• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thoughts on surviving a 600 mile fast road rally

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - will get some pictures up soon but in spirit of passing along unsolicited but potentially helpful/interesting tidbits I thought I'd post the following.

These are based on my '74 TR6 with a stock motor, but pretty much everything else has been rebuilt or tweaked as far as running gear and suspension.

When I say fast road, I mean <span style="text-decoration: underline">fast</span> road. We were careful, but I'm talking really motoring here. We had some closed road sections were we got into four wheel drifts.

1) Negative chamber on the rear wheels is your friend, and too much is about right

I found Richard Goods adjustable camber kit to be really helpful here, getting the camber right really allows the car to take a set, generate good lateral forces and take a very controllable set

2) The Toyota from brake conversion is really nice when you are really motoring

I drove my car back-to-back with a stock caliper TR6 and the Toyota brakes make an important difference

3) The uprated rear brake cylinders work nicely with the Toyota calipers

I didn't have any brake balance issues and the brakes pull up in a balanced way. Never encountered any fade either, but then again I was trying to carry a lot of momentum through the turns.

4) Poly bushings are the only way to fly - enough said

5) Having an overdrive and switch at finger reach from the wheel is AWESOME.

The ability to pop in/out of overdrive when moving is great, crazy helpful actually. Wonder why it the rest of the industry 40 years to introduce shift paddles on the steering wheel.

6) Lowering the front suspension makes a big different on how she turns in

But don't go crazy, mine is too low and I get tire rub on the driver side fender when I load her up in a turn and then further compress the suspension via a bump. if you like smelling burning tire from time to time then by all means, but be aware you'll burn the paint off the outer fender lip. I'm just saying... :laugh:

7) Richard Goods springs are still for daily driving, but work great when really moving along

I wouldn't do this if you just casually or are more cruising oriented (which is all good stuff mind you), but if you like to push these indispensable in my opinion.

8) If you haven't sent your distributor to Jeff at Advanced you really should consider it

9) If you have limited funds the age old advice to focus on the suspension and brakes rather than hopping-up the engine is excellent advice.

I was able to run with cars with much more motor / were much lighter by carrying lots of momentum through the turns.My engine is stock, healthy but has lots of miles on her. Using momentum and then tapping into her torque works really well.

Anyway, I made a leap of faith when I went this way with my TR6 build and fortunatley the coaching that a lot of you provided all came together. So thanks, and I hope this helps someone else who is thinking about how to build up their car.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom,

Thanks for sharing.Where'd you go?Any pictures?
It's nice to hear feedback on driving & how the car
was set up.
Now you can go start on an Alfa!

- Doug

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
Tom,

Thanks for sharing.Where'd you go?Any pictures?
It's nice to hear feedback on driving & how the car
was set up.
Now you can go start on an Alfa!

- Doug

Ha! So did you see this already?

https://bringatrailer.com/2010/10/11/idah...#comment-180897

5113124_31V0PVQ9B.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom,

I almost bid on it.Those are so cool!
Try uship,or autotransport@yahoo groups
for shipping.

- Doug

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Skip,

Sounds like my car, cept for the tire rub :laugh: Fun to drive eh?

Cheers,
Tush

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Nice to see a MkIII Spitfire in the group!

Scott

bw_mkiii

Freshman Member
Nice pics Tom!

That's my Spitfire in the pictures - I can vouch for the aggressive nature of Tom's driving. Those guys were passing me early and often!

I suppose I should mosey over to the "introduce yourself" area but in the meantime, I've got the pictured Metallic Pickle Green (tm) 1969 Spitfire, which I've had for about four years. It is basically stock - some fiddling with the front springs, a Pertronix kit and coil, and a rear camber compensator being the only real upgrades. This weekend was my first serious trip in it, and I was well pleased with how she ran.

So far so good!

Brad

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Tom
Thanks for the great narrative, pics, and tips. I can't wait to drive with you guys! The four-wheel slide sounds a bit intimidating though. I've swapped ends more than once in a TR3.

Pat

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
Tom,

Thanks for sharing.Where'd you go?
Yeah, I'm interested to know as well. It'd be fun to join up with you guys!

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
bw_mkiii said:
Nice pics Tom!

That's my Spitfire in the pictures - I can vouch for the aggressive nature of Tom's driving. Those guys were passing me early and often!

I suppose I should mosey over to the "introduce yourself" area but in the meantime, I've got the pictured Metallic Pickle Green (tm) 1969 Spitfire, which I've had for about four years. It is basically stock - some fiddling with the front springs, a Pertronix kit and coil, and a rear camber compensator being the only real upgrades. This weekend was my first serious trip in it, and I was well pleased with how she ran.

So far so good!

Brad

Don't let Brad fool you, he's was able to hang in there just fine!

Brad's a great guys folks, we're luck to have him join us here.

And yes, those pictures I posted are from Brad. And since he is being camera shy....

takingabreak.jpg

bradandmilos.jpg

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
John_Mc said:
AngliaGT said:
Tom,

Thanks for sharing.Where'd you go?
Yeah, I'm interested to know as well. It'd be fun to join up with you guys!

You bet! This one was SoCal oriented but there are several in the spring that are NorCal based. I'll keep you and Pat in the loop as then events get scheduled.

No four wheel drifting required :laugh:

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
tdskip said:
bw_mkiii said:
Nice pics Tom!

So far so good!

Brad

Don't let Brad fool you, he's was able to hang in there just fine!

Brad's a great guys folks, we're luck to have him join us here.

And yes, those pictures I posted are from Brad. And since he is being camera shy....

takingabreak.jpg

bradandmilos.jpg

<Puts on sunglasses>
Surprising how much one has to modify an MG to keep up with a basically stock Triumph :banana:

bw_mkiii

Freshman Member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]

<Puts on sunglasses>
Surprising how much one has to modify an MG to keep up with a basically stock Triumph :banana: [/QUOTE]

That's not the half of it. That Midget was dead on the side of the road until I gave him some gas!!! :cowboy:

(Thing has a rotary engine in it and can FLY. He was "having so much fun he forgot to stop for gas.")

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, we had two Midgets with rotary engines in them. The one above was really built out, totally custom suspension and drive train. Fast and fun. owner is a good guy and lots of fun as well. Lives in Tustin as well Rich, we should bate him into running Ortega with us.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tdskip said:
Yeah, we had two Midgets with rotary engines in them. The one above was really built out, totally custom suspension and drive train. Fast and fun. owner is a good guy and lots of fun as well. Lives in Tustin as well Rich, we should bate him into running Ortega with us.
...and it looks cool!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good stuff!!!

....I'm still pining over th' Alfa... :crazyeyes: