• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A Victory to report over those bastard Rear Drum Circlips for Bugsy IV/Hub rubbing

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I've been dreading installing rear brake circlips to the point where I ordered a CirClip Install tool from Spridget Mania. Well it was not in the mailbox today so I said WTH let me try it anyway without the fancy tool. Took my Wheel Cylinder to True Value and matched up the CirClip that comes with the Wheel Cylinder to one a little thinner but still 5/8" ID. Same as the bastard clip that came with the wheel cylinder. I made a gasket out of gasket material. That $5 leather punch kit from Michaels or Hobby Lobby came in handy once again. Gasket provided additional space taken up so the Wheel Cylinder fit just right. Cleaned out the hole for the roll pin, and turned upside down on my workbench with wheel cylinder and gasket in place pushed up against the base of my bench vise. I added a small piece of scrap wood to make the assembly level. Then with my BF Screw driver pushing exactly in the center of the E and another screwdriver holding things down I started pushing. Lo and behold the E Clip Spread, rode right into the slots on the wheel cylinder and seated itself with all three tangs in place and aligned correctly and securely in the grooves. Voila. I learned that I needed to trim a hair off of the back of the Circlip so I did not hold the hub proud and things were sitting flat

Horray a victory over those bastards and I was really feeling chuffed. However as I went to tighten down the hubs I discovered that on one side the back of the wheel studs are rubbing on the Wheel Cylinder. WTH????? So I took a little edge off of the back of the wheel stud and that seemed to help but WTH is it rubbing. Not rubbing on the other side. Could I have a bent backing plate. That's about all I can figure. Between relieving the back of the wheel cylinder a smidgen and the same on the back of the wheel hub I can probably fix. But does anyone have a right side later backing plate kicking around their garage. Just in case the issue is the backing plate. Thanks.

got it in o

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Is backing plate firmly up against the axle.
Clearance between the cylinder rubber boot and studs is very close.
Anything pushing the plate or the cylinder out board may cause the studs to rub on the hub.
Where did you add this "gasket" you made. Between the cylinder and the plate??

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yes between the gasket and plate. Without the gasket wheel Cylinder moves around. Since the Spridgetmania video on rebuilding the rear end discusses use of gasket I made one. Helps to stabilize the wheel cylinder. Much tighter fit. I've got a right rear backing plate being shipped to me on Monday.
we are backing plate coming from

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Found a source for a backing plate. Will see if that fixes the issue.