• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

building front spring compressor

suzi6

Freshman Member
I am starting front susp work on 74 TR6. I would like to build a spring compressor. I have a heat treated 1/2 X 36" threaded rod, nuts, asst.washers & plate stock for bottom. My main question is, how long is the proper length for this rod ? Any help will be appreciated. ps. I am new to this forum and cant quit reading it.This 74TR6 I bought new 6/74, 130K miles, best car I ever owmed.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mine is 16" but ISTR it was a little longer than absolutely necessary.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Far better too long then too short!

Tinkerman

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tinkerman said:
Far better too long then too short!

Tinkerman
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif I think the only limit to length is how much room you have under the car. Too short would be a disaster. But I guess I'm not really answering the question, just prattling on. Here's a picture of mine using 5/8" rod.
NOTE: I changed those steel plates for much heavier-duty washers for obvious reasons.
springcompressor003.jpg

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
I already commented on this question posed by some one else some time ago, but I was told to shut up...so this is how I do it. Mummmphhmph...numupphmpphm...mememmmphmnm. Works every time, and my face has only minor scares. Not to mention, I will be done and sittin down, smokin cigs and drinkin coffee while you are still crankin those damned nuts.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Since we're sharing, here's a (fuzzy) photo of mine. The nice thing about the length (for me) is that it lets me use an impact wrench on the double nuts to compress the spring.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

tho he did say he'd changed for obvious reasons. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

These have worked on a lot of LBC's but were built for Elan rears in the beginning:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Dr.,

How come it says that I don't have access to download this attachment??

Forget it, I see the pic came up in the post.

Edit: Those spring compressors don't fit very well on the TR's. I've tried them, and went back to the one I made that goes through where the shock is.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You may have hit it as I was changing the size. Did you reload the page yet?

EDIT: and we're typing at the same time, too! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
BOXoROCKS said:
Opps, one last bit of advice,those electrical box plates have BAMMM written all over them.
True, but that's why I changed them for much stronger washers.
I'm just not brave enough to try the BoR method...yet...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
suzi6 said:
ps. I am new to this forum and cant quit reading it.This 74TR6 I bought new 6/74, 130K miles, best car I ever owmed.

Welcome to th' mayhem, suzi6!! I can't tell you the length, been too long since I tore into a TR6 front end. Someone will come along and set it down, tho. I'd go with Randall's length.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I used a hardened threaded rod for mine. Also 1/4 inch plate I did use two washers on the top plate with copper eaze smeared in between them just to make it easier. I think the rod was 5/8, might have been 1/2. I stood well clear of the top of it when I used it!

Worked well and after I used it I sold it on eBay.

Tinkerman

R

RonMacPherson

Aloha, Welcome Aboard Suzi,

Dale, the Tinster, just did a front end rebuild on Amos down in Puerto Rico. He did a very presentable job of posting pics and tools he used. I gotta get outta here, so I can't lookup his post for you.

Hopefully, someone can pull up the post, or you can do a search for it.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
John Mc, sorry I missed your caveat,my mistake. That Evelyn Wood speed reading course, is really all about guessing.

Tinster, you have a gift......

OP
S

suzi6

Freshman Member
Thanks to everyone for the info & pictures. Judging from the pics the length is probably 16 to 20" ?? Thanks again.suzi6

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
If you are going to use the grade zip all thread available at the local hardware store; I suggest putting a little grease on the area traveled by the bolt. My experience has been the metal is so soft that the treads began to distort, the grease helps extend the life of the threads.