly well. I plan to use it again. Re the powder coating, I recently read some posts here about the heat warping the wire wheels(?)

Lastly, I am considering a coat of Eastwood Diamond Clear (gloss or semi). I have heard this adds a level of protection. I also think it may make them a bit easier to clean as well as give them a little extra pop.

Let me try and figure out how to add a photo of my current wheels...

Happy New Year

Bob

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Let see if this worked:

Attachments

• 19652.jpg
    19652.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 851

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One more (now that I figured out how to add pictures!)

Attachments

• 19653.jpg
    19653.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 839

Twosheds

Darth Vader
tdskip said:
Suggestions on where to source the inner rubber band? Is the inner rubber band needed as on MGB wire wheels - I'd think so since the principles are the same, no?

British Wire Wheel says to use PVC tape instead of the band. It can be found at Home Depot or equivalent or from British Wire Wheel. Don't stretch it when you are installing it and cover the nipples with two layers.

Don'y use duct tape.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I had a 4A years ago, started out with a 195 on it, went to a 165/80. Liked driving the car MUCH better with the 165s, steering was lighter and the whole car just felt lighter and more responsive. Think you are headed in the right direction.

RJS, nice looking 4A, I had a '66 solid axle.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
I'm not a fan of powder coating since it is not easily repairable. That's just me. I prefer a properly applied urethane enamel like dupont imron. If i recall, someone had a mercedes code number for wheel paint colour that was very close.
Coatings on wire wheels need to be quite flexible since wire wheels flex a lot!
Rob

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Wasn't there a thread here a while back about powedercoating wire wheels where a couple of people reported having problems with it warping the rims due to the heat?

I believe that I had a Corvette silver that I used on mine but I can't seem to find the paint code.

Scott

dklawson

Yoda
As Scott said, there was a thread last fall talking about how to paint wire wheels and there were more stories of powder paint problems (warpage) than success. The most common recommendation in that thread were for the wheel paints sold by Eastwood.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
tdskip said:
...Here is the link... www.tires-easy.com

That's who I used for the 165/80s Nexens I mounted to wires. Totally satisfied with both the tire and the company. Just don't try www.tire-easy.com (singular tire) unless you habla Espanol.

Nexen.JPG

However, when I was about to order Bridgestones from them I also called my local Discount Tire for their 'cash & carry' price. Thet were happy to beat the online price. I felt better spending the $$$ locally, getting the tires immediately and in the unlikely event of a problem being able to resolve it face-to-face.

So you might find the tire & best price and then call your local Discount Tire shop to see what they can do.

<span style="font-style: italic">PS - In addition to the 165/80/15 brands mentioned, Discount Tire carries a house brand -- Arizonian -- that I have not used but know others who have and they thought it good.</span>

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm just curious; why is everyone so focused on maintaining speedometer accuracy? Seems like the tail wagging the dog, to me.

Personally, I love my 205/55 tires every time I pitch the car into a hard turn and _know_ it's going where I point it.

One of our local club members doesn't talk to me much any more. He has a <span style="font-weight: bold">very </span> correct TR3A, right down to the white white bias ply tires and fitted luggage. During a twisty mountain run a few years back, he complained that the leaders were going too fast ... my reply was that I felt it was so slow it was boring!

I suppose that's not quite true to the spirit of the car, but I do like it better without the "bumbling off backwards" part :laugh:

Unlikely Tractor

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Randall,
I would like to try a set of bias ply just for the experience (not enuff to buy them tho).
I drive in a spirited fashion and my almost normal width radials do a nice job of hangin in there and I do like the vintage look (i.e. skinny) of the 165/80 15's

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Randall - I hear where you are coming from. I have some meaty rubber on the TR6, and actually on the TR3 as well based on your input. In this case I'm looking for something closer to original just to have a different driving experience.

On a closed track a set of bias plys would be a hoot!

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
RJS's set up looks hot. Geo's painted not chrome wires are the look I love. I have experienced that tires make a HUGE driving difference on any car however budget put skinny Kumhos on the original wheels with probably over priced tubes and strips from big 3. Will never change from wires (I just can't) although given the cost of mounting, tubes, pita ect I would in retrospect just have waited for sale time and gotten new wires to start with. Oh, then splines and better skinny tires than the Kumhos. Oup's, budget. All that's really needed now are a couple of spokes. I am glad I didn't go crazy cleaning up the old wheels, some steel wool and caliper gray paint...fine for now.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
sail said:
...given the cost of mounting, tubes, pita ect..

FWIW, Harbor Freight sells a very inexpensive tire changer that I used for the last couple of sets I have bought. The high sidewalls of our tires make the R&R pretty easy. I was actually over-tooled with this set-up but I'm a bit old for sitting on the ground and wrassling with a couple of tire spoons.

HF%20Changer.JPG

Several ways to hold that stand in place including mounting to a sheet of plywood and, of course, just bolting it to the floor.

The HF bubble balancer was also successful in finishing the job -- I actually believe I can get a more consistent result than the tire-shop guys with the big equipment.