• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cutting S.S. Braided Hoses

arbs_53

I'm gettng ready to install the oil cooler and I'm wondering what is the best way to cut the braided steel hoses? You see I have a thermostat that needs to be placed in line and I want to avoid shredding the end of the hoses. I'm sure a hacksaw would do a number on them and the snips I have (regular aviation snips, yellow handles) appear to be too small to make a clean cut. Also, how best to mount the thermostat to keep it from flopping around inside the engine compartment?

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Several things will work. Put on a tight wrap of duct tape & carefully saw through it with a fine tooth hacksaw. Same with large tin snips or a sheetmetal shear. Small cutoff wheel in a Dremel. It makes a nicer finished end to put a piece of shrink tubing over the cut end. Place it so that a small amount covers the shoulder. Ties the loose strands down.

Don't know about the thermostat.
D

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I use the reinforced packing tape. The kind with the nylon threads that run lengthwise. And then cut it with a chop saw with a big cut-off wheel style blade for cutting pipe.
Also, be sure to lube the hose when you assemble the ends. otherwise they're a pain.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

I've tried several things. Now I pretty much always start with a tight wrap of two layers of thin masking tape, then cut with a Dremel, using the larger, reinforced cutoff wheel. Leaving the masking tape in place, I always blow some compressed air through the freshly cut hose, to make sure no particles from the cutting are left inside.

It helps to leave one layer of the masking tape in on the hose while installing the collar. Some collars are a very, very tight fit, although larger hoses like AN10 or AN12 you are likely using for an oil cooler are often easier than smaller sizes.

It can also help push the collar onto the hose by seating it backwards in a deep well socket. This gives you something to grip or even tap with a rubber or plastic mallet, if necessary.

After the collar is started on about half way and with all the loose S/S wire ends now inside, I peel off the remaining layer of masking tape. Then press the collar the rest of the way on, until the hose is fully in contact with the ridge around the inside.

Now it's time to put the end on. Clamp the collar in a vise, and put a few drops of motor oil on the end. Start the end and tighten until it's fully against the collar.

That thermostat is a good idea to keep the oil from flowing through the cooler until after it's partially warmed up.

Very Important! Always wear eye protection when cutting that hose! It's common for little pieces of stainless steel wire to go flying and they could do serious damage to eyes!

Cheers!

Alan

Bugeye58

Yoda
Dave, if your oil thermostat is the kind that is bolted together, as mine is, you can make up a bracket using the bolts that hold the assembly together.
If it's not the modular type, you can use a large Adel clamp to attach it to a convenient mount point in the engine bay.
Jeff