• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thoughts on car lifts ?

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I'm just starting research on lifts and wondered what you are using and if you are happy. Do I need special footings in the floor? Or just std. reinforced 4" concrete? I'm thinking two post above ground with overhead support vs. floor. thx.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
A 4 post lift can set safely on a reinforced 4" concrete slab and if using a 2 post lift, I would suggest a thicker slab or a reinforced footing. JMHO. PJ

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Mine is a two post with a 14 inch square footprint. I have a full 4 inches of concrete under it and no cracks in 5 years. I did put cables from the top to the beams of the roof for extra stability. I only once put my truck on the rack. It is a bit long, but not over the weight limit of the lift. I did only raise the truck two feet off the ground. I think more concrete would be better but mine works.
My lift is 11"10" because I was worried about it fitting in the garage. Turns out I could have squeezed another 2 inches if the install was done properly. Another two inches in height would have been nice for walking underneath if you are over 6 foot tall.
Jerry

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Both Direct Lift and Bendpak list minimum thickness as 4 inches of 3000psi concrete for up to 10,000lb. capacity 2 post lifts.
While I have the 4 post Direct Lift Pro 9 w/two rolling jacks and not a two post, I can say the fit and finish of Direct Lift products is really nice. Now having said that, I think if I were shopping 2 post, I'd look closely into the Bendpak 10A (https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/two-post-lifts/xpr-10a.aspx). It does double duty as an asymmetrical or symmetrical lift. I also like the 30 degree angled posts.
I'd also recommend only considering ALI certified lifts. Just adds a measure of confidence (in that the lift meets a recognized standard).

richardjbondy

Freshman Member
Over one year ago I switched 4 post lifts lifts and now have a Direct Lift Pro Park 9 Plus, model PP9PY11. The main advantage is over 9 feet between the posts and 84 inches of lift. You can park your trailer, boat, or SUV in the lower position easily! Drive in and out with lots of room. 9,000 pound capacity and weighs twice as much as my previous lift. It is priced more than others and is well worth it. It came with a jacking bridge, drip trays, and wheels to move it around the shop. It is manufactured by Rotary Lifts.

OP
Brinkerhoff

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I'm hearing good things about some of the name brands mentioned, thanks. We are planning to pour a thicker footing than 4" where the posts go even though I've heard 4" w/ reinforcement if ok from the sales people. The asymmetric arms look like the way to go also or am I missing something? I can't see raising anything heavier than 4,000 lbs. on it and would think its great to reassemble a full restoration on.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just picked up a 110 volt lift from a buddy who needed space in his garage, got it for dirt cheap and it should do the job nicely once I clean it up good...

Country flag
After what seems like forever we are finally building a new garage - 28 x 21 with 11 foot walls. :banana::arms::banana::arms: Going to be installing a lift. Any recommendations on where to order from, or not order from? Based on previous recommendations, I'll get either a Direct Lift or Bendpak lift.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
After what seems like forever we are finally building a new garage - 28 x 21 with 11 foot walls. Going to be installing a lift. Any recommendations on where to order from, or not order from? Based on previous recommendations, I'll get either a Direct Lift or Bendpak lift.
Congratulations on the new garage Peter. You'll enjoy the heck out of it and from personal experience, know that there's a very good chance you'll be saying "I should have done this earlier".
My lift buying experience was just what anyone would want it to be...smooth and no problems. My suggestion would be to first approach either of the companies direct. Get your questions answered about the product you're interested and have them direct you to the distributor closest to you. The shorter time and distance the common carrier has to handle the product I think will lessen the chances of damages (which would likely be of the cosmetic type, but would still be disappointing). A good friend has just ordered a Benpak mid-rise lift this way (it arrives in two weeks) and says he is so far really happy with the buying experience. Good luck with your garage adventure. Think you'll enjoy every minute of it.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Usually I hear people saying "I should have made it bigger" "it would have been so easy to add 2' of width or depth when I built it, why didn't I?". I built a 14' x 18" extension on the back of my two stall garage, did not have room to go much wider, but I could have gone deeper and really wish I had. I can go three deep with the Triumph, 924, and the wife's Fit, but they are literally bumper to bumper and I can only get around on one end.

It may seem big at first, but as you accumulate cars and stuff the space shrinks.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Usually I hear people saying "I should have made it bigger" "it would have been so easy to add 2' of width or depth when I built it, why didn't I?". I built a 14' x 18" extension on the back of my two stall garage, did not have room to go much wider, but I could have gone deeper and really wish I had. I can go three deep with the Triumph, 924, and the wife's Fit, but they are literally bumper to bumper and I can only get around on one end.

It may seem big at first, but as you accumulate cars and stuff the space shrinks.
Yup, should have. I am trying to get the new garage finished and have car projects already going on inside. A lift was only fleetingly considered and the 2 foot foundation wall turned out to be two feet on the outside grade but only one foot inside. (1st mistake: should have made it 4ft.) That give a ceiling height of just under 9ft.
After 55 years or so of working on cars without a lift, I never thought I'd need one nor could afford one. However, at my age, a lift would be Nirvana. My advice: build it big enough for a lift, even if you don't plan on one.
I'm giving some thought to putting one outside, next to the building. Fair weather thing, I know, but I'm away during our New England winter.
The other option is to have one inside, crouching or sitting underneath. Beats the creeper? Also think I could stack, albeit with a bit of grease, two LBCs in the space for storage.
Tom 3.jpg

Country flag
We went as big as the city - Chicago - will allow - 28 x 21 with 11 ft. walls. Going to have 1 9 x 9 door and one 16 x 9 door. The 9 x 9 door is where the lift will be and the roof will be modified so that there are no obstructions above the lift space. The door will follow the roof line as well. As long as the weather cooperates, walls, etc. could go up as early as Wednesday. I have to say it has felt a bit strange to be watering concrete but that's what the cement guy said we needed to do if the temp got above 85 degrees - we had a couple of days in the 90's.