• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Fuel Tank-Fuel Line Question

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm replacing the rear fuel line section on a late TR3A. In replacing the fitting at the bottom of the tank I notice that the fuel line can be pushed up into the tank. Should I be putting a 1/2" or so of pipe up into the tank or just terminate it at the fitting?
John

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If it extends into the tank, you'll decrease the effective capacity of the tank. No big deal, but I know I would eventually run out of gas and feel like an idiot for making that last pint or two unusable (on top of running out of gas in the first place
grin.gif
). So I would only push it far enough to extend slightly beyond the compression ferrule, but still below the floor of the tank.

PeterK

Yoda
OTOH, if you push up the line just a hair above the floor of the tank, it might prevent any silt or debris from falling down into the fuel line. I guess that's what filters are for but mine is as above.

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I had a tank obstruction in my line, allowing a small amount of fuel to pass.
This drove me crazy. Sometimes it ran great, sometimes it would barely run.
After replacing the fuel pump, readjusting the float levels,insulating the fuel lines, changing fuel filter, ect.,I finally removed the line at the shut off valve, and noticed the severly reduced flow. I blew air in the line and presto fuel flow returned.

I raised the level of the pickup line about 3/8" above the bottom of the tank and no more problems, although I wish I'd put a screen on the end of the pickup.
Emmett

OP
JohnnyMead

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yes, I was thinking about keeping debris in the tank bottom from getting into the fuel line. my tank is very clean, but it is incredible what I can drop in a place that I can't reach.
John

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
John, I think that is one of, or a corollary to, Murphy's Law. The LBC version that is.

Tinkerman

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
JohnnyMead said:
Yes, I was thinking about keeping debris in the tank bottom from getting into the fuel line. my tank is very clean, but it is incredible what I can drop in a place that I can't reach.
John
Sadly, John, it's not just what YOU might accidentally drop in there, but what some others might intentionally drop in there. :madder:

Many, many years ago, I fussed with someone's TR6 for quite awhile before discovering the wadded up gum wrapper foil in the gas tank. Occasionally, it would block off the fuel outlet. Ultimately, we had to pull the tank to get it out.

At a major car club convention show, someone apparently was "kind" enough to stuff an entire dish rag down the filler neck of our Spitfire 4 autocrosser. At the time, the joke was on them, as it floated around harmlessly...for several years, until it finally started to disintegrate completely. At that point, little bits began to find their way through the fuel system. Very annoying, and very time-consuming to ultimately rectify!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Seems to me that the sloshing around as you drive is going to wash any silt or debris over the top of the pipe, no matter how high it is. But I guess it might help.

Took a look at the sediment bowl on my TR3 this morning ... Yep, there are big flakes of paint floating around in it, from where the paint shop neglected to mask off the tank opening. So I finally broke down and added a paper element type filter between the pump & carbs; at least until the tank is cleaned up.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
After my dreadful experience with a leaf in my tank for 14 YEARS!!! I suggest that the tube go up 1/2 inch and have some groves cut into the end so a blockage is not a road stop.......I can see no way to put on a screen(better) It needs to go up enough to be just above level with the bottom of the tank...
MD(mad dog)