• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General MG Which Pertronix? 45D with Red Points.

dklawson

Yoda
I have a generic, points type 45D distributor that uses the red points. I am considering changing to a Pertronix kit. I am seeing some partially conflicting information on which kit I need. This is not a late model 45DE or 45DM so I am comfortable saying my dizzy needs either the LU-143 or LU-144 Ignitor. The conflicts are that while the LU-143 says it is a replacement for the red points, it also says it is for the 43D distributor (without vacuum advance). The LU-144 says it is for the 45D4 distributor using the blue sliding points.

My gut tells me to focus on the points type as that will be more indicative that the kit will fit my distributor. I really cannot go by the 5 digit Lucas model number of my distributor since this is one of those generic "one size fits many" replacement distributors.

Your advice and suggestions are wanted and welcome.

Thanks,
Doug L.

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Doug- You didn't say why u wanted to try the pertronix, but let me tell u about my experience. i tried the replacement module in my old 45D,for a couple of years with no noticeable difference. The base of the dizzy had some of the metal chipped off where the holding clamp attaches so I just got tired of jacking with it. I stepped up and bought a new pertronix 45D replacement distributor. I also bought the Lucus high voltage coil, and opened the gaps on my spark plugs.
The difference was amazing---The car fires up instantly when u turn the key, but the driveabilty is awesome. You can corner in 3rd gear with out any lugging problems. I realize money is always a problem, but I promise you that this is money well spent.
Emmett

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am chasing a misfire problem that my son is experiencing with his Spitfire where I have installed a generic 45D in place of the original Delco distributor. The misfire seems to go away each time I work with the points. My anticipation is that fitting an Ignitor module would get rid of the problem regardless of whether it is associated with the points or condenser.

Personally I like points. Were I the one driving the car I would just work with the issue more until I fully identified the problem. Instead, I find myself on the phone or working on the car every few weeks when my son visits home.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Summit racing sells the Crane system. I don't like the Pertronix, not near as good as a Crane, but it is cheaper if that's worth anything. Crane makes different models and the one you want is the one to convert from points to electronic. JMHO. PJ

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
I used to have a Crane unit on our GT6. I washed the engine bay one day and water got into the remote amplifier module and damaged it. Since then I have stayed with Pertronix when I have installed electronic ignitions... except on my Mini which currently has a transplanted Nissan distributor.

I am still unclear which ignition kit is appropriate for a 45D distributor with points. I continue to feel the LU-143 is correct.