• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

timing cover

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Will the timing cover from a 1275 fit on a 948? I'd like to change mine to the style with the oil-catch-can on it.

$T2eC16ZHJGEFFm+e7JHmBR8eeiGLu!~~60_57.JPG

Country flag
I want to say yes, but I've not personally made the swap... better wait on a definitive answer.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Yes they will, if your engine number is from 9C-H37647. Gasket are the same but the front seal maybe different!

Yes, it will fit. You can also incorporate other 1275 items onto the 948 if you like, harmonic balancer, duplex timing chain and gear set up. The 1275 had to come up with another source to breath the crankcase, because they no longer had lifter covers, so hence the can on the timing cover. The got away from the felt seal with the 1098, those cover the rubber seal goes in from the front, where with the 1275, the seal goes in form the inside of the cover, I always use the 1098 front timing cover on the 948s, I get the good seal, but no one can tell that I don't have the original timing cover on.

The deal with the seal, as most of you know, it fits around the OD of the snout on the harmonic balancer, or front pulley, that size never changed in the entire production of run of A series RWD engines, so it's all interchangeable.

David this might be a wonderful time to make top timing pointer for your engine.

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Hap. And yes, timing pointer is on the list.

Is a harmonic balance worth it for a stick 948? I'm really trying not to invest anything in this engine since it will eventually be replaced, but if I get a good one, it could go to the new engine as well.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Speaking of interchanges... For those of us that a have several engines torn down with parts sitting in piles... The oil pans ARE NOT interchangeable even though they sort of look the same...Made the mistake once... The oil leak I couldn't fix...daa

Speaking of interchanges... For those of us that a have several engines torn down with parts sitting in piles... The oil pans ARE NOT interchangeable even though they sort of look the same...Made the mistake once... The oil leak I couldn't fix...daa

The A series engines over the years evolved, making the oil pans not interchangeable, one factor being the 10CC 1098 and 1275 have larger mains than small journal 1098, or 1275, but even then the 10cc 1098 and 1275 oil pans don't exchange. Another thing is oil dipstick, the 948, had no stop on it, and and design to sit on hump in the oil pan, where the 1275 has a stop on it, so the level would read drastically low in 1275 if you tried to use a 948 oil dipstick. There are some items like the ones I listed above that do interchange, but a slew of other that do not.

David, to answer your question on a harmonic balancer on a 948, I think a long time A series friend sums this up well, "they added them to the later engines for reason", in short a harmonic balancer can always help, it is totally necessary on the 948, no, is it a better set up, by all means, yes.

Kept thinking it was to much internal pressure that caused the rear seal to leak like there was no tomorrow...

Very common problem, crankcase gases have to have a path to escape, if not, they will find the path of least resistance.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On the dipstick deal, yea, you empty the pan then put four quarts in, check the stick it should be at the full mark....da... that's simple..,,, but I've made many bone head mistakes in my time that I'm to embarrassed to share... haha

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OH, Hap, d___ it! YOU really need to write a book... The stuff up there needs to be on paper so it will be shared when your gone from this earth...