• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Air Compressor Noise

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello,

I am still looking at compressors. What makes a two stage compressor quite, I have been told the oil in the pump and the rpm, does anyone out there have information on how to pick a quite compressor. So far I have two that I like, the first is a porter cable and the second is a Champion, my neighbor sells the champion and will give me a slightly better price but is still 3-400 more then the first, i think it may be over kill for my garage.
The Porter Cable DB is 70
The Champion DB is 80
Here are a couple of links, what do you think.

https://www.bosstoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=15747
https://ww2.ecompressedair.com/air-compre...r5-8-208-3.aspx

Cheers Phil

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
Bulid a little shed behind your garage for the compressor then you can move all sorts of non car related items out of the garage...Quite plus more room!
Really just get what you can afford keep the oil changed keep the tank purge of water and turn it off when not in use.IMO
I have a site that uses the porter cable compressor Its not quite, all piston pumps are noisy. Quitest are oil less dipharam and screw type and both are way out of reach as a hobby tool.
With the way things are If i were looking for a compressor I would watch for tool acutions and such. who knows a small screw type could be had possibly for not much more than a new twin cylinder piston?

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree with putting it in a separate room and this will make the noise bearable. Just make sure it is heated as the moisture in the bottom will freeze.
Either is good, (you get what you pay for), and compressors are never really quiet.

JMHO

Dave :savewave:

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader

losmorob

Jedi Hopeful
I have the 3HP 21gallon Harbor Freight shown in Jim's link. Just not quite enough umph for my needs. Too long to recover when using impact wrench, cut of tool, etc...About average (somewhat loud) running sound.

Next time, I'm going one step up.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Biggest issue other than sneaking it past the wife and into the back of the garage is running 220 VAC out to there. We have a spare stove used for holiday dinners only in the basement, thinking about simply extending the circuit over to the garage about 30 feet. Not sure how legal that would be per Electrical Code to have a 220 outlet in series vs. going from the fusebox with a new breaker.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah that one I couldn't hide. Since I burned up my C-H 13 gallon using an air hammer to chip floor tile I'm in search of a replacement compressor. Biggest CFM I've found on a 120 VAC is a Sears Professional 30 Gallon which claims 5.9 at 90 PSI. Not quite enough to run any kind of heavy duty stuff but would likely suffice for my needs. Can find on sale for $399 at times.

dklawson

Yoda
texas_bugeye said:
all piston pumps are noisy. Quitest <span style="font-weight: bold">are oil less dipharam </span>and screw type and both are way out of reach as a hobby tool.

Perhaps there are some high-end industrial diaphragm pumps that are quiet but those I have had the displeasure of working with/around on home-compressors have been MUCH louder than comparable size/power piston pumps. I have also seen that small diaphragm pumps subject to frequent use wear out faster than piston pumps. I have yet to see a screw compressor on a home sized unit but that would indeed be great.

For a home pump you probably will find the two-stage systems run a bit slower and therefore, quieter. However, I imagine those would represent a step up in price also. As others have suggested, installing the compressor remotely is a great way to keep the noise to a minimum. If that's an option for you I would buy the compressor that has the highest CFM that you can afford and run power to... as long as it has a cast iron pump. As others said above, change the oil periodically and invest in an auto tank drain and you'll have years of service.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Phil was just looking at the Canadian Tire Flyer for this week and they have "selected" compressors at 25%off - no pictures

losmorob

Jedi Hopeful
Jim_Gruber said:
Since I burned up my C-H 13 gallon using an air hammer to chip floor tile I'm in search of a replacement compressor.

Wait a minute....were you doing a "honey-do" project when you burned up the last one? You get a free pass for that.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
In my experience it seems that most of the noise from an electric compressor comes from the air intake. There is some mechanical noise, but the loudest area is the intake. Most compressors don't have much in the way of a filter or any sound deadening material in that area. They are noisy and also put off a bit of heat when they are running so you shouldn't confine them too much, need some cooling air circulation. If the noise is that large an issue then I'd say build it into a box lined with good fiberglass wall insulation to absorb the sound and still allow for some ventilation. You'll need to have access for some routine maintenance, but plumbing a remote drain valve will make that chore easier.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello,

Busy working, the internet does not work in the aircraft. Having said that we are testing internet in two aircraft and if it works the entire fleet will get internet. I was really hoping someone might have a super quite 2 cylinder unit, they are available at triple the price. I have been talking to several different stores and the news is they all make to much noise. I do not have the extra space to box it in so it will be ear plugs when it is running.
Thanks for the posts, always interesting to see what others are using.
What do you think, If I get it delivered to the garage during the day and then hang my shop coat over it maybe she wont even notice it when she comes home from the salt mine. Or maybe I could say it is the new central vac.

Jp I saw that same flyer, thanks nothing really looked good for me thanks

Phil

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have a Sears Crafstman oilless type, I don't beleive it is a piston type compressor. I forget the exact specs, but they often have them on sale for about $300. Wish I had spent a little more and gotten a piston compressor.

Man it is noisy, volume isn't too bad, I have been in several garages with high quality piston pumps and they are much quieter, not objectionable at all to my ears anyway.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
thanks I have been told a hundred times buy a good compressor be cheap somewhere else, like ignore the 20 year old carpets in the house. Besides its for my LBC
Phil

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
JP and Phil;

You can buy that size air compressor from TSC for far less coin, (read $699) and they will run air tools at the proper level.

Just a thought.

Dave :savewave: