• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A - Fuel Tank/Boot Fiberboad Panel

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
I just spoke to TRF about getting one of these fiberboard panels. They list two types, one for early (pre TS60000) cars and one for later cars. However the sales person couldn't describe the difference. I wasn't aware that there was more than one design for this very basic panel. Moss only list one for all sidescreen TR's, but I'm not sure it is available. Can someone verify this difference or if you got one recently, who supplied it?

I may need a full size pattern. Any volunteers?

Thanks

Attachments

• 17157.jpg
    17157.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 220

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Frank-

I wasn't aware of any differences either, but perhaps this is due to the change for post-60K cars where the tire storage height was increased - I wonder if this impacted the position of the trunk floor. Just a thought.

Randy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I obtained one from Moss for my TS47xxx TR3A and had to trim it a bit at each of the top corners, perhaps this is why.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
The most obvious difference at the 60K change was that the later panels have a curved cutout at the bottom. I think the sides were reshaped somewhat as well.

But I don't understand the "two types" comment, since there are five types described at
https://www.zeni.net/trf/miniTR2TR3/index.php?zoom=1&menu=&page=46
3 of which are for TR3A. There is also a smallish drawing of the post-60K type panel.

TS39781LO has an original example of the wood+metal type ("58 TR3A", before the 60K change), which should still be in good enough condition to use as a pattern. Let me know if you are interested. But if proper panels are hard to find, I may want it back to use with TS13571L. Nice thing about that metal section; metal doesn't warp or dissolve when it gets wet.

Randall, first of all many thanks for the offer. Actually the panel I need is not the one in the cockpit, its the one on the other side of the fuel tank, inside the boot. This has been described as made of "mill board" and was painted to match body color on earlier cars, but black on later ones.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oops! My apologies, Frank, I misunderstood. My fault entirely.

Sorry, I don't have any of those for a pattern. As you probably know, the factory parts catalog lists three different styles; painted ones to 22013, then two different types of black only. My copy doesn't give the second change point, but no doubt it's at TS60000.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Update: Moss had one. $54. ouch! for a piece of cardboard? I'm going to make a full size template for future use.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I still have a piece of my original back panel from TS 27489 LO. It is black with a rather deep textured finish in the masonite. The textured side is where you would normally find a smooth finish on a normal piece of masonite. It is about 1/4" thick (or maybe i bit more) and it is very very rigid.

The replacement I bought in 1989 during my restoraition is made of cardboard and is about 1/8" thick. It is black and has a very fine texture compared to the original one. Because it is so thin, it has bowed along the center towards the gas tank because I store the bag with my sidecurtains in the "boot" and it bumps or leans a bit into the repro panel. I wanted to buy a newer one a few years ago and TRF said they had none, but were looking for a new sub-supplier to make them.

When we did the post TS 60000 TR3A, I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of masonite and used mine as a pettern We had to put the holes in it for the retaining screws and we had to trim it along the bottom till we got it to fit. Then we painted it black.

I know a TR owner with a red TR3A from Maryland and he cut a sheet of aluminium about 1/4" thick to match the shape of his old panel and then he covered it with black vinyl with the right textured finish. He glued it on and folded the edges around. I looks great and the TRA and VTR judges also thought so because he won his class several times and took best of show as well.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Angle i have an original at home somewhere and when i get home i will take a picture. I am vacationing in Thailand right now but should be home on 5th.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I re-checked the panels I wrote about earlier. The original masonite one measures 1/8" thick but it is very stiff. The repro one I bought in 1989 made of cardboard is much thinner and is not a stiff, therefore it has developed a "bow" in it.