• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Problems fitting Pertronix Ignitor II into 45D CEI

Thor

Has anyone had trouble figuring out how to attach the Ignitor plate onto the distributor plate? I have been trying to figure out how as the directions are very unclear. I don't know if its me or the pertronix. I put an image of what I am seeing at : https://www.visn2.com/Pertronix%20Ignitor.html

If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks.

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Re: Problems fitting Pertronix Ignitor II into 45D

Is the 45D CEI a factory option I have never heard of? I ask, because I have heard of the 45D. I am thinking that somebody sent you the correct Pertronix for the very popular standard 45D dizzy and (obviously) your internals are quite different. If the CEI isn't a factory unit, then you definately have the Pertronix for the standard unit and you need to source the standard swash plate for the 45D to fit.

als

When I spoke to the Petronix folks a couple of months ago they advised me that there is no Ignitor II for the 45D, only the original Ignitor. If they told me the truth, then that may be your problem.

Regards
Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

Hi Thor,
There are so many different model numbers of distributors that it is sometimes hard to figure out what you have. I assume that you are referring to your 78 Midget.

You didn't give the complete distributor number or the Pertronix number that you have. Maybe some of your parts have been changed?

The Pertronix catalog shows a 45DM4 distributor for the 1977 to 1980 CEI ignition. It says that a "9LU147" Pertronix 2 should fit.

Also listed is a 45DE4 distributor for 1975 to 1976, which should use a Pertronix 2 "9LU141".

The catalog is here: https://pertronix.com/ptx2005_cat/ptx05_auto.pdf

Don't know if this helps or not?
D

OP
Thor

Thor

I assumed that I had the 45DE CEI since the amplifier is housed in a black box that is independently located off of the distributor. From my understanding where are 3 versions of the 45D distributor made:
1. The 45DM4 (stands for Mechanical) and had conventional with points & coil

2. The 45DE4 Opus which was the earliest attempt to go electronic. It had the amplifier attached to the distributor housing and was know to be very bad so they replaced it with

3. The 45DE CEI which located the electronics away from the housing in a small black box.

I got the Pertronix Ignitor II model # 9LU-141 which states its for the 45D CEI in the little british car co that I purchased it from.

I've asked them to also take a look at the images to see if they can help explain why I can't seem to match up the two. I am thinking I need a different Pertronix model.

The Pertronix Igintor II is available for the 45D but not for the 25D distributor models from I have seen.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

I had trouble with the LBCARCO Pertronix offering. Got one that didn't fit. They asked me to send a template of my breaker plate so that they could match it up. The return plate still didn't fit. I modified it to work. A couple of years later, when changing system polarity I sent them the same distributor model information & they sent a completely different module (same basic part # as before), only for negative ground, which DID fit. They apparently got things mixed up in the boxes or something the first time. I don't know if the Pertronix catalog info is more reliable or not. In any event, I got two completely different modules under the same basic part # at two different times. It may take several tries.
D

OP
Thor

Thor

Dave was right. The LBCARCO sent me the wrong one.

What pisses me off is they told me I had ordered the wrong one after several coorespondence back and forth and I almost accepted that it was my mistake but then I looked at the sales slip they sent me and it clearly stated the item number #9LU-141 was for the CEI so I truly think they had mislabeled the product.

And when I went back to their website and looked at the 9LU-141 it now clearly states for OPUS 45D. I know a few days ago it clearly stated it was for the CEI.

I don't mind mistakes but I do mind being told I made the mistake when it was clearly their's. I've liked their prices and they had seemed pretty responsive to questions, etc in the past. I will try to exchange this item and hopefully won't have more problems. Anyone thinking about using the company may want to think twice however as it sounds like others have had problems.