• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1000 mile report

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I passed 1000 miles on the new motor this past weekend. In general, things are running well. Had the engine up to about 5500 RPM (Hap tells me it will safely pull above 6000 RPM) and it is pulling strong and sweet up there.

Here's our status to date:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Still chasing an oil leak from the RH side of the motor. One possible source is the base of the dipstick tube (the plastic bit). This seems a bit loose. May also be coming from the timing cover. Hard to tell, will start with the dipstick area first as I can get to it.[*]Engine temps in general hold okay, but on the long pulls things do start to rise. On a slower, steeper bit I'm getting quicker rising temps (no boil-over yet, but I've had to turn around in one spot). This will need some looking into.[*]Need to do a full tuneup again. Running a bit rich, and having some trouble keeping an idle once everything is good and warm.[*]I'm not real happy with my exhaust, but that's my fault. I used what I had on hand to get the car registered. It needs to be opened up a bit (it's 1.5" pipe to a muffler I had on hand. Will probably go up to 1.75" and a better muffler, maybe a Harley one -- need to chat with Hap at some point). It works okay, but I think it's not quite what the engine and header want.[/list]
Overall, it's been a fun 1000 miles. The new motor seems a good match for the 3.9 gears. From 3500 RPM to 5500 RPM is a fun place to be.
grin.gif

Tunebug seems quite happy to cruise at 4000 RPM or so all day. Very smooth in that range. Still, a 5-speed will be in order some day (I have one in my shed). We've got great roads here, but also long freeways.

Country flag
Did you install a new radiator? How hot did the engine get before you turned around?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Radiator was recored before the engine build, I think just as stock. Engine got to just about 200 (and climbing quickly) when I turned around. Didn't seem like it was going to level off at all.

Country flag
I would have kept going. When I press mine hard it'll hit 215, but not get any hotter. But it takes a really hot day and loooong hill in fourth gear at high speed to get that hot. On the interstate at high speed on a hot day it will sit at 190-195 and I'm fine with that. On an average day at normal speeds it will be 185.

If it boils over at 212 then you need to look at your radiator cap.

G

Harley muffler is only 1.5" so it would be a waste to put a 1.75" pipe on and a Harley muffler.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
kellysguy said:
Harley muffler is only 1.5" so it would be a waste to put a 1.75" pipe on and a Harley muffler.
Thanks, good to know.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
Wow Drew - 1000 miles already. I need to check in here more often and stay current!
I've been busy, Tom. Now how's that Bugeye of yours coming along?
grin.gif

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Drew, to further Trevor's idea, Magnaflow also makes a nice SS round one with 2" in/out which is the smallest I could find in the round style. I think I got it and a nice simple SS tip (flowmaster to mix it up :smile: ) for $90.. Still need to mount it. I figure I'll just have them step up the 1-3/4" a bit.
It's sitting in the storage unit waiting for me to get this dang car painted!

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
drooartz said:
I passed 1000 miles on the new motor this past weekend. In general, things are running well. Had the engine up to about 5500 RPM (Hap tells me it will safely pull above 6000 RPM) and it is pulling strong and sweet up there.
<snip>
[/list]
Overall, it's been a fun 1000 miles. The new motor seems a good match for the 3.9 gears. From 3500 RPM to 5500 RPM is a fun place to be.
grin.gif

I'd bet that puppy gives a surge of power after 5K.
I like slinging the needle past the factory redline.
Man o man I love to hear a tweaked A series windup.
Far cry from stock 948, eh?

Jedi Trainee
64rocksprite said:
Drew, to further Trevor's idea, Magnaflow also makes a nice SS round one with 2" in/out which is the smallest I could find in the round style. I think I got it and a nice simple SS tip (flowmaster to mix it up :smile: ) for $90.. Still need to mount it. I figure I'll just have them step up the 1-3/4" a bit.
It's sitting in the storage unit waiting for me to get this dang car painted!

NAPA has P/N 17702 for <$30 and it will fit.

Quiet rumble and big enough for a 1275. MINI's love them!

Steve

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
+1 on the MagnaFlow.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Trevor Jessie said:
If it boils over at 212 then you need to look at your radiator cap.
I'm going to replace the cap anyways, as it's what was on there when I got the car and I don't really know it's condition.

Gundy said:
I'd bet that puppy gives a surge of power after 5K.
I like slinging the needle past the factory redline.
Man o man I love to hear a tweaked A series windup.
Far cry from stock 948, eh?
No comparison. When I was breaking the engine in (light foot, keeping it to 3500 or less) I *still* had more power than my old tired 948.

Once I've got the motor warmed up, I love a chance to go up through the gears. Woohoo!

Country flag
#17702, I think that is the walker/dynomax muffler that I have on my car. The offset causes a problem with the way I have my pipe run. It ends up right below the bumperette.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the exhaust/muffler ideas and info.

I need to have a chat with Hap at some point about the exhaust. It's not a huge deal right now, so I'm content to keep driving. Mostly I need to do a better tune-up and make sure everything is functioning as it should.