• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is building a race replica folly?

BizJetGuy

Jedi Hopeful
My '65 B is still in a disturbingly deep state of disassembly and, while I've entertained the thought a few times, I saw a photo of 222 WAE for sale in the latest issue of Octane Magazine. It hit me that I may have finally found a car worth replicating - a steep racing history and a beautiful livery.

222 WAE

I have no intentions of actually racing so how absurd is the prospect of creating a race replica for road use? And where the heck am I going to find a factory hardtop for a MK I??

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hardtops are still "out there" albeit a bit pricey. As for the "Plan"...

I heartily approve!!! :thumbsup:

It won't do anything for the resale value but WHATA HOOT to DRIVE!!! :laugh:

OP
B

BizJetGuy

Jedi Hopeful
I don't think I would go "full-on" replica - mostly the paint scheme and keeping the interior spartan (no roll cage, either). That way, if I ever needed to move it, bringing it back to an original spec would be relatively easy and painless with a little paint work and installation of carpets, bumpers, etc.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's beautiful! I'd get as much info as possible & duplicate it complete with roll cage & fuel cell.....hardtops are our there...I've got at least 1 extra sitting around here.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There are many that say that collecting old british sports cars is folly. One man's (or woman's) folly is another's joie de vivre.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Great looking colours....I'd say do it!

But then again, I'm building a replica of ~PFF 754~
grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
SEE?!?!?

"Just Do IT!"

:jester:

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Do it!

Anyone have pics of a white or red one I can turn my '74 into?

OP
B

BizJetGuy

Jedi Hopeful
A picture went up on the garage wall tonight - now I have some inspiration and something to work towards. Not that it will help things move any faster...

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
As far as the looks go with whatever trips your trigger, I think the car looks great, as far as making it run like a race car or race car rep, think about it if you wnat to run it on the street, I know a lot of guys who have tried to get the last bit of HP or race prepped cars they want to run for the street and have trouble getting them to run right, or even if running right say a race spec car is not much fun for the street.

Certainly don't know what your plans are, just something to think about.

Folks have done this before, and it all about you having fun with your car, if it makes you grin, go for it.

OP
B

BizJetGuy

Jedi Hopeful
The thought of this direction has given me a boost in working on the car and I'm excited about it again. The project evolved from a rolling restoration originally (which was abandoned due to the extensive rust, poor mechanicals, etc.) to me wanting a high state of correct restoration (think 80 point concours) but the extensive repairs required for this shell have really rendered this impossible. For a project like that, I'd really prefer to start with a solid shell and build from there.

Turning it into a race replica seems to be the perfect direction for this car as it could never be a true show car and it deserves better than the crusher. With the new direction, I don't feel bound by the concours rules that I put on myself and I feel like I can focus my unfortunate tendency for perfection on performance rather than asthetics (no bumpers to re-chrome, etc.).

And besides, a hobby is supposed to be fun. I've been taking myself way to seriously lately (in more aspects than just the MG) and the light-hearted approach that this direction requires has "recharged the batteries" so to speak and will be good for both of us.

Many thanks for the positive comments!

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Go for it :thumbsup: - I love the look of the race MGBs with the hardtops - much more so than the windshield removed race car stye. IIRC there was an article in MG Enthusiast a while back about a similar recreation car used for vintage road rallies in the south somewhere.

I have a track-day Miata and often think it would be fun to replace it with a track day MGB in that style.

OP
B

BizJetGuy

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Tony - actually ran across that one already and it is helpful.

I guess I'm looking for the "rulebook". Specifics about safety equipment, performance limits, electrical requirements, etc. Basically, what you need to do and how far you can go with technology.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ah, try Goggling SCCA for rulebook....or historic racing....I've never tried FIA rules but that might also help.