• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Strut Compressor

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Anybody use this style of strut tool for the 8

StrutCompreesor.gif

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I haven't used one on a TR8, but I used that exact style on my Miata. The Miata doesn't have struts, but coil-overs and requires a compressor like that one. The springs on the Miata are pretty small in diameter, but the compressor handled it fine.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Art- It should work for the 8 shouldn't it?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I would think so, but could not swear to it without knowing the size of the springs, and the size of the compressor. A problem would occur if you couldn't get the clamshell to close far enough to capture both sides of the spring. The Miata springs are pretty small in diameter, but the compressor just managed to fit over it. They are similar in size to the TR3-TR6 springs. Most strut springs are larger in diameter where that tool was designed for.

If you just need it for a one time use, many auto parts stores rent them or loan you them if you buy the struts from them. You could probably even bring in the whole assembly and see if the tool fits.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It says it can handle 7" wide springs and has a 8" reach.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
How far it opens is not the problem, like I said, struts generally have wider springs then coil overs. With smaller diameter springs, the crucial dimension is how far it CLOSES. I'm talking the clamshell part, where those small light springs on the tool will compress to adjust for different diameter springs. Also, the curved lugs that actually grip the spring are sometimes a bit too large when working with a smaller spring. What is the diameter of the TR8 Spring? Maybe I can give you a more definitive answer knowing that.

I'd almost bet that it will work, as I said, it worked on my Miata, and those coil-overs have a pretty small diameter spring. I also used it on my son's VW GTi when he was putting in low, stiff springs. Had no trouble there. Funny thing about that job, the new springs were short enough, where we didn't even need the spring compressor to install them. We just had to push down on the spring a little to catch the nut. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Personnaly, I think that type of tool is very good for working with struts or coil-overs.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The 2 packages from Woody just showed up at the front door. I turned my shop heat on will have some lunch and then see whats in the boxes.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well here the contents of the packages, no instructions on the strut bearing . I think I saw something in the racing a TR8 guide. It cones with 2 straight pipes for the calipers. Think I'll see about flex instead of having to bend them.

DSCF2544.jpg

DSCF2546.jpg

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I have one of those compressors, Mine says "Snap-On".

Back in the day when I could afford, no, that's not it, was stupid enough to spend the money.

It works, a lot cumbersome, but works.

You don't have to squish the springs very far in order to assemble our LBC's.

Let us know how it works out, and any work arounds you came up with.

Steve
71 Spitfire MK IV "Jehu"
Lancaster PA
Never underestimate the perversity of an inanimate object.

IanF

Jedi Trainee
After not enjoying the process of replacing the front springs in the Spitfire a couple of years ago, when I was looking for a strut spring compressor I looked for one that would do the Spit springs as well if I needed to. As a result, I went a little overboard for the average DIY wrench (although I also work on a few modern cars)...

https://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-6580.html
OTC-6580.jpg

Needless to say, I hope to never need to buy another spring compressor... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yikes, sticker shock. If mine works I'll be happy as punch.

IanF

Jedi Trainee
yeah... it wasn't cheap... I happened to catch it on sale and paid a lot less... Regardless, it's really meant for daily use in a pro garage and not a DIY'er with a tool fetish... but like I said, I work on other mac-strut cars and I haven't had good luck with some of the cheaper compressors due to the coil spacing of the springs.

If anyone in the NJ/PA area needs Spitfire springs swapped, give me a shout. Will work for Guiness. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well if mine doesn't work I'll borrow yours /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

IanF

Jedi Trainee
Hmm... "borrow..."

Well, bear in mind the thing weighs about 70 lbs. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

"Industrial Grade" tool!!

And Robyn can use it on you as a torture device when you start draggin' yer feet over ~electrical~ issues!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As i tore the old apart it turned out Brad had already put the needles in and upgraded the front shocks to KYBs. So I got a good look at the needle arrangement. At the moment the suspension parts are at the powder people. I will post picks of the disk difference and let everyone know of any problems.