• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel Wells/Wheel & Tire Size

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
Hey Everyone,

The previous owner folded the fenders inwards about an inch around the wheel wells. Please check out my pictures so you have a better understanding what I'm dealing with.
https://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj192/charliestewart_photos/?albumview=slideshow

Would it make more sense to just replace the fenders, have a body guy work them back to the original shape, or tack in new metal?

Second question; (this may influence the first question) since the car is already modified (V-8 conversion), I want to go with a 'works' style, so I wanted a more aggressive stance. I noticed wire wheel suppliers offer a 15x6 inner laced wire wheel that gives a 3" wider stance. Has anyone gone this route? If so, would you mind sending pics? I personally don't care for skinny tires/wheels, but I don't want obnoxious rubber sticking out from the fenders. I'm okay with a modest flare to make it look right.

Thanks for any and all input!

Charlie

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Charlie,
Your shut lines look pretty good from what I can see in the photos. Personally, Iā€™d stick with the fenders you have because of that. If youā€™re going with tires thatā€™ll stick out, Iā€™d think about cutting that inner fold plus, and put in some new metal. Something else to consider, is going to a 16ā€ rim. I have 16x6ā€ rims with 205 60 16s Yokohamaā€™s that come very close to the original diameter of 26ā€ (they are 25.7ā€). I donā€™t feel that there is a right answer to this, itā€™s a matter of personal taste. Have fun!

P.S. I bought my rims through Hendrix Wire Wheels. I talked with Alan for a while about offsets and what would be best to get the wheel to fit the car. I voiced my concerns and let him make the expert choice. I wasnā€™t disappointed. :thumbsup:

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Charlie,
Check out forum member Tim Moran's NTAHC for some ideas. Whole lot of modified Healeys.
https://www.ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys/
As Greg said, personal choice.

New fenders would be the hardest to do. Most replacement fenders won't come close to fitting the car without major rework. Just the nature of these 'hand made" cars.
D

OP
ModifiedBJ7

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
Greg & Dave, thanks for the input!

I'll eliminate replacing fenders as an option. Felt that was going to be an extreme direction, but wanted some experience to back me up. I forgot to mention the current temporary wheels that made it a "roller" are 14". So, that along with the loss of 1" surrounding sheet metal magnifies the situation.

I still want the 'works' look, so I'm not sure a different size wheel other than a 15" will look right. I have spent weeks checking out images of race cars, and Work replicas to get a feel of what looks right (my taste). I have noticed center laced wheels that fill out the wheel well without protruding rubber. Not sure if they're 15x5.5 or 15x6. Since I don't see center lace available in 15x15.5, I have to assume they're 6". Greg- I'll call some of the wire wheel venders to hear what they say.

Dave, funny you referred me to Tim Moran. I recently joined the Nasty Boys-- since Tim lives a mere 5 miles away, he's coming by Tuesday to check out the car :thumbsup:

Charlie

jyjim

Freshman Member
I HAVE A FULL SET OF BEAUTIFUL FIBERGLASS FENDERS NIB. I DONT KNOW WHO MADE THEM BUT THERE PERFECT. I WANT TO KEEP THE FRONT FOR A ONE PIECE FRONT END PROJECT . THE REARS I'LL SELL I HAVE AMERICAN TORQUE THRUST STYLE WHEELS ON MY BJ8 I USED MODIFIED 84-89 300ZX TURBO FRONT HUBS THEY HAVE THE FORD 5X4.5 BOLT PATTERN THE HEALEY REAR IS GMC TRUCK/CADDY BOLT PATTERN. THEY LOOK GREAT. ...JYJIM...AT...COMCAST DOT COM

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Charlie,
What I did was research what kind of tire I wanted to use first. Width, diameter and side wall height. Then before buying them called Hendrix to see what was possible for that tire with the Healey. Turns out Dayton can make pretty much whatever you want. They mated a 16x6 rim to a Healey hub with heavy-duty stainless spokes. If you look at their catalog , they have a selection of lace patterns also. Since Hendrix didnā€™t carry the tire I wanted, I bought them through TireRack (a link is on this forum under ā€œSupporting Vendorsā€) and had them shipped directly to Hendrix for mounting, balancing, shaving and fine tuning the spokes.Here's a photo of what I wound up with.

Attachments

• 10209.jpg
    10209.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 275

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Charlie

Hot off the press, in this months Revcounter (AH magazine), Dennis Welch has developed a 6" wheel that does not need fender alterations they say. But that is on this side of the pond of course and costs to the US of A could be pricey.

Bob

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Charlie
I got 15x6 60 spoke Daytons front and rear with 205x15 front and 215x15 rear Pirelli P600's on my BN1 (narrow drums!), they stay inside the guards, except they will probably throw up dirt onto rear gaurds where the guards curve in, drives nice though, no tramlining, and steering isnt heavy, just got to watch tyre pressures!

OP
ModifiedBJ7

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
Would you mind sending pictures? I think you have may have the setup I've been looking for.

Charlie

OP
ModifiedBJ7

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
Bob,

I'll check the article out. With time someone will copy, or be an American distributor.

Thanks!!

Charlie

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bob Hughes said:
Charlie

Hot off the press, in this months Revcounter (AH magazine), Dennis Welch has developed a 6" wheel that does not need fender alterations they say. But that is on this side of the pond of course and costs to the US of A could be pricey.

Bob

<span style="text-decoration: underline">I think</span> you can drop the government sales tax (VAT?), or at least a portion of it if you're US buying from GB, that tends to help with the price.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here are a couple of pics, 195/205, not 205/215!

Attachments

• 10259.jpg
    10259.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 10260.jpg
    10260.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 149