• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Targa Newfoundland Report Please?

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Looks like Michael Oritt is back. May we have a report on navigating in the Targa Newfoundland please?

My friend navigated in this event twice, both DNFs, different cars, drivers, even class. Once upside-down in a ditch.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
John and all--

We travelled approximately 2500 kilometers over five days in Michael Salter's rallye-prepared Healey 100 from St. John's on the east coast to Gander in the north to Marystown in the south, then back to St. John's.

Between transits to get us from place to place (stage to stage) at legal speeds on larger roads (for Newfoundland at least) we drove about 500 kilometers on Targa "stages" routed over narrow, bumpy and twisty roads with lots of blind crests, big potholes and off-camber turns. Public access to these roads was closed during the stages and average speeds on them was usually around 65-70 mph. Of course in order to average that when you are negotiating many tight, slow turns you need to go as fast as you can at all times and "cleaning" all the stages is a feat that few cars achieved (we did most but missed a few).

My job as navigator was to call out upcoming turns and road details to the driver in a succinct manner so as to give him a clear mental picture of what was coming up. As an example, if we were approaching an intersection at which we were to turn 90 degrees to the left I would begin calling it out at around 400 meters saying something like "In 400 left 3 at junction", then count down to 300, then 200, then 100", taking my information out of the routebook and off the cumulative distance display of the Brantz rallye instrument which was tied into the speedo cable. If there were comments in the book regarding significant road features I would add them as well such as: "Don't cut (corner)" or "Danger--Off camber" or sometimes just "WATCH OUT FOR THAT HOUSE!"

The Targa stages in built-up areas were lined with people just as you see on the You-tube clips of European rallyes, and in fact the local schools were closed and kids were everywhere, waving and yelling as we screamed by at speed. Stages would often terminate in small seaside towns where the local church ladies would have lunches prepared for us. Given that there were about 500 people in the entire entourage we often doubled the population of some of these hamlets. The people were helpful and friendly to the extreme though the accents were sometimes daunting.

We had our share of mechanical problems including a broken half shaft and bent axle housing (perhaps caused by a small off-road departure on the first day) but we persevered and thanks to a tough car and good crew we finished the event.

To me this kind of rallying is infinitely more challenging than circuit racing as there is little or no room for error and since every road is a case of first impression the learning curve is simply vertical. We wore firesuits and harnesses all the time every day and had our helmets on during all stages--this was a demanding event both physically and mentally. I would do it again in a minute (and hope to)!

Feature articles on the Salter/Oritt Targa Newfoundland experience written from both sides of the cockpit will appear in future issues of both "Healey Marque" (AHCA) and "Austin-Healey" (AHCUSA)magazines so in a few months watch the mailbox for your copy or steal one from an Austin-Healey friend.

OP
Twosheds

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Sounds like great fun, Michael. Thanks for the report.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I saw that on the Speed Channel a few years back.
I want to run it someday!

- Doug

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Great job and great report!
I am British Racing Green with envy!
Looking forward to reading the magazine article(s). Especially about your "creative" bending fixture to straighten the rear axle housing.

I will be at the Watkins Glen weekend with VRG (Fri and Sat, Oct 19-20) and the EMRA date that follows (Sunday, Oct 21)
I would also like to be at their Novenmber Turkey event at Summit, but it follows our EMRA 4-Hour by a week (also at Summit) and I may not be able to break away....it'll depend on cosmic variables not yet in full alignment.
You going to either of those?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hi Nial--

I'm going to VIR next weekend and either the VSCCA event at Lime Rock on 10/5&6 or the VRG event at WG but not both. I will definitely be at the Turkey Bowl--in any case hope to see you.

OP
Twosheds

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Michael Oritt said:
Feature articles on the Salter/Oritt Targa Newfoundland experience written from both sides of the cockpit will appear in future issues of both "Healey Marque" (AHCA) and "Austin-Healey" (AHCUSA)magazines so in a few months watch the mailbox for your copy or steal one from an Austin-Healey friend.

How can someone who has no Austin-Healey friend get one of these magazines?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
John--

I don't live too far from you and am pretty friendly so your problem is solved!

OP
Twosheds

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Turkey Bowl?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I will be there but the articles will probably not appear until after the first of the year.