• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Report on Pertronix

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I thought I'd give a report for the record:

a) Moss sells the "Ignitor" I for a '66 TR4A. Not sure whether others here are using the Ignitor II, or what advantage it may have, other than protection from over-heating;

b) My instructions say nothing of over-heating as a possible issue while the ignition is left on prior to start, but I called Pertronix tech support who strongly advised that the ignition never be left on more than a few seconds before start, maybe 30 or so, but less if possible;

c) Installation was a cinch, maybe 30 minutes, and most of that was due to the new, tight rubber seal that Pertronix has on the shaft;

d) The car starts rights up, and runs very smoothly;

e) The problem I was having with an erratic idle are gone;

e) I have absolutely no pinging, and preignition was very slight after shutting down, but my rpms were a bit high, around 1250;

f) The timing mark on the pulley shows a fixed location during operation, right about my estimated 4BTDC, and is no longer bouncing around a few degrees in each direction;

g) The performance seems better, and I think I'm running a bit cooler, but I'll verify soon on that point;

h) I also installed a new fuel pump, but other than the improvement I'm seeing at idle, I doubt I'm confusing the benefits of the Pertronix distributor with better flow of fuel; and

i) Overall, the start up, smoothness of operation, and lack of pinging seem to be what I've heard all along Pertronix.

thx

dklawson

Yoda
Nutmeg, I didn't see where KVH said he changed the coil, just changing the distributor to one having the Pertronix Ignitor-I ignition module.

Just to be clear to those reading about Pertronix for the first time, the "overheating" mentioned above in KVH's item "b" above, is overheating of the ignition module, not the engine. If the distributor stops in the "right place", the module is on/conducting just like the points were closed. Unlike just heating up the ignition coil, sitting like this can allow the ignition module to overheat and fail. This is not the case with the later Ignitor-II kits.

I have heard different time figures quoted on the "on, not running" time for Ignitor-I. The time KVH was told of 30 seconds is the shortest I have heard of. Most people who have called tech support report being told times from 3 to 5 minutes.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I should clarify. I always had a Lucas Sports coil and I left it on the car. Resistance reading was 3.5, so that meets Pertronix standards. I guess I can't rule out my new fuel pump as the improvement at idle. I wasn't that methodical in my process here.

About the length of time before damage might occur, my discussion with Tech Support was a bit frustrating. I asked whether 3 minutes would be OK, and the response was that 3 minutes might be OK, but I was questioned pointedly about why it should take so long just to adjust the static timing. I explained the process of getting in and out of the car and setting the test light, etc., and the response was that 30 seconds ought to do it. So, three minutes might be fine, but there wasn't much sympathy for anyone wanting that much time to fiddle. It was clear no guarantees were being made. Since then I concluded the entire topic was irrelevant. Moss recommends use of a timing light with Pertronix in any event, and all I intend to focus on is not leaving the key on--ever. My main thought at the time was that an errant memory lapse could be quite problematic if you were out in the woods somewhere. I'll probably carry a spare distributor and points. Time will tell if I'm glad I went with an electronic setup.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I intend to focus on is not leaving the key on--ever. GREAT! That will keep you :cool:

dklawson

Yoda
My approach to handling the 3 minute rule is to unplug the Pertronix red wire before switching on the ignition. When I am ready to set the static timing, I connect the red wire to coil (+), set the timing, then unplug the red wire again. This allows you all the time you need. You will be working under the bonnet anyway so connecting and disconnecting the red wire is not an inconvenience.

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've had a pertronix I installed for over 8 years. Installed to resolve issues with excessive play in distributor shaft. Similar experiences to OP. I think its been a great improvement in start, idle and general running.

Careful not to leave igjition on more than 30 secs without engine running.

Bob